text only
University of South Alabama
Home Index Search Directories Faq
USA Undergraduate/Graduate Bulletin 2006-2007


The Division of Student Affairs is responsible for that part of the student’s total educational experience which takes place outside the formal classroom program. Among its concerns are housing, Student Center, Mitchell Center, student activities, recreation, student organizations, programs, disciplinary actions, disabled student services, community service, personal counseling, multicultural affairs, testing services, food services, bookstore, and University Police. Through such activities as the Student Government Association, the students are given a responsible voice in the governance of the University. (See Student Handbook, The Lowdown.) Students also participate as members of University-wide committees as well as on committees within the colleges of the University.
The University of South Alabama, concerned with the total growth and development of its students, believes that attention should be given, not only to the intellectual aspect of this growth but also to the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual aspects. Through all of the services and programs of the University, students will hopefully acquire, along with a sound intellectual competence, a maturing sense of values.
The Student Center supports the University mission of providing quality programs, facilities and services by creating a community that encourages involvement, development and personal and academic growth.
Located in the building are lounge areas, Southpaw Services, a computer lab, office space for student organizations, recreational facilities, dining services, and other service facilities. Six meeting rooms, a ballroom, and audio-visual equipment are available at no charge to student organizations, and administrative and academic departments. Individuals and outside organizations may reserve space and equipment for a fee.
Reservations for any space in or around the Student Center may be made in Southpaw Services, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at (251) 460-6077.
The Campus Recreation Department offers a wide variety of recreational activities to the entire University community. Campus Recreation accommodates many styles of participation, including intramural team and individual competition in a variety of sports and activities. Open recreational opportunities, fitness programs, outdoor recreation activities, and sports clubs are offered. Student groups may use recreational facilities and equipment for social activities approved by the Campus Recreation Department. The continuing goal of the recreation program is to provide activities that offer optimum benefits of enjoyment, health, social interaction, and sportsmanship to participants.
The Student Recreation Center opened in 1992 with racquetball courts, basketball courts, an indoor running track, and a fitness center. The Intramural Field Complex, containing six multi-purpose playing areas, opened Fall Semester 2003. The telephone number for the Student Recreation Center is (251) 460-6065, and the telephone number for the Intramural Field Complex is (251) 461-1627.
The University Counseling Service is staffed by professional counselors who are available to assist students with personal problems as well as with academic and vocational concerns. All types of adjustment and emotional problems are handled, including marriage and pre-marriage counseling, on a self-referral basis. Psychotherapy is provided by qualified counselors and referrals are made to various agencies as needs arise. The Counseling Service provides psychological testing and evaluation and coordinates other appropriate “campus survival” activities. No fees are charged for counseling, but, in some cases, a small fee is required for certain testing services. Counseling records are considered professional information and are protected accordingly. Personal confidences are strictly respected. Students may seek information or appointments either by telephoning (251) 460-7051 or by visiting the Counseling Services, located in Alpha Hall East, Room 326.

Operating within Counseling and Testing Service, the Substance Abuse Program provides the USA community with counseling, educational, and prevention programs related to substance abuse. The primary goals of the Substance Abuse Program are to increase knowledge and awareness of alcohol and other drug issues and to decrease the harmful consequences associated with high risk drinking and illegal drug use. Services are confidentially provided for students at no charge. For further information or assistance, contact the Manager, Substance Abuse Counseling, at (251) 460-7980 or visit the web site at http://www.southalabama.edu/counseling. The Office is located in Alpha Hall East, Room 326.

