Athletic Department Mission/Philosophy
The mission of the Department of Athletics at the University of South Alabama is to complement and supplement the total educational program of the institution and to provide equality to both student-athletes and all staff members regardless of race, gender, creed, nationality or economic status. The athletic department must provide learning experiences for all student-athletes and give each individual the opportunity to share in personal and group success. The University of South Alabama Department of Athletics provides student involvement in activities that help develop unity by encouraging a common quest for all students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the University. The athletic program is committed to enriching the mental and physical capabilities of its student-athletes while developing and building a respected program that is competitive on a national level in selected sports, at the same time operating a quality program in the other sports, which will create a basis for pride among the varied constituencies of the University.
The Department of Athletics' philosophy includes the following ideals:
- Recognition of the dignity, worth, and respect of every individual who comes in contact with the Department of Athletics.
- Belief in the provision of opportunity equally given every student-athlete to develop his or her maximum ability, both in the classroom and on the playing field, regardless of race, gender, creed, nationality, or economic status.
- Belief in the provision of opportunity equally given to each and every Athletic department staff member to develop his or her maximum ability in the workforce.
- Provision of the best available coaching and training staff in order to bring out the athletic potential of all its student-athletes.
- Commitment to the ongoing development of all student-athletes so that each can become a contributing member of society and live a rewarding and fulfilling life.
- Commitment to the provision of academic support services necessary to maximize the opportunity for academic success and graduation for student-athletes through a system of advising, monitoring academic progress and identification of potential problems.
- Demonstration of sportsmanship through the ideals of fairness, civility, honesty, unselfishness, respect and responsibility in a competitive arena of intercollegiate athletics.