|There are three historic markers located in the Springhill Avenue area.
The area is small enough to allow interested parties to view the markers via a walking
tour. This area is bordered by Springhill Avenue, McGregor Avenue, Old Shell Road, and
College Lane. A map of the area is provided on this site.
|57: St. Paul's Episcopal Church.
Location: Old Shell Rd. (1/2 blk w. of Tuthill). Text: Established 1858. Land acquired
1850. Chapel completed 1859. Design attributed to parishioners John C. Dawson and Albert
Stein, a distinguished hydraulics engineer. Consecrated 1861 by First Bishop of
Mississippi, William Mercer Green. Renowned Richard Hooker Wilmer, Second Bishop of
Alabama, only bishop consecrated in Episcopal Church, C.S.A., a founder of Mobile
Infirmary and Wilmer Hall, ministered here 1865-1900.
Mobile Preservation Society 1969
|58: Spring Hill College.
Location: Old Shell Rd (1/2 blk w. of Tuthill).
Text: Founded 1830. The first institution of higher learning in Alabama. Federal troops
bivouacked here after Mobile fell, April 12, 1865. The college has been under the Jesuit
Fathers since 1847. [Also see marker numbers 31, 32, 33 and 56.]
Historic Mobile Preservation
|59: Springhill Graveyard.
Location: Mordecai Lane.
Text: Established 1844 by deed of Judge of County Court of Mobile County. Administered by
Spring Hill Cemetery Association.
Erected by Spring Hill
Garden Club and
Historic Mobile Preservation Society 1971
Back to Top
Return to Index
Fort Condé Area
Water Street to Conception Street
Conception Street to Warren Street
Warren Street to Ann Street
Ann Street to Florida Street