Guide to the
Veterans' History Project Collection
Creator: Alesia McFadden Williams and the Students of African American History 101
Title: Veterans History Project Collection
Dates: August-December 2005
Quantity: .5 cubic feet
Abstract: Contains transcripts and recordings of interviews with local veterans as part of
a class project for the students in African American Studies 101 at the University of
In the fall of 2005, the students in African American Studies 101 interviewed veterans as
part of a class project. Students interviewed participants of every major American
conflict from World War II to the Iraq War, as well as non-combat support personnel.
Because of the demography of the class, the overwhelming majority of the veterans
interviewed were African American. At the end of the semester, some of the interviews were
sent to the National Veterans History Project, a project of the Library of Congress.
Copies of all material were then donated to us for local use.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of seventeen interviews. Six of the interviews are preserved as
video files on DVDs and seven were transcribed, with the actual interviews presumably
being sent to the Library of Congress. Another four interviews are included in student
reports and do not contain exact transcripts or audio files. Also included in the
collection is a brief overview of the project, written by Professor Williams.
The interviews are filed alphabetically under the veterans last name. The box
inventory below also lists their branch of service and active duty dates. The student
interviewer's name is included in parenthesis.
This collection is open to researchers.
Researchers should consult the National Veterans History Project for the correct citation
of this material.
1. Project Description and Overview by Alesia McFadden
2. Boller, Dean E. U.S. Army 1967-1969 (Latimer Boller)
3. Burke, James Phillip U.S. Army 1948-1968 (John T. Burke)
4. Dexter, Augustus V. U.S. Marine Corps 1964-1968 (Bridgette Boggan)
5. Gordon, Charlie B. U.S. Navy Fireman 1943-1945 (Courtney L. Toney)
6. Irvine, Ryan ONeal U.S. Army 1988-2005* (Robert Brown, II)
7. Lee, Robert Earl U.S. Army 1942-1945 (Robbie Lee)
8. McMillan, Revera (Interview on behalf of her deceased husband, Kenneth McMillan)
U.S. Marine Corps 1966-1969 (Courtney Hall)
9. McQueen, Jarrod U.S Army 1990-1991 (Nakia Williams)
10. Mitchell, Vernon U.S. Army 1966-1972 (Bruce Huntly)
11. Quinnie, Marcus Jamaal - U.S. Marine Corps, dates not given (Tiffany A. Turner)
12. Sanders, Elder U.S. Navy, 1955-1975 (Chloe Bozeman)
13. Schilling Jr., William J. U.S. Army, 1942-1945 (Patrick Dooley)
14. Tate, Roderick U.S. Army, 1990-2005* (Shantell Edwards)
15. Thahn, Nguyen South Vietnamese Army, no dates given (Hahn Tran) This transcript
is in Vietnamese.
16. Thames, James Cleophus U.S. Army, 1943-1949 (Jeannette Thames Sylvester)
17. Walker, Kenrick S. U.S. Navy, 1980-1984 (DAntonio Walker)
18. Williams, Terry Lenwood U.S. Air Force, 1970-1991 (Tamara Fowler)
*Note: These men were still on active duty when
interviewed in 2005. Their current status is unknown.