University of South Alabama
Home Index Search Directories Faq
USA Undergraduate/Graduate Bulletin 2005-2006


The Division of Student Affairs is responsible for that part of the student’s total educational experience which takes place outside the formal classroom program. Among its concerns are housing, Student Center, Mitchell Center, student activities, recreation, student organizations, programs, disciplinary actions, disabled student services, community service, personal counseling, minority affairs, testing services, food services, bookstore, and University Police. Through such activities as the Student Government Association, the students are given a responsible voice in the governance of the University. (See Student Handbook, The Lowdown.) Students also participate as members of University-wide committees as well as on committees within the colleges of the University.
The University of South Alabama, concerned with the total growth and development of its students, believes that attention should be given, not only to the intellectual aspect of this growth but also to the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual aspects. Through all of the services and programs of the University, students will hopefully acquire, along with a sound intellectual competence, a maturing sense of values.
The mission of the Student Center is to serve as a focal point of the campus where the University family - students, faculty, staff and alumni, as well as the extended community, can participate in informal association outside of the classroom. As the center of the University community it provides programs by students and for students which encourage the understanding and appreciation of cultural pluralism and ethnic diversity. It also provides opportunities for citizenship, social responsibility, and leadership development where students can enhance their educational development and enrich the University’s environment.
Located in the building are lounge areas, Southpaw Services, a computer lab, a student art gallery, office space for student organizations, recreational facilities, dining services, and other service facilities. Six meeting rooms, a ballroom, and audio-visual equipment are available at no charge to student organizations, and administrative and academic departments. Individuals and outside organizations may reserve space and equipment for a small fee.
Reservations for any space in or around the Student Center may be made in Southpaw Services, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at (251)460-6077.
The Campus Recreation Department is designed to offer a wide variety of recreational activities to the entire University community. Campus Recreation accommodates many styles of participation, including team and individual competition in a variety of sports and activities. Student groups may use recreational facilities or equipment for social activities approved by the Campus Recreation Department. The continuing goal of the recreation program is to provide activities that offer optimum benefits of enjoyment, health, social interaction, and sportsmanship to participants.
The Student Recreation Center opened in 1992 with racquetball courts, basketball courts, an indoor running track, and a fitness center. The Intramural Field Complex, containing six multi-purpose playing areas, opened fall semester 2003. The telephone number for the Student Recreation Center is (251) 460-6065, and the telephone number for the Intramural Field Complex is (251) 461-1627.
The University Counseling Services are staffed by professional counselors who are available to assist students with personal problems as well as with academic and vocational concerns. All types of adjustment and emotional problems are handled, including marriage and pre-marriage counseling, on a self-referral basis. Psychotherapy is provided by qualified counselors and referrals are made to various agencies as needs arise. The Counseling Service provides psychological testing and evaluation and coordinates other appropriate “campus survival” activities. No fees are charged for counseling, but, in some cases, a small fee is required for certain testing services. Counseling records are considered professional information and are protected accordingly. Personal confidences are strictly respected. Students may seek information or appointments either by telephoning (251) 460-7051 or by visiting the Counseling Services, located in Alpha Hall East, Room 326.
The University has established a Center for Substance Abuse Education and Prevention. This office provides assessment, counseling, intervention, and referral services for University students and employees. There is no charge for information or on-campus counseling. Contact the Manager, Substance Abuse Counseling at (251) 460-7980 located in Alpha Hall East, Room 326.
The USA Police Department has a Crime Prevention Program and a Crime Prevention Officer located on the main campus in Faculty Court South, Room 20. The telephone number is (251) 460-6611. Our Prevention Program includes lighting and safety programs, Rape Awareness Seminars and information, self-defense information, and campus safety tips.
The University offers special services to students with disabilities. Students requesting services must submit documentation regarding the disability to the Special Student Services office prior to receiving appropriate services. Services provided may include but are not limited to: priority registration, counseling, advocacy training, enlargements for the visually impaired, notetakers, textbooks on tape, readers, writers, extended testing time and any reasonable accommodation covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and ADA of 1990. The Special Student Services office is located in the Student Center, Room 270, (251) 460-7212.
The University does not permit the possession, consumption, or distribution of alcohol by an individual on any of its campuses and in any of its facilities except as designated. Organizations may be permitted to have alcohol at events if permission is granted through the Office of Campus Involvement. The possession, consumption, and/or distribution of illegal substances without a medical prescription are forbidden. Violation of either policy is subject to both University administrative action and criminal prosecution. See The Lowdown for a full description of the policy.
