Guide to the Samuel Eichold Papers, 1816-1990 [Bulk 1960-1980]
Creator: Dr. Samuel Eichold, 1916-2006
Title: Samuel Eichold Papers
Dates: 1816-1990 [Bulk 1960-1980]
Quantity: 4 cubic feet
Abstract: Documents primarily related to Samuel Eichold's interest in the history of
medicine including his contribution to the Heustis Medical Museum (Mobile, Ala.) and the
Dictionary of American Medical Biography.
Dr. Samuel Eichold was born on May 27, 1916, in Mobile, Alabama. He received both
undergraduate and medical school degrees from New Orleans' Tulane University and served a
naval tour in Samoa, where he specialized in infectious diseases. In 1973, at the age of
59, Dr. Eichold left his private practice in Mobile and became a charter member of the
University of South Alabama College of Medicine, where he remained active until his death
in May 2006.
Among his achievements was his founding
in 1962 of the Heustis Medical Museum. He is also known to have supported the preservation
of many homes in the Oakleigh Historic Garden District and funded the Eichold Fine Arts
Center and Rare Book Room at Springhill College.
Scope and Content:
The Samuel Eichold Papers consists mainly of printed material and photographs relating to
the Dictionary of American Medical Biography and the Heustis Medical Museum. In addition
are items of apparent historical interest to Dr. Eichold, including a sizable collection
of manuscripts, newspaper clippings, and ephemera compiled by Dr. Tucker Henderson Frazer
(1859-1919), and several bound sessions books, et cetera from other doctors of the late
nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
The collection has been divided into five series: 1. The Heustis Medical Museum, 1816-1982
(1 cubic foot); 2. The Dictionary of American Medical Biography, 1860-1980 (2 cubic feet);
3. Medical History, 1879-1984 (1 cubic foot); 4. Printed Ephemera, 1982 (0.1 cubic feet);
5. Dr. Tucker H. Frazer Papers (1 cubic foot).
This material is open for research.
Samuel Eichold Papers, The Doy Leale McCall Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University
of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama
The Heustis Medical Museum, 1816-1982 (Bulk 1960s)
This series contains printed material relating to Dr. Eichold's contribution to the Museum
including articles, descriptions of exhibits, information on acquisitions and donations,
and categorized inventories of artifacts. These artifact inventories are of particular
interest, as are the catalogues and price lists Dr. Eichold collected in his attempts to
stock the museum with items that ranged from the familiar and mundane to the bizarre and
2. The Dictionary of American Medical Biography/Other Medical Professionals, 1860s
-1980s (Bulk 1979-1980)
Making up the bulk of this series are single file folders of biographical material on
various physicians of significance, particularly to the history of Mobile, whom Dr.
Eichold compiled information on for inclusion in the 1984 publication of the Dictionary of
American Medical Biography or for his own interest. Included in his research were such
individuals as famed doctor Josiah Nott; Dr. Henry S. Levert; Dr. Eugene Dubose Bondurant,
dean of the University of Alabama School of Medicine in 1912; and Dr. Tucker H. Frazer, a
later dean of the same university. Of particular note in this series are the number of
photographs, one or more for nearly every doctor whom Eichold researched.
Medical History, 1879-1984 (Bulk 1975-1980)
This series consists of artifacts of historical interest to Dr. Eichold. They include
such items as newspaper clippings, articles compiled according to a particular theme or
subject, and medical ledgers and session books from around the turn of the century. These
last items are of particular interest, especially an operating room record book kept from
1915 to 1921 by the Inge-Bondurant Sanitorium, wherein the names, ages, illnesses, and
treatments of various patients are given in varying degrees of detail. Also contained
within this series is a small collection of lantern slide portraits of several of the
doctors from the nineteenth century.
Series 4. Printed
This series contains only ephemera and correspondence related to the blood glucose
reagent strip Visidex, which Dr. Eichold was evaluating for Miles Laboratories, Inc.