The USA Police Department has a Crime Prevention Program and a Crime Prevention Officer located on the main campus in Faculty Court South, Room 20. The telephone number is (251) 460-6611. Our Prevention Program includes lighting and safety programs, Rape Awareness Seminars and information, self-defense information, and campus safety tips.
The University offers special services to students with disabilities. Students requesting services must submit documentation regarding the disability to the Special Student Services Office prior to receiving services. Reasonable accommodations are offered in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disability Act of 1990. The Special Student Services Office is located in the Student Center, Room 270, (251) 460-7212.
The University does not permit the possession, consumption, or distribution of alcohol by an individual on any of its campuses and in any of its facilities without prior approval. Organizations may be permitted to have alcohol at events if permission is granted through the Office of Campus Involvement. The possession, consumption, and/or distribution of illegal substances without a medical prescription are forbidden. Violation of either policy is subject to both University administrative action and criminal prosecution. See The Lowdown for a full description of the policy.
The University of South Alabama's campus transportation system, JagTran, was created to provide easy, safe, and efficient transportation for USA students, employees and visitors. Some JagTran vehicles run continuously throughout the day on the main campus. No tickets, money, or reservation are needed. Students will park their cars in color-coded lots, which they choose, and then walk or ride JagTran. For more information, visit http://www.southalabama.edu/jagtran.
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, located in 110 Student Center, is committed to providing programming for cultural awareness, coordinate efforts to increase the retention of minority students, encourage minority students to participate in all aspects of campus life, and provide leadership development for aspiring student leaders. The telephone number is (251) 460-6895.
The Student Programming Board, Jaguar Productions, presents activities to serve the cultural, educational, recreational, and social interests of students. Those students who are directly involved have opportunities to exemplify creative thinking and leadership outside the classroom.
Student Programming functions through committees, such as Fine Arts, Horizons, Club South, Trips and Tours, Concerts, Movies, Special Events, Technical and Promotions. Students select, publicize and produce the events. All students are invited to join these committees. For more information, please call (251) 460-7144 or stop by the Student Center Room 108.
Students attending the University of South Alabama are accepted as responsible adults working with their faculty colleagues in search of knowledge. Rigid regulation of personal conduct will not be necessary since freedom as an objective of education is difficult without the actual existence of freedom.
Such freedom must be balanced by individual responsibility and respect for the rights, responsibilities, and freedom of others. Students, therefore, will be held accountable for their own decisions and actions. Failure to assume responsibility for actions that jeopardize the rights and freedoms of others or involve the integrity of the University will result in disciplinary review.
The University holds its students to high standards of academic excellence and similarly expects high standards of individual conduct. The Spirit of South Alabama was adopted by the Student Government Association as a basis for expectations from our students. Persistent violations of expected standards or established regulations will necessarily involve appropriate disciplinary action. The University reserves the right to deny admission or continued attendance to students whose decisions and actions are contrary to the purposes and procedures of the University. The Lowdown, the USA student handbook, contains the Code of Student Conduct.
The Student Academic Conduct Policy is presented in the USA student handbook, The Lowdown. Please refer to that publication.
Over two hundred professional, departmental, special interest clubs, religious groups, and honor societies are active at the University. These organizations represent a wide variety of disciplines and interests and provide an opportunity for every student to get involved. Any student group seeking recognition is encouraged to pick up application forms in the Office of Campus Involvement, Room 129, Student Center, (251) 460-7003.
Educational Talent Search is a federally funded, early intervention program designed for Mobile County students in grades 6-12. The program provides academic and college counseling along with supportive services such as tutoring and mentoring. Tutoring for program participants is provided by USA students. For information, contact the Educational Talent Search Office, UCOM 5700, (251) 380-2620.
Faculty, and staff purchase their parking permits at the Office of Student Accounting.
Students are assessed a transportation fee which includes a parking permit. Students register their vehicles and pick up their parking permits in the Student Center during the permit distribution dates in August and September. Parking regulations are issued with each parking hang tag.
All students must choose a parking area hang tag and their vehicle must be parked in that area only between 7:00 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. on the main campus, Monday through Friday. Faculty/Staff (blue spaces) are off-limits for student use until 5:00 p.m.
Anyone driving a car to campus without a current hang tag should obtain a temporary permit from the University Police; visitors should obtain a Visitor Permit.
University Testing Service serves as a regional testing center for national testing organizations. Testing is provided as requested by the various departments of the University. Most national entrance examinations are administered by the center. Information regarding specific tests offered, schedules, and registration materials may be obtained by contacting the University Testing Service located in Alpha Hall East, Room 326, at (251) 460-7051.
Upward Bound is a federally funded, college preparatory program for high school students in Mobile County. The program provides academic counseling, tutorial support, cultural enrichment activities, and academic courses offered during a six (6) week summer residential component. The primary goal of Upward Bound is to provide each participant with the necessary skills to successfully enter and complete a program of post-secondary education. USA students serve as tutors and residential counselors for the participants. For information, contact the Upward Bound Office, Delta 2, Room 213, (251) 460-7322.
Competing in both men’s and women’s sports on the intercollegiate level, the University’s athletic program fulfills a vital role in giving the students a well-rounded environment of study and recreational entertainment. The University is an active member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division 1AAA. Teams are maintained yearly in baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, tennis, track, and volleyball. Governed by regulations set forth by the President of the University, the Director of Athletics, the NCAA, and the Sun Belt Conference, athletic participation and expansion is occurring as rapidly as facilities permit.
The Student Health Clinic is located on the first floor of the Health Services Building, Suite 1200. Services are provided to currently enrolled students by a team of fully licensed and board-certified providers. Hours of operations are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. when classes are in session. During times when the University is closed for holiday periods, students should go to their private physicians or their local emergency rooms. The University is not responsible for any medical charges incurred after hours or when the University is not in session. It is highly recommended that students obtain health insurance for coverage beyond the scope of care at the Student Health Center or for services during holiday periods.
There are some nominal charges for medication and laboratory charges that are payable at the time of service. It is advisable for students to call ahead at (251) 460-7151 and schedule an appointment to shorten their waiting time, however, students are welcome to walk-in for services, too.