The University of South Alabama's campus transportation system, JagTran, was created to provide easy, safe, and efficient transportation for USA students, employees and visitors. Some JagTran vehicles run continuously throughout the day on the main campus. No tickets, money, or reservation are needed. Students will park their cars in color-coded lots, which they choose, and then walk or ride JagTran. For more information, visit
The Office of Minority Student Affairs, located in 110 Student Center, is committed to providing programming for cultural awareness, coordinate efforts to increase the retention of minority students, encourage minority students to participate in all aspects of campus life, and provide leadership development for aspiring student leaders.
The Student Programming Board, Jaguar Productions, presents activities to serve the cultural, educational, recreational, and social interests of students. Those students who are directly involved have opportunities to exemplify creative thinking and leadership outside the classroom.
Student Programming functions through committees, such as Fine Arts, Horizons, Club South, Trips and Tours, Concerts, Movies, Special Events, Technical and Promotions. Students select, publicize and produce the events. All students are invited to join these committees.
Students attending the University of South Alabama are accepted as responsible adults working with their faculty colleagues in search of knowledge. Rigid regulation of personal conduct will not be necessary since freedom as an objective of education is difficult without the actual existence of freedom.
Such freedom must be balanced by individual responsibility and respect for the rights, responsibilities, and freedom of others. Students, therefore, will be held accountable for their own decisions and actions. Failure to assume responsibility for actions that jeopardize the rights and freedoms of others or involve the integrity of the University will result in disciplinary review.
The University holds its students to high standards of academic excellence and similarly expects high standards of individual conduct. The Spirit of South Alabama was adopted by the Student Government Association as a basis for expectations from our students. Persistent violations of expected standards or established regulations will necessarily involve appropriate disciplinary action. The University reserves the right to deny admission or continued attendance to students whose decisions and actions are contrary to the purposes and procedures of the University. The Lowdown, student handbook, contains, the Code of Student Conduct.
The Student Academic Conduct Policy is presented in the student handbook, The Lowdown. Please refer to that publication.
Over one hundred eighty professional, departmental, special interest clubs, religious groups, and honor societies are active at the University. These organizations represent a wide variety of disciplines and interests and provide an opportunity for every student to get involved. Any student group seeking recognition is encouraged to pick up application forms in the Office of Campus Involvement, Room 129, Student Center, (251) 460-7003.
The University receives federal funding to provide support services to students who are first generation (i.e., parents did not graduate from college), income eligible, and/or disabled. These services are free tutoring, study skills training, counseling, assistance in obtaining financial aid, and assistance in securing admissions and financial information for enrollment in graduate and professional programs. Students are also assigned to a faculty mentor. Students who wish to participate in this program should contact the Student Support Services Office, Room 161, Student Center, (251) 460-6613.
Talent Search is a federally funded program sponsored by the University. This program identifies at-risk young people in middle schools and high schools with potential for an education and encourages them to continue their education to graduate from secondary schools and enroll in programs of post secondary education. High school dropouts are also encouraged to return to school after "dropping out". Tutoring for the program participants is provided by USA students. For information contact the Educational Talent Search Office, UCOM 5700, (251) 380-2620.
All students, faculty, and staff are required to register their vehicles through the Bursar's Office. Parking regulations are issued with each parking hang tag.
All students will choose a parking area hang tag and their vehicle will be parked in that area ONLY between 7:00 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. on the main campus, Monday through Friday. Faculty/Staff (blue spaces) are off-limits for student use until 5:00 p.m.
Anyone driving a car to campus without a current hang tag should obtain a temporary permit from the University Police; visitors should obtain a Visitor Permit.
University Testing Service serves as a regional testing center for national testing organizations. Testing is provided as requested by the various departments of the University. Most national entrance examinations are administered by the center. Information regarding specific test offered, schedules, and registration materials may be obtained by contacting the University Testing Service located in Alpha Hall East, Room 326, at (251) 460-6271.
The Upward Bound program is a college preparatory program for high school students in the Mobile County Public School System. It provides academic counseling, tutoring, cultural enrichment and a six (6) week summer residential program including academic classes. The purpose of the program is to provide each participant with the necessary skills to successfully enter and complete post-secondary institutions. USA students serve as tutors and residential counselors for the participants. For information, contact the Upward Bound Office, Delta 2, Room 213, (251) 460-7322.
Competing in both men’s and women’s sports on the intercollegiate level, the University’s athletic program fulfills a vital role in giving the students a well-rounded environment of study and recreational entertainment. The University is an active member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division 1AAA. Teams are maintained yearly in baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, tennis, track, and volleyball. Governed by regulations set forth by the President of the University, the Director of Athletics, the NCAA, and the Sun Belt Conference, athletic participation and expansion is occurring as rapidly as facilities permit.
