|16: Mobile City Limits - 1711 (3
Location: Royal St, between Conti and St. Francis.
Text: A). When Mobile was laid out, this was the city's northeast boundary point. Royal
Street ran along a bluff overlooking the Mobile River. There were no streets between Royal
and the river, only marshland. (Marker located on Royal Street between Conti and St.
Location: Conception St., between St. Francis and St. Louis.
Text: B). At this point the northwest limits of French Mobile faded into the dense forest
which surrounded the city in 1711 and for many years thereafter. An 1815 map shows the
forest reaching Joachim Street, one block west. (Marker located on Conception Street
between St. Francis and St. Louis streets.);
Location: SE corner of Government, at Jackson.
Text: C). This site marks the southwestern limit of the city of Mobile in 1711. Known then
as Fort Louis de la Mobile [Also see marker numbers 1, 2, and 4],
it had been founded by the French at 27-Mile Bluff in 1702 and moved to its present site
in 1711. Mobile has been a city under six flags. The French flag was followed by the
English, Spanish, American, Republic of Alabama, and again American. This is an unusual
record. (Marker located on the southeast corner of Government Street at S. Jackson
Christopher Branch Chapter, Colonial Dames XVII Center