Tuition and Student Fees

2000 - 2001 Bulletin Information

Fees are payable at the beginning of each academic semester on the registration dates shown in the University Calendar at the front of this Bulletin. Payment of fees is an integral part of the registration process, and no registration is complete until fees are paid.

This schedule of fees includes the basic fees required each semester of all students enrolled at the University. Since personal expenses including books, supplies, food, and other living expenses vary, no attempt is made to estimate those costs here. The University reserves the right to change fees, as deemed necessary by the Board of Trustees, without prior notice.

Semester Fees required of all students:

Application Fee (non-refundable)
Registration Fee (non-refundable)

In-State Rate Course Fee (undergrad-per sem hr)

Course Fee (graduate-per sem hr)
Course Fee (Physician Asst-per sem hr)

Out-of-State Rate Course Fee (undergrad-per sem hr)
Course Fee (graduate-per sem hr)
Course Fee (Physician Asst-per sem hr)

Student Health Fee
Student Center Fee

Activity/Athletic Fee
Undergraduate full-time (12 hrs or more)
Undergraduate part-time (6-11 hrs)
Undergraduate part-time (0-5 hrs)
Graduate full-time (6 hrs or more)
Graduate part-time (4-5 hours)
Graduate part-time (0-3 hours)

(Non-Resident Fees are waived for graduate assistants.)

$ 25.00
$ 33.00

$ 89.00


$ 7.50


Estimated costs (example only)
Course Fees of typical student
Full-time commuting students: Semester Year

Taking 16 credit hours
Other Basic Fees



Estimated costs (example only)
Course Fees of typical student

Full-time resident students:

Taking 16 credit hours
Other Basic Fees
Delta Suite Residence
10 Meal Plan



These fees are charged on a semester basis to students who enroll in certain courses:

Art Figure Drawing
Art History Fee
Art Material Fee for Photography
Art Material Fee for Relief / Screenprint
Art Material Fee for Sculpture
Art Material Fee for Ceramics
Art Material Fee for Intaglio / Lithography
Art Material Fee for Graphic Design
Art Material Fee for Professional Practices
Art Material Fee for Two Dimensional Design
Art Material Fee for Three Dimensional Design
Biology Lab Fee
Chemistry Lab Fee
Engineering Fee
Geography Lab Fee
Geology Lab Fee
Physics Lab Fee
Field Experiences
Student Teaching
Applied Music Fee (1/2 hr lesson per week)
Applied Music Fee (1 hr lesson per week)
Piano Class Fee
Nursing Fee
Accounting Laboratory Fee (Elementary Courses)
Computer Laboratory Fee
Low use
High use
$ 45.00
$ 7.00
$ 45.00
$ 75.00
$ 45.00
$ 60.00
$ 30.00
$ 45.00
$ 7.00
$ 30.00
$ 30.00
$ 15.00
$ 30.00
$ 10.50 per sem. hr.
$ 22.00
$ 7.00
$ 22.00
$ 22.00
$ 37.00
$ 60.00
$ 112.00
$ 22.00
$ 22.00, 60.00
$ 15.00


"All students enrolled in courses utilizing university computing facilities will be charged a fee. The amount of the fee ($15.00 or $22.00) will be based on the planned level of computer utilization as defined by individual departments."

Karate & Judo
Bowling Fee
Racquetball (PE 147)
Army ROTC Activity Fee
Scuba Diving
Fencing Fee
Skeet, Trap, and Clay Bird Shooting
NSE 403, 404 Aerospace Education
College of Education - Reading & English Test
Experimental Psychology
Marine Science Lab Fees
$ 12.00
$ 22.00
$ 37.00
$ 22.00
$ 82.00, 112.00
$ 27.00
$ 45.00
$ 15.00
$ 22.00
$ 15.00
$ 22.00
$ 30.00

These fees are charged on a semester, yearly, or one-time basis or when certain conditions are present such as changing courses:

Application Fee (one-time, non-refundable fee)
Late Registration or Late Payment Fee

