Suzanne Bihan RN, MSN
Senior Instructor Community/Mental Health Nursing Department
- Psychiatric Mental-Health Nursing in Children, Adolescents & Adults
- Substance Abuse Nursing Assessment & Treatment
- Sexual Assault Prevention, Assessment & Treatment in Children, Adolescents and Adults
- Psychiatric Disorders in the Homeless Population
Interdisciplinary Communication & Care
- MSN, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (Nursing), 1991
- BSN, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (Nursing), 1980
- Clinical Nurse Specialist, Rackham Graduate School, The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (Psychiatric Mental-Health Nursing) 1991.
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE), Fairhope, Alabama.
- Riley, B., Harris, J., Harlan, T., Moore-Nadler, M., Bihan, S., (2015). Simulation in mental health nursing: Preparation for the clinical experience. [Abstract]. Proceedings of the Alabama Academy of Science, USA, 86(2).
- Williams, S. G., & Bihan, S. (2012). Application of an Innovative, Autonomous, Creative Teaching Modality through Service-Learning in a Community-Health Nursing course. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 3(5), 116-127. doi: 10.5430/jnep.v3n5p116.
- Morris, P., & Bihan, S. (1991). The Prevalence of children with a history of sexual abuse in the psychiatric setting. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 4(2), 49-54.
Ongoing Research Support
- Riley, B. H. (Principal), McDermott, R., Harris, J. L., Minchew, L. A., Johnson, P. T., Sturdivant, T.,Bihan, S. M., "Application submitted 1/29/18 - Core competency of every RN: A community driven psychiatric focused strengthening of undergraduate nursing education/practice/retention,"Sponsored by HRSA, Nurse Education, Practice, Quality, and Retention Grant, External to the University, $ 2,447, 754. (Funding effective - July, 2018 - June 2022).
Completed Research Support
- Riley B. (Primary Investigator), Nadler, M. (Co-Investigator), Bihan, S. (Key Participant & Investigator). (2014, January). Mobile Project Homeless Connect, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL.
- Bihan, S. (1991, August). The prevalence of children with a history of sexual abuse in the psychiatric setting. Master’s Thesis, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Foley, T. (Primary Investigator), & Bihan, S. (Key Investigator). (1991, May). The prevalence of children with a history of sexual abuse in the psychiatric setting. Mott Children’s Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI.
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- Psychiatric Mental-Health Nursing Theory
- Psychiatric Mental-Health Nursing, Clinical (simulation)
- Leadership, Healthcare & Collaboration (RN-BSN
Issues & Trends in Professional Nursing (RN-BSN)
- Delegation & Decision Making in Nursing
Honors and Awards
- 2017 QEP Professional Development Fellow, (May, 2017). University of South Alabama. Mobile, AL.
- Faculty Service Award, University of South Alabama College of Nursing, 2009.
- Recommended for Respect Award, NAMI, 2008.
- Mentor Award, NAMI, 2007.
- Excellence in Psychiatric Nursing Award, University of Michigan, 1989, 1991