Health and Prevention Education programs are also available and can be scheduled by calling Student Health. If students wish to participate directly in a peer health education program or the Student Health Advisory Council, they may inquire by calling Student Health on completing an application on-line at
or http://www.southalabama.edu/studenthealth/shac.html.

All students should have medical insurance. This information is available on the USA web site under the Division of Student Affairs. Click on Student Accident and Insurance Plan. Students are encouraged to purchase this policy if they do not have other medical insurance.
The music department sponsors a number of musical organizations open to interested members of the entire University student body on credit and non-credit basis. These organizations include Concert Choir; University Chorale; University Marching Band; University Symphonic Band; Jazz Band; Athletic Pep Band; Woodwind, Brass, Trumpet, Guitar, String, Percussion, Wind, Flute, and Piano Ensembles; and University Opera Theatre.
The student newspaper, The Vanguard, is distributed free to students and is under the direction of a Board comprised of representatives from the Student Government Association, The Vanguard, the faculty, media services, and public relations. The editor and business manager are selected from applications submitted by interested students.
JAG-TV is seen throughout the campus on the University’s closed-circuit cable system and is under the direction of a board comprised of representatives from the Student Government Association, The Vanguard, JAG-TV, faculty, media services and public relations. The general manager is selected from applications submitted by interested students.
The University and the community offer to students an opportunity to participate in a variety of cultural and recreational programs. Among them are concerts by symphonic and chamber organizations, choral groups and choirs, ballet and opera productions, theatre, art exhibits, film series, and lecture and discussion conferences. In many of these programs, students are urged to participate as performers. Special events are scheduled on the campus, and reduced rates for students are arranged for many civic programs.
The University Police Department is available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to assist faculty, staff and students with any type of emergency or other assistance. University police officers are sworn by the State of Alabama and are certified by the Alabama Police Officers Standards and Training Commission. The University Police Department may be contacted by calling 511 (if an emergency and from an on-campus phone) or (251) 460-6312 for non-emergency. We encourage members of our campus community to be responsible for their own safety as well as the safety of others and to report crime occurrences to the University Police Department. In accordance with the Campus Security Act of 1990, the University’s “Campus Security Policies and Crime Statistics” are published and available at the Police Department’s web site by clicking on “Clery Act” or by going to http://www.southalabama.edu/police/clery.html. Printed versions of the policies and crime statistics may be obtained from the University Police Administration office located in Faculty Court South, Room 20 during normal business hours.
The Police Department Special Services Unit is designed to anticipate, prevent, and investigate behavioral concerns to include:
  • Threats directed to a member or property of the University Community
  • Any person exhibiting threatening or unusual behavior
  • Administrative hearings or meetings that may pose a threat to those involved during or after the meeting
  • Any social or family issue that may pose an on-campus threat to anyone
If there are any questions or concerns, please contact one of the following:
Special Services Unit 461-1405 Mail: Attn: Special Services Unit
After-Hours 460-6312   USA Police Department
Anonymous Crime Tip Line 460-6667   Faculty Court South (FCS) RM 20
The University of South Alabama is approved for the education of veterans, active duty members, and dependents of disabled veterans who are eligible for benefits under the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Office of Veterans Affairs is located at 2300 Meisler Hall on the main campus. The office provides services to all veterans and dependents of veterans. Students who wish to use veteran education benefits must contact the Office of Veterans Affairs (251) 460-6230.
The University of South Alabama does not have a tuition/fees deferment policy. Tuition and fees are due at the time of registration and are the responsibility of the student. Starting V.A. benefits or transferring them to USA may take up to eight weeks. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Veterans Affairs as early as possible.
For information concerning “Transfer Credit from Military Service School,” see Admissions/Enrollment Services Section.
A college education offers students the opportunities for advanced learning, interesting career options and meeting new people. An additional opportunity of the college experience is on-campus living where learning and personal growth take place in the community environment of the residence halls.
The University of South Alabama offers a wide range of facilities to meet the lifestyles of a diversified student body. The residence hall options available include suites, apartments, efficiencies, private suites and private efficiencies. Some Greek organizations also offer on-campus housing leased from the University for their members.

