Students interested in the Clinical Counseling program please see information on the Doctor of Philosophy below.
To assure that all graduate students receive the appropriate level of mentoring and supervised training no more than 6 - 8 students are admitted per year. Students are admitted once a year for Fall Semester only.
Applicants should specify with which of the following faculty they would most like to work with and why in their Statement of Purpose (see below). Only faculty from this list may be listed.
|Person||Area of Interest|
|Brown, Charles||Perception, Comparative, Communication|
|Foster, Joshua||Personality and Individual Differences, Personality Assessment, Latent Variable Analysis|
|Powell, Laura||Distance Education, Teaching of Psychology|
|Shelley-Tremblay, Jack||Cognitive Neuroscience, Psychophysiology, Language|
|Turner. Lisa||Developmental, Juvenile & Family Violence|
|Yates, Mark||Cognitive Psychology, Language Processing|
Applicants should submit their materials by February 15 to this online web portal.
If you are a first time applicant to the University of South Alabama Graduate School, then you will need first to create an account in UniCAS.
Paper applications will no longer be accepted.
You will need to prepare these materials:
- A Statement of Purpose: Detailing the applicants relevant experiences, career and future plans, and with which faculty mentors they would most like to work (from the list above).
- Non-refundable application fee.
- Two copies of official transcripts of all college-level course work.
- GRE scores (verbal and quantitative scores are required).
- TOEFL scores (for international students only).
- Students should be prepared to provide the names and email addresses of three recommenders. The recommenders will then contacted separately through UniCAS and submit their recommendation in a dedicated portal.
- Those interested in applying for a graduate assistantship should also submit a Graduate Assistantship application form. (See more information below.)
Applications completed after February 15 will be considered only if space is still available.
Applicants to the CCP Program must submit the following through the University of
online admissions portal (please note that the CCP program is listed under the Graduate School):
1. Pay the $50 application fee
2. Complete the Personal Information & Academic History sections of the online application
3. Under the Academic History section, submit official transcripts from each institution of higher education in which you have enrolled since graduation from high school, regardless of whether a degree was earned.
4. Under the Academic History section, submit your official GRE score report - These scores cannot be more than 5-years-old. The general GRE test is required for regular admission. The subject test in Psychology, although optional, is recommended, especially if you believe that your general GRE test scores do not accurately reflect your true ability.
5. Under the Supporting Information section, request three letters of recommendation from professional and/or academic references.
6. Under the Program Materials, click on the program's name again, and then click on the Documents tab and submit your personal statement and resume
7. Statement of interest/purpose should describe:your reason(s) for applying to our
program as compared to others that may be available to you
7.1. Any special credentials that make you a particularly good applicant for our program?
7.2 What research or clinical practice area might you want to focus your learning?
7.3 Which faculty member(s) would you like to study and conduct research under (major professor)?
8. The GRE subject test in psychology is optional and is not necessary for an application to be reviewed.
Also in the Program Materials section, click on the Questions tab and answer all of the program-specific questions you find there.
Additional required international student documentation. Contact Admissions for details - 460-6141
The University of South Alabama publishes certain crime statistics each year as required by the Jeanne Clery Act. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the school. The policy statements address the school's policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security. Three years' worth of statistics are included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on campus, in or on off-campus buildings and property owned or controlled by the school and on public property immediately adjacent to the campus. This report is available online at: www.southalabama.edu/departments/police /resources/fireandsafetyreport.pdf. You may also request a paper copy from the University Police office located at 290 Stadium Blvd.
A limited number of Graduate Assistantships for both the masters and doctoral programs
are available on a competitive basis. Graduate Assistantship application forms are available on the web or from the Department of Psychology Office,
75 South University Blvd.
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Phone: (251) 460-6371
Assistantship application forms should be sent to the Office of Admissions. The deadline for receipt of completed applications for Assistantships is December 15.
Information concerning other forms of financial aid such as student loans and work-study programs is available from the Office of financial aid (251) 460-6231.