Vehicle Registration Fee
(annual fee required of any student driving a motor vehicle on campus)
Fall Semester
Spring  Semester (only available during Spring Semester)
Summer Semester (only available during Summer Semester)

Change-of-Course Fee
Graduation Re-evaluation Fee

Document Fax Fee

College-Level Examination Recording Fee
Credit-by-Examination Fee (plus usual course fee)

Orientation Fee (one-time, non-refundable)
Fall Semester
Spring, and Summer Semesters

International Student Fee (per semester)
Transcript Fee (per transcript)
Graduation Application Fee
Professional Liability Coverage (per academic year, non-refundable)
Photo ID Fee (non-refundable, good for five years)
Reinstatement Fee (non-refundable)
Duplicate Diploma
$ 25.00
$ 25.00

$ 15.00
$  7.50
$  7.50
$ 25.00
$ 15.00

$ 5.00
$ 15.00

$ 10.00
$ 30.00

$ 75.00
$ 40.00

$ 45.00
$ 6.00
$ 25.00
$ 25.00
$ 5.00
$ 30.00
$ 25.00

The University offers a variety of residence hall accommodations and meal plan options. Students living in the residence halls (excluding the Government Street location) who are classified as freshmen are required to purchase a meal plan. The charges shown below are for one semester. These rates are subject to change by the Board of Trustees.

Residence Hall Fees (Costs are Per Person Per Semester)

Beta Complex
Two-person efficiency apartment
Four-person apartment
Apartment for disabled

Gamma Complex

Two-person efficiency apartment
Four-person apartment
Two-person suite
Four-person suite
Suite for Disabled
Apartment for Disabled

Delta Complex

Two-person suite
Two-person efficiency

Epsilon Complex

Two person suite
Epsilon 1
Epsilon 2

1500 Government Street

Double Efficiency
Single Efficiency

$ 958.00/Sem.
$ 848.00/Sem.
$ 1,002.00/Sem.

$ 958.00/Sem.
$ 848.00/Sem.
$ 1,088.00/Sem.
$ 731.00/Sem.
$ 889.00/Sem.
$ 1,002.00/Sem.

$ 845.00/Sem.
$ 935.00/Sem.
$ 1,164.00/Sem.
$ 1,303.00/Sem.

$ 870.00/Sem.
$ 918.00/Sem.

$ 1,099.00/Sem.
$ 1,423.00/Sem.

Rent rates are listed per student per semester and include local telephone service and voice mail. Long distance charges will be provided by Telecommunications.

Board Plans
Information on the Board Plans is available through the Campus Dining, located in the Student Center, 460-6296. Refer to Dining Services for additional information.

The University of South Alabama Federal Credit Union is offering USA students a way to pay tuition and fees, housing, and required meal plans in four monthly installments during the semester, subject to credit approval. To qualify for this plan, a student must make an initial payment to the University covering 25% of total charges prior to the beginning of classes (or before check-in for housing charges), and could then obtain a special short-term tuition loan for the remaining 75%, which would be repaid over the next three months. The interest rate is anticipated to be 12% Annual Percentage Rate, although this rate is subject to change. The length of repayment and number of installments may vary depending on the date of the loan. Students not attending on-campus regular credit courses are not eligible to participate, and off-campus housing cannot be included in eligible charges. In order to qualify for this tuition loan, a student must join the USA Federal Credit Union by depositing $25 into a share account. This amount will be returned when the student no longer wishes to belong to the Credit Union. Further information and an application can be obtained from the Credit Union located in the University Commons or from the Bursarís Office. A Credit Union representative will be on campus, (University Center Room 222) on Thursday and Friday before classes begin, and during the first three days of classes.

(The University of South Alabama Federal Credit Union is federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration.)

A student who withdraws from one or more courses may request a refund on course fees only. The refund period is the first three weeks of the semester and refunds are made as shown below.