The Dr. Tucker H. Frazer Papers
Tucker Frazer was born in Auburn, Alabama, on February 14, 1859, to Alexander and
Catherine Frazer. He received his B.E. from the Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1878, and
his M.D. from the medical department of the University of Alabama in 1886. He practiced
medicine in Auburn from 1888 to 1891, when he became a lecturer at the University of
Alabama. He would later serve as secretary-treasurer of the school of medicine, dean of
obstetrics, and dean of the medical department. He died in Mobile on December 26, 1919, at
the age of 60.
This series contains mainly newspaper
clippings, correspondence and manuscripts on topics in medicine, particularly dermatology
and gynecology. Many of these manuscripts are disordered and incomplete, but most are
still readable. Separate folders have been created for Religion and Prohibition, topics of
apparent interest to Dr. Frazer. Also included are a number of photographs and
correspondence related to the University of Alabama School of Medicine.
Series 1. The Heustis Medical Museum, 1816-1982 (Bulk 1960s)
2. Faculty, Medical College 1800s
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt and Poliomyelitis, Lessons from Medical History, 12/83
4. Past Presidents of Medical Society of Mobile County
5. Mastin Multi-Purpose Room
6. Cabinet Signs - No Eating, Drinking or Leaning on Cabinets
7-8. Museum Cabinets
9. Hospital Lobby Under Stairs
10. Tax Exemption Forms
12. Loans from Heustis
13. Lenders to Heustis Medical Museum
14. Contract of Gift Forms
15. Contract of Loan Forms
16. Biography Forms
17. Miscellaneous Medical Artifacts
18. Catalog Requisitions
20. Miscellaneous Papers
21. Miscellaneous Medical Artifacts - Prescriptions
23. Miscellaneous Medical Artifacts - Bottles
24-25. Miscellaneous Medical Artifacts - Medical College of Alabama
26. Medical Instruments - Diagnostic
27. Medical Instruments - General Operating
28. Medical Instruments - Hypodermic
29. Medical Instruments - Laboratory
30. Medical Instruments - Nursing
31. Medical Instruments - OB-GYN
32. Medical Instruments - Quackery
33-34. Medical Instruments - Rectal
35. Medical Instruments - Urology
36. Newspaper Articles - Midweek Memo 2/11/88
38-39. Newspaper Articles
40. Newspaper Articles - Historical
41. Civil War Papers
42-43. Civil War
44. Organizations - City Hospital
45. Organizations - Heustis Medical Museum
46. Organizations - Mobile County Medical Society
47. Organizations - Medical Assoc. of Alabama
48. Organizations - Univ. of Ala. Medical School
49. Alumni Assoc. of the Medical College of Ala.
50. Quarantine Station - History of Medicine
51. History of Alabama - Indians
52. History of Hospitals - Mount of Vernon Barracks
53. History of Medicine - Galen of Pergamon
54. History - Radiology
55. Howard Holley, M.D. - University of Alabama/ Birmingham
56. History of Alabama Hospitals
57. History of Medicine Club
58. Gimesh, John S., M.D. - Donor
59. Reichert, Philip, M.D. - Donor
60. Donors to Heustis Medical Museum
61. Becker, Folke, M.D. - Donor
62. Ennis, Arthur L., M.D. - Donor
63. Mobile Medical College Class of 1910 - 60th Reunion
64. Photos - Medical (inventory only)
65. Physicians Miscellaneous
66. Physicians - Acker, P.J.M.
67. Smithsonian Institution
68. History of Medicine Miscellaneous
69. Historical Grants
70. Physicians - Photos of Doctors
71. Medical Assoc. of the State of Alabama
