Guide to the Chastang Family Papers
The Chastang Papers are a collection of documents and personal correspondence of the
Chastang Family from Chastang and Bucks, Alabama. Most of the correspondence is between
Edward Chastang and F. Z. Chastang. Based on the contents of the documents, these men were
engaged in farming in rural Alabama. One family member, V. S. Chastang, was involved in
monuments, granite, marble, and stone, and his business was located on Royal Street in
Mobile. The Chastangs were also involved in, or had an interest in, cigars, as evidenced
by other found business cards. Much of the material consists of invoices from merchants in
Mobile, Alabama, to Edward and F. Z. Chastang. The personal correspondence is to or from
various family members. Religious and educational material make up a large portion of the
collection. Two files are of particular interest. Folder 42 consists of
material relating to The Knights of St. Peter Claver, a religious organization that began
in Mobile and grew to other parts of the United States. Folder 59
relates to Bishop Jeremiah O'Sullivan of Mobile. [See also an Eric Overbey portrait
of O'Sullivan, G-326.]
There are three cubic feet of material in
the collection. Box 1 has correspondence, invoices, religious and
educational material, and legal information, dating from 1880 to 1935. Folder
9 includes photocopies of book title pages for identification. In some cases a page
has been photocopied to give researchers an idea of the book's contents. There are also
spelling and copy blanks in Folder 29 and a copy of Representation
in Industry (1918) by John D. Rockerfeller Jr. in Folder 66. Box 2 contains publications relating to religion, society, and farming. Box 3 is comprised of a collection of religious and school books dating
from 1756 to c1917 (several undated).
1. A.J. Jemison - Grocer, 1881
2. Adam Glass - Wholesale Furniture, 1888 & 1891
3. Advertisements and Business Cards - misc. 1873, 1892, 1908, and n.d.
4. Alabama, State of, 1885-1909
5. American Tie & Timber Co., 1910 & 1913
6. Armour & Co. - Meats, 1891 & 1897
7. Barney, Cavanagh & Long - Hardware, n.d.
8. Bennett, Dr. A. D., 1831-1835, and n.d.
9. Books (List) 1756-c1917, and n.d. [See Also Box 3]
10. C. Fisher - Grocer, 1885
11. Cigar Company, 1916, and n.d.
12. City Delivery Co., 1908
13. Cleveland Bros. - Grain, 1898
14. Colored Mutual Aid & Benevolent Association, 1880
15. Correspondence - Andrews, William, 1907
16. Correspondence - Chastang, Edna J., 1917-1918
17. Correspondence - Chastang, Arnetta C., 1917
18. Correspondence - Chastang, Edward, 1889-1917, and n.d.
19. Correspondence - Chastang, F. Z., 1878-1915, and n.d.
20. Correspondence - Chastang, Louise, 1866-1919, and n.d.
21. Correspondence - Chastang, Mary, 1881-1917, and n.d.
22. Correspondence - Misc., 1881-1924, and n.d.
23. Correspondence - Railroads, 1892-1917
24. Cover of Publication, No Title, October 1897
25. Creole Lumber Co., 1903-1916
26. D. Juzang - Merchandise, 1894
27. Drago Grain Co., 1910-1915 [See Also Harris Grain Co., File 38]
28. E. L. Finn - Dry Goods, 1892
29. Educational - Misc., 1844-1913 [See Also File 9, Box 1;
and Box 3]
