For more information about these collections please
email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Disclaimer: Warning concerning
copyright restrictions. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States
Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, archives are authorized to furnish a
photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy
or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study,
scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy
or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable
for copyright infringement. It is up to the user to comply with all copyright laws of the
GOULD, ELIZABETH B.
Elizabeth Gould, an architectural historian, taught at the
University of South Alabama from 1966 to 1975. This collection contains her research notes
for three books: Nineteenth Century Mobile Architecture: An Inventory of Existing
Buildings (1974); From Fort to Port: An Architectural History of Mobile, Alabama,
1711-1918 (1988); and From Builders to Architects: The Hobart-Hutchisson Six
(1997). Box inventories are available. (See also Photograph Collections under the
same heading and under Paul Thompson.) 12.25 cubic feet.
JR., C. L.
C. L. Hutchisson Jr. (1902-1993) was the last of five generations
of a family of builder-architects who were extremely influential in the architectural
development of the city. This collection contains his personal correspondence and business
records, minutes and newsletters from the Mobile Housing Board (1939-1946), the Alabama
Society of Architects (1949-1958), and the Alabama Association of Registered Architects
(1933-1949). Also includes 200 architectural drawings of structures designed by C. L.
Hutchisson Sr. and Jr. (ca. 1908-1972). The drawings are indexed by address as well as the
client's name. 21 cubic feet.
LEAGUE OF MOBILE
The Junior League of Mobile was originally founded in 1925 as the
Mobile Charity League. In 1932 it was incorporated into the Association of Junior Leagues
International (AJLI). The Junior League is committed to promoting volunteerism, developing
the potential of women, and improving communities through effective action and leadership.
League of Mobile Records contain correspondence, minutes, publications, photographs,
scrapbooks, and subject files detailing the operations of the organization from its
founding through 2009. The subject files contain a great deal of information about
volunteerism in post-World War II Mobile, particularly in the areas of childrens
health and education. 44 cubic feet.
Virginia Lott was an information specialist for the Mobile County
Commission, where she worked from 1945 until 1986. The papers in the collection
(1955-1986) include manuals, handbooks, articles, and newsclippings relating to both the
1888 and 1958 Mobile County courthouses, as well as to forts, historic buildings, and
other historic information relating to Mobile County. (See also Photograph Collections under the same heading.) 1.25 cubic
MOBILE HOUSING BOARD RECORDS
The records of the Mobile Housing Board cover roughly the years
1950 to 1980 and concern the urban renewal projects which the housing board directed.
These project areas included Water Street, East Church Street and Central Texas Street.
The collection contains appraisal reports with photos of acquired properties, project
planning books, maps of project areas, correspondence between the Mobile Housing Board and
the Department of Housing and Urban Development officials, various HUD publications, as
well as files concerning the activities of the Mobile Community Action Committee. Box
inventories to the collection are available on site. (See also Photograph Collections under the same heading and under
Mobile Historic Development Commission, and Printed
Material under Mobile Housing Board.) 336 cubic feet.
Minutes, correspondence, newsletters, newsclippings, and
photographs relating to the Old Dauphinway Historic District from 1976 to 1988. 2