Use this page for all information and forms to apply for the Doctor of Nursing Practice programs.
Application Deadlines for DNP Programs:
- Fall Admission – Deadline is February 15th
- Spring Admission – Deadline is July 15th
Applicants to the DNP Programs are required to complete both a Primary Application and a Supplemental Application.
The Primary Application is completed through The Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS). Applicants are responsible for any fees required by NursingCAS for their services.
The primary purpose of the Primary Application is to collect official transcripts. Applicants must request official transcripts from ALL college and university studies, regardless of the outcome of enrollment. Include all undergraduate, graduate, and professional institutions you have attended, even if the courses were not required for admission to a nursing program or were transferred to another institution. Include any non-degree programs (e.g., summer school) and foreign institutions attended, whether or not the coursework was transferred to a U.S. institution or resulted in a degree. Enter each institution only once, regardless of the number of degrees or gaps in the date of attendance.
A transcript is ONLY considered official if it is sent directly from the college or university to NursingCAS. These documents become the property of the NursingCAS and will not be returned to the applicant. We recommend transcripts be ordered two months before the deadline and that the applicant confirm receipt of these transcripts one month before the deadline.
Applicants who are finishing a BSN degree between the application deadline and the beginning of the semester for which they are applying are required to send a transcript to NursingCAS in time to meet the application deadline and then, if accepted, they are required to send an official degree-conferred transcript to the University of South Alabama Graduate Admissions Office prior to beginning the DNP program.
NursingCAS Application Status changes status from Received to Complete then Verified.
- Received status means NursingCAS has received your application but there is something missing (transcript, application fee).
- Complete status means NursingCAS has received all documents necessary to process your application.
- Verified status means NursingCAS has verified the information you entered into the application with the transcripts they received and they have calculated your undergraduate and graduate grade-point averages as appropriate.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that NursingCAS receives all transcripts, application fee, and completed application one month before the deadline for the semester for which they are applying in order for their application to reach the verified status by the application deadline.
- Complete all sections of the document required by NursingCAS.
- High School transcripts are not required for entrance into our graduate program.
- The applicant is required to enter all of the college coursework listed on their college/university transcripts. Since this is the most time-consuming section of the application, we suggest ordering personal, unofficial copies of your transcripts. Applicants should check with each institution to determine if they allow previous students to access unofficial transcripts electronically.
- The only applicants who are required to complete the TEST section are International applicants who have been instructed by our Office of International Services to submit their TOEFL scores.
- Please complete all information required under Professional Experience AND attach a typed curriculum vitae (CV) or resume which denotes all RN experience, employment history, certifications, publications, etc. Please be as thorough as possible, as this information will be reviewed intensely by the Graduate Admissions Committee.
- Letters of reference are not required for admission to our programs.
- The Personal Goal Statement will act as the writing sample for your application. This writing assignment will be reviewed by the Graduate Admissions Committee. Please discuss your educational and professional goals, short term and long term, and address how earning your degree will help you reach these goals. The Personal Goal Statement should be a minimum of 350 words. Please use APA formatting when writing your Personal Goal Statement.
- Privacy Statement - You are required to complete the Advisor Release Section and Certification and Verification Statement of this section.
- Designations – You may select ONLY ONE designation from the list below:
- MSN to DNP for Advanced Nursing Practice Roles is for students who have completed their MSN degree in an area of advanced practice nursing we offer here at the USA College of Nursing and want to earn their DNP in this same specialty area.
- MSN to DNP Adding a new Specialty Certification Area is for students who have completed their MSN degree in one specialty area but want to add a new specialty certification area along with their DNP in this same specialty area.
- MSN to DNP Bridge Program for Clinical Nurse Leaders to Executive Nursing Administration Pathway is for students who completed their MSN in the area of CNL and want to complete their DNP in the specialty area of Executive Nursing Administration.
- The BSN to DNP Pathway is for students who have completed their Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and desire to complete their MSN and DNP degrees.
The Supplemental Application
The Supplemental Application is the application which is sent electronically to the College of Nursing at the University of South Alabama.
- The Supplemental Application is submitted electronically to the DNP Office at the USA College of Nursing. To begin the Supplemental Application process, please go to https://applynow.southalabama.edu/Ellucian.ERecruiting.Web.External/Pages/Welcome.aspx and create a new account. Under Academic Information please select either fall or spring admission because we do not admit into the DNP program during the summer term. Select "graduate" under both student type and academic level of interest. A new option will appear asking if you are applying for a graduate nursing program, select "yes" and this will take you into the nursing application.
- Please note that the Supplemental Application should be completed AFTER you have completed your NursingCAS application and it has moved through the following stages: received, complete then VERIFIED. Once it is verified you may complete the Supplemental Application.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their completed Supplemental Application is submitted by the deadline for the semester for which they are applying. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- This application requires a non-refundable processing fee of $100.00.
Applicants with an Incomplete Application on the application due date are required to submit a new Supplemental Application to USA along with another Supplemental Application fee to be considered for the next application period. Applicants may contact NursingCAS to see when their current Primary Application will be verified and if there is anything they need to do to finish the application process in NursingCAS for the next application cycle.
Students who are accepted into the program and decide not to start the program in the term for which they are admitted are required to submit a new supplemental application and pay another supplemental application fee to be considered for admission to another term.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the college of nursing at firstname.lastname@example.org or (251) 445-9400.
For all inquiries related to the admissions process: email@example.com
For all current and continuing students: firstname.lastname@example.org