USA Bioimaging Facility Policy for Users
The University of South Alabama BioImaging Facility is located on the third floor
of the Medical Sciences Building. The facility houses four confocal imaging systems
(Nikon A1R, Andor Revolution WD, PerkinElmer Ultraview RS-3, and Leica TCS SP2) that
provide a full range of high-speed, high-resolution fluorescence imaging, including
spectral unmixing as well as 3D and time-lapse. The facility also oversees operation
of a fluorescence laser-dissection microscope (MMI UVCut) used for cell extraction
and analysis. Finally, the facility manages a fully networked Image Analysis Suite
that contains dedicated
computers for off-line processing, analysis and meta-analysis of image data.
Once training has been completed, the User can schedule use on that particular instrument
independently (sign-up calendars available at all hours). Time on all instruments
is allocated by a first come, first-served basis. However, because the Nikon A1 and
Andor Revolution systems were acquired and implemented through NIH support, NIH-funded
investigators will be given priority use when necessary.
- All users are expected to keep use time at ≤ 5 hrs/day, and in single continuous sessions
- All reservations should be made using the Google calendar, even when usage will occur
5 pm and 7 am.
- Cancellations should be made by deleting the appointment on the Google calendar as
possible and before the scheduled appointment. No-shows will be charged for one hr of use.
- Extended experiments, including time-lapse sampling in excess of 5 hrs should be scheduled
overnight or during weekends. Reduced rates are applied beyond 5 hrs of continuous use (i.e.
time-lapse). Weekend use will only be available to certain expert users as determined by the
Imaging Specialist and Director.
- Sign in and out of the log book next to the microscope, adding User name and the name
Principal Investigator directing the research. This is important for billing and in the case where
actual usage time differs from reserved time.
- Use is billed by monthly invoice either to USA Departments or to external contacts.
be adjusted annually to match projected costs and anticipated use.
- Use time will be logged and charged in half-hour increments. Users may opt for unassisted
assisted use. In unassisted use, the User conducts all aspects of preparation, imaging and data
acquisition independently whereas in assisted use, the Imaging Specialist is available to aid or
advise the User over the course of the session (additional fee applies).
- Use of the Image Analysis Suite is free of charge for internal Users; external Users
access for a fee negotiated with the facility Director.