Withdrawal Date -   Percent of Fees Refunded

Within first week of classes 100%
Within second week of classes 75%
Within third week of classes 50%
Within fourth week of classes 50%
After four weeks of classes 0%

For complete withdrawals, other fees are proportionately refunded also, except those listed as non-refundable. The actual dates for withdrawals are shown in the University Calendar section of this Bulletin.

After the last day to withdraw from classes, students may withdraw from the University if medical reasons can be documented.

Application fees and registration fees (including the late-registration or late-payment fees) are non-refundable fees.

A student called for military service during the school term should consult the Bursar regarding refunds of fees.

Students of residence halls who withdraw from the University before the end of the second week of classes will receive a refund of 50% of prepaid rent less a $10.00 cancellation charge.

Meal plans may be canceled only if a student withdraws from the University. A copy of the withdrawal notice must be presented to the Dining Services Office located in the Student Center. The refund will be prorated based on the unused portion of the meal plan and a $25 cancellation fee will be charged.

Return of Federal Financial Aid Refunds

When a student completely withdrawals from school, a portion of Federal Financial Aid grant or loan funds, except for Federal Work-Study earnings, must be returned to the applicable federal program(s).

The refund is based on the concept of Ďearnedí and Ďunearnedí federal financial aid and how it relates to the percentage of time the student was enrolled. The percentage of enrollment completed determines the percentage of earned aid.

For example, if a student attends 25 days of a 100 day term, the percentage of earned aid is 25%; and therefore, 75% of the unearned aid, up to the total of institutional charges, will be returned to the federal financial aid programs. Institutional charges consist of tuition, fees and campus housing (excluding Hillsdale).

In some circumstances, a student may need to repay a portion of the unearned aid. This repayment would not be more than Ĺ of the grant monies initially received. The student will be notified if they owe a federal repayment.

If a student completely withdraws after completing 60% of the term, then it is assumed that the student has earned 100% of their federal aid award and no funds will be returned to the federal programs.
For an example of the proposed Return of Title IV Funds Worksheet, please see either the Office of the Bursar or the Financial Aid Office located in the Administration Building.

A non-resident fee has been adopted for those students who are enrolled at the University of South Alabama and who are non-resident students. All non-resident students, including undergraduate, graduate and medical students, will be required to pay the non-resident fee.

Residents of Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties in Florida, and George, Green, Harrison, Jackson, Perry and Stone Counties in Mississippi will be considered "Service Area Residents" and will not be charged out-of-state fees. Students are required to submit documents to substantiate their residency in these counties.

The classification of students, as resident or non-resident, will be determined in accordance with the following policy and definitions:

1. A resident student is a student who:

  1. has an intention to remain in the State of Alabama or the Service Area (see #4 below for definition of Service Area) indefinitely,

  2. has a specific address or location within the State of Alabama or Service Area as their residence (not a residence hall),

  3. possesses more substantial connections with the State of Alabama or Service Area than with any other state, and is not in Alabama or the Service Area for the sole purpose of obtaining an education, and

  4. is not a "minor." However, a student who, at the time of registration, is a "minor" may obtain resident status based upon the student's "supporting person."

"Minor." An individual who, because of age, lacks the capacity under Alabama law. Under current law, this means a single individual under 19 years of age and a married individual under 18 years of age, but excludes an individual whose disabilities of nonage have been removed by a court of competent jurisdiction for a reason other than establishing a legal resident in Alabama.

"Supporting Person." Either or both of the parents of the student, if the parents are living together, or if the parents are divorced or living separately, then either the parent having legal custody or, if different, the parent providing the greater amount of financial support, which may also include court-ordered responsibility for educational expenses; if both supporting parents are deceased or if neither has legal custody, supporting person shall mean, in the following order: the legal custodian of the student, the guardian, and the conservator.