The Student Health Clinic is located at the end of Clinic Drive in the Health Services Building, Suite 1200. Ambulatory care services are available during each semester to all students actively enrolled at the University.
The Clinic is open and staffed by a Physician, Physician Assistants, nurse practitioner, and Registered Nurses from 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. when school is in session, Monday through Friday. Appointments can be made by calling (251) 460-7151 between 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Laboratory, x-ray, pharmacy and specialty services are available on a fee-for-service basis with payment due at the time services are provided. After regular hours, a provider is on call for urgent problems and can be reached by calling Student Health at (251) 460-7151. Students who require more extensive care for medical or surgical problems will be referred.
Health and Prevention Education programs are also available and can be scheduled by calling Student Health. If students wish to participate directly in a peer health education program or the Student Health Advisory Council, they may inquire by calling Student Health.
All students should have medical insurance. An informational brochure on an optional student health insurance is available in the Admissions Office, Student Center Information Desk, and the Student Affairs Office. This information is available on the USA web site under Services. Click on Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan. Students are encouraged to purchase this policy if they do not have other medical insurance.
The music department sponsors a number of musical organizations open to interested members of the entire University student body on credit and non-credit basis. These organizations include Concert Choir; University Chorale; University Symphonic Band; Jazz Band; Athletic Pep Band; Woodwind, Brass, Guitar, String, Percussion, and Piano Ensembles; and University Opera Theatre.
The student newspaper, The Vanguard, is distributed free to students and is under the direction of a Board comprised of representatives from the Student Government Association, The Vanguard, the faculty, media services, and public relations. The editor and business manager are selected from applications submitted by interested students.
JAG-TV is seen throughout the campus on the University’s closed-circuit cable system and is under the direction of a board comprised of representatives from the Student Government Association, The Vanguard, JAG-TV, faculty, media services and public relations. The general manager is selected from applications submitted by interested students.
The University and the community offer to students an opportunity to participate in a variety of cultural and recreational programs. Among them are concerts by symphonic and chamber organizations, choral groups and choirs, ballet and opera productions, theatre, art exhibits, film series, and lecture and discussion conferences. In many of these programs, students are urged to participate as performers. Special events are scheduled on the campus, and reduced rates for students are arranged for many civic programs.
The University Police Department is available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to assist faculty, staff and students with any type of emergency or other assistance. University police officers are sworn by the State of Alabama and are certified by the Alabama Police Officers Standards and Training Commission. The University Police Department may be contacted by calling 511 (if an emergency and from an on-campus phone) or (251) 460-6312 for non-emergency. We encourage members of our campus community to be responsible for their own safety as well as the safety of others and to report crime occurrences to the University Police Department. In accordance with the Campus Security Act of 1990, the University’s “Campus Security Policies and Crime Statistics” are published and available at the Police Department’s web site by clicking on “Clery Act” or by going to Printed versions of the policies and crime statistics may be obtained from the University Police Administration office located in Faculty Court South, Room 20.
The Police Department also has a Special Services Unit. This unit is designed to anticipate, prevent, and investigate behavioral concerns to include:
  • Threats directed to a member or property of the University Community
  • Any person exhibiting threatening or unusual behavior
  • Administrative hearings or meetings that may pose a threat to those involved during or after the meeting
  • Any social or family issue that may pose an on-campus threat to anyone
If there are any questions or concerns, please contact one of the following:
Special Services Unit 460-6611 Mail: Attn: Special Services Unit
After-Hours 460-6312   USA Police Department
Anonymous Crime Tip Line 460-6667   Faculty Court South (FCS) RM 20
The University of South Alabama is approved for the education of veterans, active duty members, and dependents of disabled veterans who are eligible for benefits under the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Office of Veterans Affairs is located in the Administration Building, Room 240 on the main campus. The office provides services to all veterans and dependents of veterans. Students who wish to use veteran education benefits must contact the Office of Veterans Affairs (251)460-6230.
The University of South Alabama does not have a tuition/fees deferment policy. Tuition and fees are due at the time of registration and are the responsibility of the student. Starting V.A. benefits or transferring them to USA may take up to eight weeks. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Veterans Affairs as early as possible.
For information concerning “Transfer Credit from Military Service School,” see Admissions/Enrollment Services Section.
A college education offers students the opportunities for advanced learning, interesting career options, and meeting new people. An additional opportunity of the college experience is on-campus living where learning and personal growth take place in the community environment of University housing.