All students accepted by the University will be sent residence hall information and a contract. Information is also available on the Housing and Residence Life web site at www.southalabama.edu/housing/. Assignments are made based on the order in which the contracts are received. Students and parents should be aware the required prepayment is due when the signed contract/application is submitted. Students under 19 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian co-sign their residence hall contract. The balance of the residence hall charge is due by the fifth day of classes.

Two-Person Suites: Most suites in the Epsilon Area are two-person suites which open onto an interior hallway. All Epsilon suites have a vanity area, bathroom and are equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave oven. Most suites in the Delta Area are two-person suites which open onto an exterior walkway. The Delta suites have a vanity area, bathroom and are equipped with a small refrigerator.
Private Suites: Private suites are available in the Delta and Epsilon Areas. Private suites in Epsilon and Delta have the same amenities listed above for two-person suites.
Private Suites with Semi-Private Bath: Located in the Gamma Area, these suites are composed of two private suites with a shared-adjoining vanity area and bathroom. Each suite is equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave oven.
Two-Person Efficiency Suites: This type of suite is available in the Delta 6 building and provides a vanity area, bathroom, and a kitchenette with a two-burner stove top, sink with disposal, microwave, and a small refrigerator. A limited number of these units are available as private suites.
Two Bedroom Apartment: The Beta and Gamma Areas offer two-bedroom apartments with a living/dining space, vanity area, bathroom, kitchen with a range, sink with disposal, cabinets and a full size refrigerator. The two-bedroom apartments in Gamma will accommodate two people and the apartments in Beta will accommodate four people.
Two-Person Efficiency Apartments: Studio-type apartments are available in the Beta and Gamma buildings. These apartments consist of a shared living/sleeping space, vanity area, bathroom, kitchen with a range, sink with disposal, cabinets and a full-size refrigerator.
Private Suites and Apartments: A limited number of private suites and apartments are available to students who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students must be registered with the Special Student Services Office to qualify for this type space.
Greek Housing: Accommodations in the Greek halls are two-person suites with a vanity area and a bathroom. Each Greek house is equipped with a laundry facility that is included in the cost of the room. Occupancy, in the Greek Area, is limited to members of the individual organizations who have houses on campus. Greek Area residents are subject to the same contract required of all residence hall students. Note: Students in the Greek halls pay for local phone and internet separately.
Furnishings and Amenities: All residence hall rooms are equipped with beds, closets, and dressers. All rooms are heated and air-conditioned through individual room units or through a central system. The apartments are also furnished with living room furniture and a dining table and chairs. Local telephone service, with voice mail, power, water, gas, campus cable TV, unlimited use of the laundry and a high-speed internet and wireless connections are all included in the semester rent. Each residence hall area has a common building or space that includes a TV room, laundry facilities and vending machines available for student use. A deli/convenience store is also located in the Delta Commons Building. More detailed information on furnishings and amenities is available on the University web site at www.southalabama.edu/housing/.
Additional Residence Hall Information: All students are assigned based on the date their contract and prepayment are received in the Housing and Residence Life office. The residence hall contract provides housing for the entire academic year (fall and spring semesters) or from the initial date of the contract to the end of the academic year. Students may change rooms and/or areas after receiving appropriate authorization and when vacancies are available. A residence hall contract may be canceled only if the student fails to enroll, withdraws from the University, marries, participates in a co-op or intern program outside the Mobile area, or graduates from the University during the term of the contract. Documentation is required. Refer to the residence hall contract for more specific information. All freshmen residence hall students who have completed less than twenty-four (24) semester hours of course work are required to purchase a meal membership.

