Chrystal Lewis, PhD, RN
Assistant Professor Adult Health Nursing
Healthcare Decision Making
Effects of Traumatic Stress on health care decision making
Families of ICU patients
Psychological Distress in critically ill patients and families
Palliative and End of Life Care
Education of Health Care Providers
Utilization of Palliative care
Management of rare diseases
Acute treatment behaviors and decision making
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing; University of Missouri – St. Louis; May 2015
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator; University of Missouri – St. Louis; August, 2009
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing; University of Alabama at Birmingham; May 2007
- Taylor, J. Z. & Lewis, C. L. (2018). Counseling adults with food allergies after an anaphylactic reaction: An application of emotion-focused therapy. Journal of Mental Health Counseling 40 (1), 14-25. https://doi.org/10.17744/mehc.40.1.02
- Lewis, C. L. & Taylor, J. Z. (2017). Impact of prior ICU experience on ICU patient family members' psychological distress: A descriptive study. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 43, 129-135. doi: 10.1016/j.iccn.2017.09.008.
- Holt, C., Dearmon, V., Lawerence, S., Lewis, C., & Skotzko, C. E. (2016). Implementing an evidence based practice protocol: A quality improvement project. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 32 (3), 234-241. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000231
Ongoing Research Support
- 2018 Lewis, C. L., Moore, E., & Riley, B. Palliative Care Needs for Patients with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and their Caregivers: A Pilot Study. University of South Alabama College of Nursing Dean’s Grant. Funded $5,000.
- 2017 Lewis, C. L. Utilization of TBL to Teach Healthcare Ethics to Undergraduate Nursing Students. University of South Alabama Innovation and Learning Center Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant. Funded $1,000.
Completed Research Support
- 2013 Lewis, C. L. A Comparison of the Effects of a Web-Based Education Program about the ICU Environment and a Standard Education Program on Anxiety, Depression, and Acute Stress Experienced Among Family Members of ICU Patients. Sigma Theta Tau International Nu Chi Chapter Research Grant. Funded $2,000
- 2011 Taylor, J. L., and Lewis, C. L., Creating Unique Student Paths to NCLEX-RN Success: Improving NCLEX-RN Pass Rates Utilizing Individualized Learning Plans. Sigma Theta Tau International Educational Assessment Nursing Research Grant sponsored by ATI Nursing Education. Funded $6,000um vel est.
Honors and Awards
- Claypool Scholar, University of Missouri – St. Louis, 2011.
- Mary Reardon Castles Award, University of Missouri – St. Louis, 2009
- Scientific Underpinnings of Advanced Nursing Practice, NU 607
- EBP & Quality Improvement HCS, NU 608
Organizational & System Leadership, NU 613
- Evidence Based Practice in Nursing, NU 304
- Nursing Honors, NU 499
Certifications and Affiliations
- Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing
- Member, Next Generation Leader Task Force, Sigma Theta Tau International
- Gulf Coast Organization of Nurse Executives
- End of Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) Train the Trainer
- University Hospital Nursing Practice Congress, Faculty Advisor
- University Hospital Evidence Based Practice Committee, Faculty Advisor
- Affiliate Faculty, Gulf Coast Behavioral Health & Resiliency Center