The University of South Alabama offers a wide range of housing facilities to meet the lifestyles of a diversified student body. The options available include suites, apartments, efficiencies, and a limited number of private suites and efficiency apartments. Family housing is also available on a limited basis. Some Greek organizations also offer on-campus housing leased from the University for their members.
All students accepted by the University will be sent housing information and a contract. Assignments are made on a “first come, first serve” basis. Students and parents should be aware that the signed contract and required prepayment is due when the contract/application is submitted. Students under 19 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian co-sign their housing contract. The balance of the housing charge is due by University fee payment deadline.
The residence halls at the University of South Alabama have several different types of accommodations to meet the varying needs of students.
Two-Person Suites: Most rooms in the Delta Area are two-person suites that open onto an exterior walkway. The Epsilon Area offers two-person suites that open onto an interior hallway. Both types of rooms have a private bath.
Four-Person Suites: Located in the Gamma Area, these suites are designed to accommodate four students. Gamma suites are composed of two rooms joined by a bathroom.
Four-Person Apartments: Both the Beta and Gamma areas offer two bedroom apartments with a living/dining space, a private bathroom, and a kitchen.
Two-Person Efficiency Apartments: A limited number of studio-type apartments are available in the Beta and Gamma areas. These apartments consist of a living/sleeping space, a private bathroom, and a kitchen.
Two-Person Efficiency Suites: This type of room is available on a limited basis in Delta VI and Epsilon II. Delta VI offers a kitchenette unit as an additional feature to the two-person suite. The two-person efficiency suite in Epsilon II offers a mini-microwave/refrigerator unit.
Private Rooms: A limited number of private suites and private efficiencies are available in the Delta and Gamma areas.
Suites and Apartments for the Disabled: The Gamma and Beta areas have accommodations suitable for the disabled. A limited number are available to students who qualify as disabled under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students must be registered with the Special Student Services Office to qualify for this type space.
Greek Housing: Accommodations in the Greek houses are two-person suites with a private bath. Each Greek house is equipped with a laundry facility that is included in the cost of the room. Occupancy, in the Greek area, is limited to members of the individual organizations who have houses on campus. Greek Area residents are subject to the same Housing regulations as non-Greek residents and are required to sign the same contract required of all residence hall students. Note: Students in the Greek halls pay for local phone and Internet connection separately.
Furnishing: All residence hall rooms are equipped with beds, closets, and dressers. Also, all rooms are heated and air-conditioned through individual room units or through a central system. The apartments are also furnished with living room furniture, a dining table and chairs. Local telephone service, with voice mail, power, water, gas, campus cable TV, unlimited use laundry, and a high-speed Internet connection are included in the semester rent. Each residence hall area has a common building or space that includes a TV room, laundry facilities, and vending machines available for student use. A deli/convenience store is also located in the Delta Commons building.
General Residence Hall Information: All students are assigned based on the date their contract and prepayment are received by the Department of Housing. The residence hall contract provides housing for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring Semesters) or from the initial date of the contract to the end of the academic year. Students may change rooms and/or areas after receiving appropriate authorization and when vacancies are available. A residence hall contract may be canceled only if the student fails to enroll, withdraws from the University, marries, participates in a co-op or intern program outside the Mobile area, or graduates from the University, during the term of the contract. Refer to the residence hall contract for more specific information.
Freshmen students at the University of South Alabama have the opportunity to participate in a program designed to assist in their transition to college life. The ESSENCE freshmen live in the Epsilon halls and take a new student seminar course CP 100. ESSENCE students also have a peer advisor and tutors to assist them. New students should indicate that they want to be part of the ESSENCE program on their housing application.
The University of South Alabama owns and operates two-and three-bedroom houses for rent to enrolled USA students and current faculty and staff. Hillsdale Heights is a residential community adjacent to campus. These houses are available to married students, students who are single parents with dependent children, students 19 years or older, and students who are currently enrolled. Houses in the Hillsdale community are equipped with stove and refrigerator but are otherwise unfurnished. Most of the houses are not air-conditioned. Students are required to sign a six-month lease.
General Housing Information: The information above has provided a general outline of the different styles of housing available at the University of South Alabama. It is recommended that any student having questions concerning housing should contact the Department of Housing at the address or appropriate telephone number listed below: University of South Alabama, Department of Housing, Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Residence Hall Information (251) 460-6185 or toll free (866) 872-0140
Family Housing/Hillsdale Information (251) 460-6187
Meal Plan Information: (251) 460-6296
General Housing Information: (251) 460-6185
Housing and Residence Life web site:
The following Auxiliary Student Services are found at the University of South Alabama.