The information above has provided a general outline of the different styles of housing facilities owned and managed by the University of South Alabama. It is recommended that any student having questions concerning University residence hall housing should contact Housing and Residence Life office at the address or appropriate telephone number listed below:
University of South Alabama, Housing and Residence Life, Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Residence Hall Information (251) 460-6185 or toll free (866) 872-0140
E-mail: housing@usouthal.edu
Housing and Residence Life web site: http://www.southalabama.edu/housing/

The Grove is a privately-owned and managed apartment complex located on the southwest end of the main campus. Residency, in The Grove is limited to upperclassmen. Students should be aware that the University Code of Conduct and the Residence Hall rules and policies apply to residents of The Grove. Residents of The Grove are subject to the same requirement for all residence hall students who have completed less than twenty-four (24) hours of course work to purchase a Dining Services meal membership. The Grove is not part of University Housing and Residence Life. For leasing information and all questions or concerns, contact The Grove management office at (251) 341-9412. Also see http://flash.gogrove.com/.
The Mitchell Center, home to the University of South Alabama Jaguars, which is located adjacent to the historical Jaguar Gymnasium, features a 10,000-seat arena and exceptional support space with state-of-the-art equipment. The Center is a multi-purpose facility that hosts major events such as graduation, convocation, concerts, sporting events, and a variety of family events. There is also space dedicated to classrooms, meeting rooms, private offices, Athletic Administration offices and the USA Coastal Weather Research Center. A "must see" for many tourists visiting the area, the Waterman Globe is located in the Grand Lobby of the Mitchell Center. This massive historic globe was originally installed in 1948 in the Waterman Building, in downtown Mobile. It was acquired by the University and installed in the Mitchell Center Grand Lobby to be shared with the community and its many visitors. For rental information call (251) 461-1632 or visit our web site at http://www.mitchellcenter.com
USA Dining Services offers a wide variety of food and convenient services in different areas of the campus. These services are designed with the students' needs in mind and provide flexibility and convenience to meet the demanding schedule of our students.
The meal plan options for residence hall students offer quality food at a discounted price. The University has a mandatory meal plan policy for most students that live on campus. Please visit www.usadiningservices.com and click on the meal plan tab to see the details of the mandatory meal plan policy. At this same link, detailed descriptions and requirements for all meal plan options is provided.
Other meal plan options are available for faculty, staff, and commuter students. These plans provide a discounted price over purchasing individual meals on each visit to the dining facility. In addition, faculty, staff, and commuter students can purchase flex dollars to use at any food service location on campus. Flex dollars are added to the ID card and are deducted each time there is a food service transaction.
USA Dining Services is also the official caterer on campus. A full catering guide is available at www.usadiningservices.com under the catering tab. Written approval to use an outside caterer must be obtained in advance from the Assistant Vice President for Auxiliary Services.
Located on the main campus, the USA Bookstore offers a wide range of products and services both on campus and online. New and used textbooks, as well as the supply materials necessary for all courses are available. In addition, a wide variety of reading materials from classics to current best sellers are offered.
An assortment of USA emblematic giftware and fashion sportswear is also offered.
Examples of many other products and services available in the Bookstore are:
Calculators/Electronics/CDs Laptops/Printers
Class Rings Office Products
Computer Software/Supplies Residence Hall Room Supplies
Custom Sewn Apparel Soft Drinks/Snack Foods
Facsimile Service Student Supplies
Greek Merchandise Test Preps/Study Aids
Greeting Cards USA Apparel - Jagwear
Regular Store Hours: 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Monday and Tuesday. 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. “Rush” hours and summer hours will be posted at the Bookstore entrance.

VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and USA Jag Cards are accepted. For additional information please call (251) 460-7012, or visit our web site at: http://wwww.southalabama.edu/bookstore.

This bookstore, located at USA Springhill, is a specialty store for medical, nursing, and allied health students and professionals.
Approximately 2,500 reference titles are on hand and a special order system provides immediate access to over 300,000 titles available for special order.
An extensive assortment of medical diagnostic equipment and multimedia products are available. Anatomical models are also available for sale or rent.
The University Bookstore and the Health Sciences Bookstore accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and the USA Jag Card in addition to personal checks. For additional information please call (251) 434-3635, or visit the web site at http://www.southalabama.edu/bookstore.
The University of South Alabama Post Office is essentially a Public Service Contract Station operating under U.S. Postal Service guidelines and a mail room operating under the University of South Alabama policies and procedures.
This post office is staffed by University of South Alabama employees, who are familiar with all areas of postal operations and are qualified to handle most any task. Up-to-date domestic manuals are maintained and used for reference purposes. Drop boxes and window service consist of selling postal supplies and accepting letters, flats and parcels for mailing. Departmental mail pickup and delivery service is provided by means of an established route. The campus mail room processes all departmental mail, domestic and foreign, except C.O.D., which must be handled with the U.S. Post Office.
All students who live on campus are required to have a personal mail box to receive mail; thus the Post Office box number is the student’s campus address. For additional information please call (251) 414-8191, or visit our web site at http://www.southalabama.edu/postoffice.
USA Telecommunications Department is committed to providing high quality, cost effective services to the University Community.
If you live on campus, we will be your service provider. Digital telephones are required to use the system and are provided and maintained by the Telecommunications Department. In addition, each telephone has an associated voice mail box furnished. Please do not bring telephones from home as they will not work with our system. Your telephone and voice mail box should be working when you get to your room. The exception is the on-campus Greek Organizations. They must open separate accounts. We also offer domestic long distance for only ten cents per minute. Instructions to activate your long distance code will be provided separately.
Telecommunications is located off USA North Drive. As you approach the traffic circle on USA North Drive, we are the first building on your right. Hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Our information number is (251) 460-7491 or if you are on campus, dial 6-7491.
As a department within Auxiliary Enterprises and the Division of Student Affairs, the Licensing Department serves as a support function to the University's overall mission which is: to protect the name and identifying marks of the University of South Alabama, also, to preserve the University's good name and reputation by insuring that products bearing its name or marks are good quality and reflect positively on the University, and to promote the University by stimulating public awareness and support of the University through commercial use of its name and marks.
All items bearing the logo/marks of the University, must be ordered through companies that are officially licensed. A list of vendors is maintained by this office and can be provided if requested. This includes items that bear the logo/marks of the University that aren't for resale. A letter of request should be sent to the licensing department stating the nature of the use and that the product is being used internally along with the name and address of the licensed company so the royalty fee can be waived.
All royalty income received will be placed into a permanent endowment for scholarships. The proceeds from this endowment will be divided equally for use in undergraduate, graduate, and athletic scholarships.
For questions concerning the licensing program, please call (251) 460-6481.
The Office of Publication Services is located in University Commons (UCOM) on the corner of University Boulevard and Old Shell Road. This department services the printing needs of students, faculty, and staff on an individual, departmental, or organizational basis. Publication Services provides the latest techniques in typesetting, desktop publishing, creative design and layout, camera work, and one-to multicolor offset printing.
Publications provides coin-operated copier services in convenient locations on and off campus. Coin-operated copiers can be found at USA Springhill on the 2nd floor of the College of Nursing. Most walk-in cash copy orders can be completed at the Office of Publication Services while you wait.
Publication Services also provides the University community with complete production of all directional and informational signs. Lamination is available for materials ranging in size from 2”x3” up to 11”x17”.
The quality and effectiveness of a publication can be enhanced by consulting with staff artists early in the design stages. Consultation also allows Publication Services to share valuable timesaving and cost-effective tips with the customer.
Publication Services creates printed material tailored to meet specific needs, including resume, newsletters, directories, handbooks, posters and flyers, stationery, and more. For further information or to schedule an appointment, call (251) 380-2828.

