Reading Specialist Certification
Reading specialist class a certification
- Admission. Requirements for admission to the Class A Reading Specialist program shall
- At least baccalaureate-level professional educator certification in any area of education and master's degree; Candidates without a master's degree may pursue the reading specialist certification along with the master's degree in Elementary or Early Childhood Education. See advising sheets for details.
- Two years of successful classroom teaching experience; AND
- Certification in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Collaborative Teacher (K-6 or 6-12), OR
- Certification in any other area of education and completion of two reading courses including an introduction to reading course.
Note: All certification programs require an introductory course, special education SPE 500, if not completed at the undergraduate level.
2. Program Requirements.
|Program Requirements||Credit Hours|
|Curriculum and Teaching||3|
|EEC 522 or SED 552|
|EEC 522 (taken by those with an undergraduate secondary certificate)|
|SED 552 (taken by those with an undergraduate elementary certificate)|
|Foundations/Special Education Elective||0-3|
|SPE 500 required if introductory special education course not previously taken or
an ALSDE-Approved diversity course if not completed with Class A certification.
|Research and Evaluation||3|
|Teaching Field||18 hrs with a grade of "B" or above|
State Board Of Education Praxis II Test Information
Applicants completing coursework for Class A Reading Specialist certification are required to pass Praxis II in their area of certification. Please see specific program requirements on advising sheets. Praxis II test requirements are subject to change as dictated by the ALSDE. Prior to registering for any Praxis II exam, please verify current requirements by going directly to the ALABAMA portion of the Praxis II website at http://www.ets.org/praxis/al
|Department of Leadership and Teacher Education
|Chair||Dr. Susan Santoli|
|Professors||Baxter, Giles, Green, Kent, Santoli, Tunks|
|Associate Professors||Bailey, Campbell, Martin, Maulding-Green|
|Assistant Professors||Allison, Brannan, Delmas, Gaillard, Johnson, Morton, Parrish, Reeves|
|Emeritus Professors||Cronis, Culp|
|Senior Instructor||Byrd, Simpson|
The Department offers the Bachelor of Science degree in Education leading to Alabama Class B certification in the following areas: Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Secondary Education, and Special Education. The department offers the Bachelor of Science degree in Education with a major in Early Childhood Studies and Educational Studies.
The department offers the M.Ed. degree leading to Alabama Class A Certification in the following areas: Art Education, Instructional Leadership, Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, English for Speakers of Other Languages, Secondary Education, and Special Education. The department also offers the Instructional Specialist degree (Ed.S.) leading to Alabama Class AA Certification in the following areas: Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Instructional Leadership, Reading Specialist, Secondary Education, Special Education and Teacher Leader. The department offers the Doctor of Education degree in Educational Leadership.