As a department within Auxiliary Enterprises and the Division of Student Affairs, the Licensing Department serves as a support function to the University's overall mission which is: to protect the name and identifying marks of the University of South Alabama, also, to preserve the University's good name and reputation by insuring that products bearing its name or marks are good quality and reflect positively on the University, and to promote the University by stimulating public awareness and support of the University through commercial use of its name and marks.
All items bearing the logo/marks of the University, must be ordered through companies that are officially licensed. A list of vendor is maintained by this office and can be provided if requested.
All royalty income received will be placed into a permanent endowment for scholarships. The proceeds form this endowment will be divided equally for use in undergraduate, graduate, and athletic scholarships.
If you have any questions concerning the licensing program, please call (251) 460-6481.
The Mitchell Center, home to the University of South Alabama Jaguars, was constructed adjacent to the historical Jaguar Gymnasium. The Mitchell Center features a 10,000-seat arena and exceptional support space with state-of-the-art equipment. The Center is a multi-purpose facility that hosts major events such as graduation, convocation, concerts, sporting events, and a variety of family events. There is also space dedicated to classrooms, meeting rooms, private offices, Athletic Administration offices and the USA Coastal Weather Research Center. A must see for many tourist visiting the area, the Waterman Globe is located in the Grand Lobby of the Mitchell Center. This massive historic globe was originally installed in 1948 in the Waterman Building, in downtown Mobile. It was acquired by the University and installed in the Mitchell Center Grand Lobby to be shared with the community and its many visitors. For rental information call (251) 461-1632 or visit our web site at
USA Dining Services offers a variety of exciting service programs located conveniently to both residential and academic areas. The services are designed with the utmost in freedom and flexibility for the ever changing needs of the USA student.
The USA meal programs are designed to ensure quality food at great prices. Any student living in University housing, including Greek Housing, with less than 24 credit hours is required to purchase the USA 12 as a minimum plan. These course hours may be transferred or earned at USA providing they are accepted by the University Registrar's office as completed and passed. However, you know your eating habits better than we do, so the option to upgrade is available. Meal programs are available to the entire student body. Please contact the Dining Service office for more information.
USA Dining Services now offers two new meal plans designed for the upperclassman/commuter. They offer greater flexibility at an affordable price.
USA Dining Services offers maximum flexibility and security through a Declining Balance account. This card operation is similar to a debit card and has two accounts available. The first account is for food purchases only and may be used in The Market, Freshens, and the Delta Deli. It requires no minimum and may be activated in the Dining Services business office or online at The second account or Gold Card may also be used for food, as well as purchases in the Bookstore and Game Room. The Gold Card requires a $50 minimum and can be activated through the I.D. process in Room 160 - South Paw Services located in the Student Center. Both accounts are set up on the student's I.D. card. VISA and MasterCard are accepted for purchasing meal plans only. For additional information please call (251) 460-6296 or visit our web site at
The Market - Located on the main floor in the Student Center, this is your main campus dining facility. Selections range from healthy home-style meals, international cuisine, a wide variety of hot and cold sandwiches, cold beverages, a salad bar, and Java City Coffee. The dinner meal has been modified to an all-you-care-to-eat option to accommodate the USA meal plans. The Market now accepts VISA/MasterCard.
Delta Deli and Grille - Located in the Delta Commons building, which is nested in the heart of the residential community, this facility is a short walk from all campus housing. Late night is a favorite time to stop by and grab a bite. We now offer convenience store items in the Delta Deli to save students a trip off campus. Now accepts VISA/MasterCard.
Mary’s - Serving coffee and just the right amount of sweets, this is the place to visit while in the Administration Building. Located in the basement and run by a true customer service professional, come by and have a sandwich and become part of Mary's family.
Freshen’s Smoothies - In the Student Center, located in the Market. Serving freshly prepared fruit Smoothies, fresh baked cookies, and beverages, this is one not to miss. The quick service and atrium seating make this a popular stop between classes.
Starbucks Coffee Shop - A Starbucks Coffee Shop is located in the Student Center on the lower level next to the northeastern entrance.
USA Catering Services - A full catering guide is available the help plan your next event. Services range from a quick drop off to an elegant evening dinner. Please call and speak to our catering representative for all your needs or questions. (251) 460-7948
Located on the main campus, the USA Bookstore is your source for all your campus needs on campus and online. At the bookstore you will find new and used textbooks, as well as the supply materials necessary for all of your courses. In addition, you will find a variety of reading materials from classics to today’s best sellers.
To help you show your school spirit, an assortment of USA emblematic giftware and fashion sportswear is also offered.
Here are a few of our many other products and services:
Calculators/Electronics CDs Movie DVDs
Class Rings Music CDs
Computer Software Office Products
Custom Sewn Apparel Refrigerators
Residence Hall Room Supplies Soft Drinks/Snack Foods
Facsimile Service Student Supplies
Greeting Cards Study Aids
Laptop Computers USA Apparel
Microwave Ovens  
Regular Store Hours: 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Monday and Tuesday. 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. “Rush” hours and summer hours will be posted at the Bookstore entrance.

VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and USA Jag Cards are accepted. For additional information please call (251)460-7012, or visit our web site at:

This bookstore, located at USA Springhill, is a specialty store for medical, nursing, and allied health students and professionals.
Approximately 2,000 reference titles are on hand and a special order system provides immediate access to over 300,000 titles available for special order.
An extensive assortment of medical diagnostic equipment and multimedia products are available. Anatomical models are also available for sale or rent.
The University Bookstore and the Health Sciences Bookstore both accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and the USA Jag Card in addition to personal checks. For additional information please call (251)434-3635, or visit our web site at
The University of South Alabama Post Office is essentially a Public Service Contract Station operating under U.S. Postal Service guidelines and a mail room operating under the University of South Alabama policies and procedures.
This post office is staffed by University of South Alabama employees, who are familiar with all areas of postal operations and are qualified to handle most any task. Up-to-date domestic manuals are maintained and used for reference purposes. Drop boxes and window service consist of selling postal supplies and accepting letters, flats and parcels for mailing. Departmental mail pickup and delivery service is provided by means of an established route. The campus mail room will process all departmental mail, domestic and foreign, except C.O.D., which must be handled with the U.S. Post Office.
All students who live on campus are required to have a personal mail box to receive mail; thus the Post Office box number is the student’s campus address. For additional information please call (251) 460-6279, or visit our web site at .
USA Telecommunications Department is committed to providing high quality, cost effective services to the University Community.
If you live on campus, we will be your service provider. Digital telephones are required to use the system and are provided and maintained by the Telecommunications Department. In addition, each telephone has an associated voice mail box furnished. Please do not bring telephones from home as they will not work with our system. Your telephone and voice mail box should be working when you get to your room. The exception is the on-campus Greek Organizations. They must open separate accounts. We also offer domestic long distance for only ten cents per minute. Instructions to activate your long distance code will be provided separately.
If you are a first-time student, we are located off North Drive. As you approach the traffic circle on North Drive, we are the first building on your right. Hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Our information number is (251)460-7491 or if you are on campus, dial 6-7491.
The Office of Publication Services is located in University Commons (UCOM) on the corner of University Boulevard and Old Shell Road. This department services the printing needs of students, faculty, and staff on an individual, departmental, or organizational basis. Publication Services provides the latest techniques in typesetting, desktop publishing, creative design and layout, camera work, and one-to multicolor offset printing.
Publications provides coin-operated copier services in convenient locations on and off campus. Coin-operated copiers can be found at USA Springhill on the 2nd floor of the College of Nursing. Most walk-in cash copy orders can be completed at the Office of Publication Services while you wait.
Publication Services also provides the University community with complete production of all directional and informational signs. Lamination is available for materials ranging in size from 2”x3” up to 11”x17”.
The quality and effectiveness of a publication can be enhanced by consulting with staff artists early in the design stages. Consultation also allows Publication Services to share valuable timesaving and cost-effective tips with the customer.
Publication Services creates printed material tailored to meet specific needs, including resume, newsletters, directories, handbooks, posters and flyers, stationery, and more. For further information or to schedule an appointment call (251)380-2828.