72. Photos of Doctors
73. Heustis Med. Museum USA COM
74. Heustis Medical Museum
75. History of Medical Museum
76. History of Medicine Library
77. Mt. Vernon, Alabama Populous
78. Eichold, Samuel
79. Medical/ Dental/ Apothecary Antiques (catalog) 1983
80. Harriet Wynter, Ltd. - Price Lists, etc. 1983
81. The Antiquarian Scientist, Catalog Fourteen
82. "NYU Physician" Winter 1981-82
83. Medicine/ Livres Anciens - Librarie Bernard Maille
84. Typed Card Information on History
Back to Top
Series 2. The Dictionary of American Medical Biography, 1860s -1980s (Bulk
86. Anderson Papers, William Henry, M.D.
87. Ashburn, Robert, M.D.
88. Baldwin, William Owen
89. Bancroft Papers, Marion J.
90. Riker, Carnrick - Classified
91. Bean, Doctor William
92. Bedsole, J. G.
93. Bozeman, Nathan
94. Baumhauer, T. G.
95. Bondurant, Eugene
96. Bracket, Doctor Newton
97. Brest, Doctor Albert N.
1. Bryce, Peter
2. Cannon, Walter B.
3. Carmichael, John L. M.D.
4. Chambers, Henry H.
5. Cochran Papers, Jerome, M.D.
6. Cole Papers, Herbert P.
7. Colwell, John A., M.D., Ph.D.
8. Cox Papers, H. T.
9. Bondurant Papers, Eugene Dubose, M.D.
10. Crawford, Stanley, M.D.
11. Dreaper Papers, Edward B.
12. Feagin Papers, Earnst S.
13. Fearn, Thomas
14. Festorazzi Papers, Angelo, M.D.
15. Fish, Doctor Jay
16. Fonde Papers, George Heustis
17. Fournier Papers, E. H.
18. Frazer, Emmet B.
19. Frazer Papers, Tucker H.
20. Frazer Papers, Emmett, Sr., M.D.
21. Frolich, Edward D.
22. Gaines Papers, E.P., M.D.
23. Gaines Papers, M. Toulmin, M.D.
24. Gaines Papers, Vivian Pendleton
25. Gantt, Edward
26. Gavin Papers, G. Ed
27. Gifford, Doctor Ray
28. Gilmore Papers, John Tayloe, M.D.
29. Good, Doctor Robert A.
30. Goode Papers, Rhett, M.D.
31. Goodman Papers, W. D.
32. Gorgas, William Crawford
33. Gunnells, Doctor James C.
34. Seale, Harris, M.D.
35. Henderson Papers, W. T., M.D.
36. Heustis Papers, Jabez Wiggins, M.D.
37. Heustis Diary, Dr. J. F.
38. Heustis Papers, James F., M.D.
39. Hill, Luther Leonidus, M.D.
40. Holley, Howard L., M.D.
41. Hudson, William H.
42. Inge Papers, Harry T.
43. Itskovitz, Doctor Harold D.
44. Jackson Papers, William Richard.
45. Kind, Eddie, M.D.
46. James, Doctor Carl F.
47. Jones, John Paul, M.D.
48. Jones Papers, R. Clarence
49. Kaplan, Alan Marc
50. Ketchum, G. A.
51-53. Nott, Josiah Clark
54. Kreisberg, Doctor Robert A.
55. Levert Papers, Henry S., M.D.
56. Kirkland, John W.
57. Lieber, Doctor Charles S.
58. Lopez, Aaron, M.D.
59. Mahorner, Howard
60. Mastin Papers, Claude and Willie, M.D.
61. Matthews, Doctor David
62. McClesky Papers, L. A., M.D.
63. McGeehee Papers, Paul Duncan
64. Marcheal Papers, Edwin Lesley, M.D.
65. Mercier, Charles Sidney, M.D.
66. Millitary Notes on Mobile Physicians
67. Mohr, Charles A.
68. Moorer, Monte L.
69. Mordecai, Edward, M.D.
70. Oberman, Doctor Albert
71. Oshsner, Doctor Alton
72. O'Gwyn Papers, John Coleman
73. Olliphant Papers, Samuel, M.D.
74. Osler, Sir William
75. Owen Papers, Goronwy
76. Pope Papers, Wm. B.
77. Perdue Papers, C. C.
78. Perdue Papers, W. W.
79. Phillips, Doctor John
80. Pugh Papers, S. S.
81. Redwood, George Edward, M.D.
82. Redwood, Robert Higgins, M.D.
83. Reed, Doctor Walter
84. Reese Papers, A. J.
85. Richardson, Doctor Arthur
86. Ross Papers, Frank Armstrong, M.D.
87. Doctor John Runyon
88. Rush Papers, JNO. O.
89. Sanders, William H., M.D.
90. Savage, T. J.
91. Scales Papers, Thomas Sidney, M.D.
