For more information about these
collections please email us at email@example.com.
Important Disclaimer: Warning concerning
copyright restrictions. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States
Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, archives are authorized to furnish a
photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy
or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study,
scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy
or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable
for copyright infringement. It is up to the user to comply with all copyright laws of the
A | C | E | G | M | S | T | W | Y
Consists of material (1923-1985) related to the Ahavas Chesed
(Love of Kindness) Jewish congregation. The collection includes the group's
constitution and by-laws, as well as financial data, membership information, minutes,
booklets, audits, scrapbooks, deeds, yearbooks, and bulletins. Also included are documents
pertaining to the congregation's celebration of its 100th anniversary in 1994, as well as
notes and correspondence of Rabbi Stanley Gerstein, and papers associated with several
Jewish organizations. The collection was microfilmed and that microfilm resides at Samford
University. 9 cubic feet.
Celebration 2000 was a series of local interfaith events
commemorating the beginning of the third millennium of Christian history. Religious groups
of all denominations participated in a variety of affairs. This collection consists of
material accumulated for an annotated bibliography of church related sources and the
documents collected by the Celebration 2000 Worship Committee. .5 cubic feet.
A collection of personal correspondence and religious and
educational published materials relating to the Chastang family of Chastang and Bucks,
Alabama (1756-1935, bulk 1880-1935). Most of the correspondence is from Edward Chastang
and F. Z. Chastang. Among the printed materials, one file of interest contains
literature about the Knights of St. Peter Claver (1911-1916). 3 cubic feet.
CHURCH STREET GRAVEYARD
Consists of 1 roll of microfilm on the history of the Church
Vernon Crawford (1919-1986) founded Mobile's first
African-American law firm in 1956. The records in this collection consist of the criminal,
civil rights, and family-related case files
of this black attorney, as well as papers related to the Bishop Phillips and the Apostolic
Overcoming Holy Church of God. 109.75 cubic feet.
EPISCOPAL DIOCESE V CHRIST
This lawsuit, filed on October 12, 2000, stemmed from
theological differences which arose during the 1990s between two factions within this
Epicopal church. One faction consisted of the pastor, members of the vestry, and 50
percent of the membership; the other was made up of the remainder of the church
population. One group voted to the church's association with the Protestant Episcopal
Church of the United States and take the property of the church with them. An agreement
between the litigants was reached on May 29, 2001. The collection included exhibits used
in the case as well as research materials, attorney notes, and briefs. .5 cubic feet.
STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Although the Presbytery of Alabama was organized in 1821, in
Mobile the number of Presbyterians was so small that they formed a union church with local
Episcopalians in 1822. A Presbyterian congregation was formally organized in 1831 and
in 1836 purchased land on Government Street where they built their permanent home, a Greek
Revival-style church that is listed as a National Historic Landmark. The collection
contains microfilmed session minutes and register books dating from 1831 to 1979. The
registers contain records of communicants, baptisms, marriages, and deaths. 3 reels.
Founded in 1829 as a non-denominational organization to aid
indigent widows through the donation of food, clothing, and medical supplies, in 1835 the
Mobile Female Benevolent Society built and maintained several houses called "Widow's
Row" at Dearborn and Warren streets. Later the society purchased the Gazzam home at
the corner of Government and Ann streets to house the women. This is the present site of a
new facility known as Murray House, owned and operated by the Episcopal diocese of the
Central Gulf Coast under the auspices of the Mobile Female Benevolent Society. The
collection contains correspondence, financial records, the 1831, 1937, and 1951
constitutions, articles of incorporation (1841), inmate policies and legal agreements,
resident lists (1873-1960), and minutes from 1860-1864, 1886-1892, 1897-1898, 1953-1954,
1982-1983, and 1988-1989. A finding aid is available on site. 2 cubic feet.
STREET METHODIST CHURCH
Founded in 1840, this Mobile church maintained a continuous
congregation until 1993. Its records include microfilm of membership rolls,
marriages, baptisms, newsletters, and church bulletins, as well as historical information
on ministers that served the church, and files on church members who were featured in
local newspapers. A finding aid is available on site. 19 reels.
ST. PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Two rolls of microfilm containing baptismal records (1902-1997),
burial records (1908-1918 and 1924-1997), church registers (1908-1992), day books
(1901-1910), donation records (1902-1908), and marriage records (1904-1997). There are
gaps in dates occasionally.
Contains 1 scrapbook of postcards, newsclippings, and letters.
Most of the material is of a religious nature, although the scrapbook does contain one
clipping about the Mobile Female Benevolent Society.
This collection dates from the founding of the Episcopal Church
Home in Mobile in 1864. It includes a diary (1864-1865) kept by Sister Harriet, one
of the first three sisters at the home, a ledger book (1867-1872), an admissions journal
(1875-1911), a record book (1915-1919), a minute book (1913-1922), miscellaneous
photographs, and a master's thesis by Alice Blasingame, "A Study of the Episcopal
Church Home in Mobile, Alabama" (Tulane University, 1941). 1 cubic foot.
WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN UNION OF CHICKASAW
Consists of 1 minute book (1927-1933) containing the
organization's constitution and by-laws as well as membership and attendance records. The
organization's objective was to enlist the women of Chickasaw in active Christian service
for the betterment of civic and social conditions. .25 cubic feet.
YWCA OF MOBILE
A scrapbook containing newsclippings, photographs, letters, and
programs of the Mobile YWCA from 1904 to 1949 is available on microfilm. 1 reel.