USA Career Services, located at 6420 Old Shell Road, assists students and alumni in all phases of career exploration, development, and job search strategies. USA Career Services is a comprehensive career education and career service center. The division of Career and Education Information Services provides self-directed activities to assist in career exploration, the selection of appropriate academic programs, and identification of career related strengths and preferences in determining careers. The specialized Career Library is the core resource for these and other self-directed career and education research activities. The Career Experience Opportunities program helps students confirm career choices through pre-professional internships and work experiences through Alternating and Parallel Cooperative Education. Students approaching graduation and alumni are eligible for Career Employment Assistance. This service links qualified candidates with prospective employers. Interviewing techniques, resume writing, managing an effective job campaign, and strategies for changing careers are part of this program. Career Employment Assistance includes the on-campus recruitment program and resume referral service.

Satellite offices are located in the Mitchell College of Business, College of Engineering, and the College of Arts and Sciences.

Career and Education Information Service

The Center’s Career and Education Information Service guides students in self-directed activities to determine career interests and selection of appropriate academic programs to reach their career goals. Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are urged to take advantage of this service. The appropriate selection of a major can impact a student’s desire to complete a college education and a student’s success in college and the workplace. The Career Library is the central location for these activities and is staffed by graduate level Career Advisors. Career Advisors are trained to assist students in the various aspects of career and related academic development. Among the many resources available to students are:
• Career Library containing the recruiting literature of more than 1,500 local and national employers.
• Computer assisted career guidance programs and assessment.
• On-line access to national, local, state, and federal job openings.
• Books and videos on career development, job search skills, resume preparation, interviewing techniques, letter writing, and employer information.
• Occupational literature on numerous career fields including entrance requirements and projected employment outlook.
• Graduate and professional school information including: directories, catalogs, admissions, and financial aid information.