92. Schwartz Papers, Joseph, M.D.
93. Sherard Papers, Frank
94. Shin, Doctor Cheolsu
95. Sims, J. Marion, M.D.
96. Sledge Papers, William Henry, M.D.
97. Smelo, Doctor Leon
98. Smith, Carter
99. Smith Papers, D. E.
100. Sorell, Doctor Walker B.
101. Spies, Thomas Douglas, History of Medicine.
102. Spiro, Doctor Howard M.
103. Thomas Papers, James Grey, M.D.
1. Thames Papers, Eugene
2. Thomas Papers, Jim Grey
3. Thomas, Doctor John, Ph.D.
4. Turner, F. H.
5. Toxey Papers, Caleb
6. Versalus, Andreas
7. Wallace, Doctor Robert B.
8. Ward Papers, Wm. G.
9. Welch Papers, William H.
10. Wells, Benjamin Baxter, M.D.
11. Wilson, Doctor Harold J.
12. Wilson Papers, John M.
13. Winthrop Papers, Gilman J.
14. Wright Papers, Ruffin Ashe
Back to Top
Series 3. Medical
History, 1879-1984 (Bulk 1975-1980)
15. Yellow Fever
16. "My Trip to the Hospital," A Diary for a Patient, 1946
17-18. History of Medicine on the Gulf Coast - D'Iberville
19. History of Hospitals, City Hospital
20-21. Sessions Book, 1897-1902
22. Portraits in Radiology and Old Book - Jessie T. Littleton III, M.D.
23. Sessions Book, 1879-1886
24. Sessions Book, 1888-1897
25. Notebook listing various medical disorders and their treatments - n.d.
26. Inge-Bondurant Sanatorium operating room record, 1915-1921
27. Byck's Physician's Ledger, 190?-1909
28. History of Alabama Education
29. Sage/ Gordon
30. Hospitals in Alabama
31. Medical College of Alabama
32. Graduate Medical Education
33. Presentation Transcript - History of Medicine Society Meeting 11/12/75 - Speaker:
34. Lantern Slides
35. Miscellaneous Alabama Medical History, etc.
Back to Top
Series 4. Printed Ephemera
36. Product Evaluation - Visidex
Series 5. The Dr. Tucker H. Frazer Papers (For more on the Frazer family,
see also Box 5, Folder 13 of the Virginia Greer Papers.)
1-9. Medical Manuscript
10. Manuscript - Xanthoma Augioma
11. Manuscript - The Nervous System
12. Manuscript - Rubeola
13. Manuscript - Variola
14. Manuscript - Varicella (Chicken-pox)
15. Manuscript - The Normal Puerferuium
16. Manuscript - Extractiou (prescription paper)
17. Manuscript - Dermatology
18. Speech/Presentation - "Inflammation of Serious and Fibro-Serious Membranes of
19. Manuscript - Puerfural Infection (pp. 315-330)
20. Manuscripts on Medicine
21. Manuscript - Unnamed and Incomplete
22-23. Manuscript - Incomplete
24. Manuscript - Unnamed and Incomplete (pp. 12-30 and 69-122)
25. Manuscript - Pages and Notes
26. Manuscript - Short Works and Notes
27. Manuscript - Eczema (incomplete)
28-29. Manuscripts/Lectures - Incomplete
30. Notes (loose on prescription paper)
31. Correspondence, etc.
32. Report of the Annual Sessions of the Medical Departments of the University
33. Alumni Lists for the Medical College of Alabama, Class of 1860-1891 (not all years
34. Mobile General Hospital - Historical Background
35. Newspaper Clippings, etc. related to the University of Alabama Medical College
36. Medical College of Alabama - Correspondence
37. Medical College - University of Alabama
38. Medical College of Alabama - Student Evaluations (of Dr. Frazer)
39. Photos - Medical College of Alabama
40. Correspondence Received, 1904
41. Programs, Invitations, Etc.
43. Correspondence, Personal
44. Awards and Certificates
46. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography
47. Alcohol and Prohibition
48. Calendar, 1915 weekly
49. Politics and National Events
50. Medical Miscellany
51. Other Doctors