USA Career Services, located in Meisler Hall, Suite 2100, assists students and alumni in all phases of career exploration, development, and job search strategies. USA Career Services is a comprehensive career service center. The Career Exploration and Job Search component provides activities to assist in career exploration. The Cooperative Education and Internship Program helps students confirm career choices through experiential education. Career Employment and Graduate School Assistance is offered to students and alumni seeking information about career choices and graduate or professional schools.

Career Exploration and Job Search

Career Services guides students in determining career interests and selecting appropriate academic programs to reach career goals. The appropriate selection of a major can impact a student’s desire to complete a college education and a student’s success in college and the workplace. Career Advisors are trained to assist students in the various aspects of career and academic development. Among the many resources available to students are:
• Career Library containing books and videos on career development, job search skills, resume preparation, interviewing techniques, letter writing, and employer information.
• Computer assisted career guidance programs and assessment.
Hard copy and on-line access to national, local, state, and federal job openings.
• Occupational literature on numerous career fields including entrance requirements and projected employment outlook.
• Graduate and professional school information.

Cooperative Education and Internship Program

The Cooperative Education and Internship Program enables students to combine classroom studies with paid work experience related to their major field of study. Practical experience is available in industrial, business, governmental, or service organizations. Undergraduate students may apply at Career Services to enter the Cooperative Education Program when they have completed 12 credit hours, attained a cumulative grade-point average of 2.3 or above, and are classified as a full-time student upon commencement of participation in the program. Prior to the first work experience engineering students must complete two or three semesters of study for a total of 24 credit hours toward the engineering degree and complete courses MA 125 and MA 126. The internship option requires the completion of 12 credit hours, a 2.0 GPA or above and sufficient time remaining before graduation to complete the internship. Graduate students may apply after they are accepted into a graduate program.

Option 1. Alternating Cooperative Education: Students rotate multiple semesters of full-time work with semesters of full-time school until graduation.

Option 2. Internship: Students work for various lengths of time depending upon the unique needs of the organization providing the experience. Some internships are not paid; experience is the reward. The option of receiving academic credit for this experience is approved through the department chair or academic advisor.

Option 3. Engineering Cooperative Education - The Five Year Plan: This program allows engineering students to gain one year of valuable engineering experience as they pursue their degree. The freshman year is spent as a full-time student at the university. During the sophomore and junior years, the student alternates working full-time for one semester and taking full-time course work the next semester. Students are paid an excellent pre-professional salary during the work semester. The student returns to campus full-time for the senior year. This program offers many advantages; interested students should consult with Career Services. Application should be made for admission to the program no later than the end of the second semester of the freshman year.

Prerequisites for Participation: To remain in the Cooperative Education program, students must maintain good academic standing; a cumulative grade-point average of 2.3 or above for engineering students, a grade-point average of 2.0 for all other students, and comply with the policies and procedures of the employer and the Cooperative Education and Internship Program.

Career Employment and Graduate School Assistance

Career Services offers many services to students seeking career-related employment or those planning to pursue graduate or professional school. Jaguar Job Link, an on-line career management system, allows students to seek and apply for jobs, publish resumes, and participate in on-campus interviews. Career Services also offers seminars, job search programs, and annual career expos and job fairs.

University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-6101
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: March 12, 2009 4:48 PM

University of South Alabama