These and many other Career and Education Information services housed in the Career Library are available to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community.

Career Experience Opportunities

The Career Experience Opportunities Program enables students to combine classroom studies with paid work experience related to their major field of study. Practical experience is available in industrial, business, governmental, or service organizations. Undergraduate students may apply at the Career Services Center to enter the Cooperative Education Program when they have completed 12 credit hours, attained a cumulative grade-point average of 2.3 or above, and are classified as a full-time student upon commencement of participation in the program. The internship option requires a 2.0 GPA or above and sufficient time remaining before graduation to complete the internship. Graduate students may apply to enter the Career Experience Opportunities Program after they are accepted into a graduate program.

Option 1. Parallel Cooperative Education: Students work part-time, usually 15 to 20 hours per week, while attending classes for a minimum of 12 academic credit hours per semester for the Fall and Spring semesters. The Summer semester may be taken as a “vacation” semester. Students must have at least three semesters remaining before graduation to enter this option.

Option 2. Alternating Cooperative Education: Students work full-time one semester and attend classes full-time the following semester on a rotating schedule until graduation. The work assignment is usually shared by a pair of students on an alternating basis. Students must have at least six semesters remaining before graduation to enter this option.

Option 3. Internship: Students work between two and fifteen hours per week for various lengths of time depending upon the unique needs of the organization providing the experience. Some internships are not paid; experience is the reward. The option of receiving academic credit for this experience is approved through the academic advisor or department chair.

Option 4. Engineering Cooperative Education - The Five Year Plan: This program allows students to gain one year of valuable engineering experience as they pursue their degree. The freshman year is spent as a full-time student at the university. During the sophomore and junior years, the student alternates working full-time for one semester and taking full-time course work the next semester. Students are paid an excellent pre-professional salary during the work semester. The student returns to campus full-time for the senior year. This program offers many advantages for the student. Interested students should consult with either Career Services or the College of Engineering. Application should be made for admission to the program when entering the university or no later than the end of the second semester of the freshman year.

Prerequisites for Participation

Prerequisites for participation in the Career Experience Opportunities Program include attending the Employability Skills Seminar, offered continuously by Career Services, and payment of the materials fee in effect at the time of application for the program. To remain in the program, students must maintain good academic standing; a cumulative grade-point average of 2.3 or above for the parallel and alternating programs, a grade-point average of 2.0 for the internship program, and comply with the policies and procedures of the employer and the Career Experience Opportunities Program.

Career Employment Assistance

All students are urged to register for Career Employment Assistance at Career Services three semesters before graduation to begin preparation for the employment search process. Seniors and juniors are advised to take advantage of the career and employability skills training and the career advising functions of Career Services. Alumni may initiate service when needed.


Services include:
• A fully web-based system facilitating communication between the student, employer, and Career Services.
• Online registration with Career Services.
• Upload a quality resume online.
• Viewing job listings.
• Signing up for on-campus recruiting activities.
• Receiving and responding to employer inquiries.
• Resume referral.
• Five major Career Expositions annually: The USA Career Expo, all majors; Graduate and Professional School Expo; Allied Health and Nursing Expo; Education Career Expo; Spring Expo, all majors.
• Several specialized career conferences are developed in cooperation with the academic departments.

Prerequisites to registration for on-campus interviewing and resume referral include attending the Employability Skills Seminar designed to enhance candidates’ approach to employers and payment of the materials fee in effect at the time of application for the program.


University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6101
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: July 22, 2005 11:20 AM

University of South Alabama