30. Everett & Boykin - Naval Stores, 1915
31. F. S. Gibson - Grocer, 1881
32. Financial - Misc., 1884-1916
33. G. A. Leftwich & Co. - Lumber, 1911
34. G. M. Parker & Son - Grocer, 1879-1880
35. Grant Fish & Oyster Co., 1914
36. Groceries - Misc. Dealers, 1881-1917
37. H. Piser - Wool & Furs, 1880-1914
38. Harris Grain Co., Inc., 1915-1917 [See Also Drago Grain Co., File 27]
39. Jackson Bank & Trust Co., 1913
40. James Ducloux & Son - Grocer, 189[?]
41. James McDonnell Co. - Grocer, 1887-1916
42. Knights of Peter Claver, 1911-1916
43. Labors Mutual Aid & Benevolent Association, 1884
44. Lindsey, Calob[?] H. - Attorney, 1886
45. Marietta Mfg. Co., 1892
46. Medal - Membership In [?], n.d.
47. Memorandum & Account Books, 1886-1913/1914
48. Misc. Papers, 1902 and n.d. [Photocopy of map of Monterey, Mexico; original transfered
to the Archives' map collection]
49. Mobile Column Company, 1913
50. Mobile County Sheriff's Office, 1884-1889
51. Mobile County Tax Assessor's Office, 1913-1916
52. Mobile Grain Co., 1914
53. Mobile Item, 1914
54. Metzger Bros., 1885
55. Mordecai, Ober & Anderson - Grain, 1886
56. Mountain & Sons, 1884-1890
57. National Commercial Bank of Mobile, Alabama, 188[?]
58. Ohio, State of, 1886
59. O'Sullivan, Bishop, 1896
60. Palmer & Kelly - Grocer, 1892-1893
61. Photographs - Misc., n.d.
62. Planters Bank & Trust Co., 1913
63. Political - Bolton, H. H., 1914
64. Political - Cullman, Gov., n.d.
65. Religious - Misc., 1907-1909, and n.d.
66. Representation in Industry, by John D. Rockerfeller Jr., 1918
67. Sailbara Nurseries, 1913
68. Southern Express Co., 1915
69. Southern Hardware & Supply Co., 1911
70. Thoss-Thompkins Sporting Goods Co., 1912
71. Tisdale, Dr. M. C., n.d.
72. Turner Supply Co., 1916
73. Wm. H. Ross & Co. - Grocer, 1861
Back to Top
Box 3 [See
also Box 1, Files 9, 29, and 66]
1. The New Testment of Our Lord
and Savior Jesus Christ. New York: John C. Riker, 1832.
2. La Raison du Christianisme ou Preuves de la Verite de la Religion. Paris: Spaia
3. Leslie, Norman. A Tale of the Present Times. New York: Harper and
4. Mitchell, S. Augustus. First Lessons in Geography for Young Children.
Philadelphia: E. H. Butler & Co., 1871.
5. Sadlier's Excelsior Third Reader - By A Catholic Teacher. New York: William H.
Sadlier, 1876, 1888.
6. Greenleaf, Benjamin. New Practical Arithmetic. Boston: Leach, Shewell, and
7. Bible Stories for Little Children. New York: Benziger Brothers, 1882, 1894.
8. Spalding, J. L. Catechism of Christian Doctrine. Benziger Brothers, 1885.
9. Bricktop. My Mother in Law. New York: M. J. Ivers, c1886.
[79 pages; this copy contains only pages 4-76. Complete copy available through
interlibrary loan (microform) from Chicago Center for Research Library].
10. Faith of Our Fathers Forty-Seventh Edition, 1895.
11. Hoenshel, E. J. Hoenshel's Language Lessons and Elementary Grammar. New York:
American Book Company, 1899.
12. Vlymen, W. T. Third Reading Book. Columbus Series New York: Schwartz, Kirwin
& Fauss, 1899.
13. The Third Reader. The New Century Catholic Series New York: Benziger Brothers,
14. Catalogue, Howard University. Vol. V., No. 2, 1910-11. Washington, D. C.:
Howard University, March, 1911.
15. Alton's Descriptive Speller. [c1917]
16. Catechism of Christian Doctrine No. 3 Philadelphia: John Joseph McVey,
17. Catechism of Christian Doctrine [n.d. - No. 2 Advertised in back]
18. Racine. La Religion, Poeme.
19. Modern English, Book One. Emerson and Bender
20. Fifth reading Series. Columbus Series
21. Catholic National Speller. New York: Benziger Brothers [n.d.]
22. Swinton's Word-Book. [n.d.]
23. A Voyage to Brobdingnag. [Gulliver's Travels?] [n.d.]
24. Traite Du Scorbut [Scurvy]. Paris: 1756. ["Jean Chastang"
incscribed on title page. Location: Special Collections]
The following books have no titles,
dates, or other identifications:
25. History textbook
26. Alabama history textbook
27. Geology textbook