2. Students may also be considered resident students if they:

  1. are a full-time employee of the University of South Alabama or the spouse of such an employee,

  2. can verify full-time permanent employment within the State of Alabama or Service Area, or is the spouse of such an employee, and will commence said employment within 90 days of registration at the University of South Alabama,

  3. are a member, or spouse of a member, of the United States military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama or the Service Area,

  4. are employed as a graduate assistant or fellow by the University of South Alabama,

  5. are an accredited member or spouse of an accredited member of a consular staff assigned to duties in Alabama or the Service Area, or

  6. were enrolled during the Spring Quarter 1996 at the University of South Alabama and classified as a resident for tuition purposes, and maintain continuous enrollment every semester excluding summer.

3. All other students not classified as resident students under paragraphs 1 and 2 shall be deemed to be non-resident students for purposes of this policy.

4. The following counties in the states of Florida and Mississippi shall be defined as the University of South Alabama Service Area. Florida: Escambia, Santa Rosa. Mississippi: George, Greene, Harrison, Jackson, Perry, Stone.

A non-resident student may apply in writing for reclassification prior to any subsequent registration. In determining whether a student is in fact a resident student, the student or "supporting person" must declare, on the University of South Alabama Application for Residency Reclassification, an intention to remain in the State of Alabama or Service Area.

In addition the following criteria must also be met (if the student is basing their residency on a "supporting person," that party must provide the following information):

A. A specific address or location within the State of Alabama or Service Area as the student's residence.

B. Possession of more substantial connections with the State of Alabama than with any other state which may be shown by providing the following:

1. Required connections:

  1. Voter Registration in Alabama or the Service Area or Alien Registration Card

  2. Address shown on one of the following:

  1. Selective Service registration

  2. Auto title registration

  3. Insurance policies

  4. Last Will and Testament

  5. Hunting/Fishing License

  6. Stock and bond registration

  7. Annuities/Retirement plans

  8. Driver's License (or official non-driver identification card)

2. In addition three of the following will support proof of substantial connection; however consideration will be given to any documents submitted:

  1. Graduation from an Alabama or Service Area high school

  2. Payment of Alabama or Service Area income taxes as a resident

  3. Ownership of a residence or real property in the Alabama or Service Area (include proof of ad valorem taxes paid)

  4. Full-time employment in Alabama or Service Area (notarized letter from employer required)

  5. Spouse/parent/child residing in Alabama or Service Area

  6. Previously lived in Alabama or Service Area

  7. Possession of an Alabama or Service Area license to do business or practice a profession in the state or service area

  8. Ownership of personal property in Alabama or Service Area, payment of taxes on property, possession of Alabama or Service Area license plate

  9. Maintenance of checking account, savings account, safety deposit box, or investment account

  10. Membership in religious, professional, business, civic, or social organizations in Alabama or Service Area (provide letter on organization letterhead from organization officer or membership documentation)

In the event of an unpaid balance of any nature on the studentís account (including any unpaid check returned by a bank), enrollment for subsequent terms will not be allowed, no transcripts will be issued including any for transfer of college credits, and the studentís diploma will be held until the balance is paid in full. If it is necessary to refer an account to an outside collection agency, any costs incurred in collection will be assessed to the account, including any attorneyís fees, and the account may be reported to credit bureaus.

If a studentís University account has an outstanding balance due and the University has in its possession any funds payable to the student (from payments or credits applied to the studentís account, payroll checks, and/or any other source, except federal financial aid awards), the University reserves the right to withhold the funds necessary to clear the studentís outstanding balance and to cover any collection costs incurred. Once those amounts are paid, any remaining funds are paid to the student. 

Checks drawn on out-of-town banks to a maximum of $25.00 may be cashed at the Bursarís Office by presenting a valid I.D. card. A $15.00 charge will be made on each returned check not paid by the bank. Checks are not cashed for students during the last two weeks of classes each semester.


Table of Contents

bottomline.gif (787 bytes)

USA Logo

University of South Alabama   -  Mobile, AL 36688-0002 / (334) 460-6101
For comments or questions about our web site, please Contact Us
Last changed: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 09:33:50 AM