|37: First Delchamps Store.
Location: Canal Street (two blocks west of Royal).
Text: Near this site, at Canal, Lawrence, and Madison streets, the first Delchamps food
store opened November 8, 1921. Two young men and their three sisters, Alfred F. Delchamps,
Oliver H. Delchamps, Edna H. Delchamps, Katherine E. Delchamps, and Annie M. Delchamps,
pooled their resources and with less than $1,000, founded a cash and carry operation
housed in a frame wooden building. With goodwill and honesty as their major assets, they
began a company which was to become a leader in the food industry in the Southeast. The
business was a cash and carry operation with emphasis on cleanliness and service. Cured
meats, fresh greens, and dry goods were sold in "cents worth" portions. In 1928,
a larger store was opened opposite the original. As of 1995, Delchamps operates 117 stores
in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.* This monument is dedicated to the
employees of Delchamps, who throughout the years have maintained the traditions of value,
cleanliness, and service inspired by its founders.
Mobile Preservation Society 1996.
*Delchamps sold interest in its corporation in 1997 to Jitney
Jungle and is no longer in business.