Leigh Minchew, DNP, CRNP, WHNP-BC, PMHNP
Associate Professor & Interim Department Chair Maternal Child Nursing
- Mental and physical health needs of gynecologic oncology survivors
- Reducing health disparities in women
- Implementation of group care models in the care of women across the lifespan
- Family-based health promotion in community settings
- DNP, Case Western Reserve University (Nursing), 2010
- MSN, Troy University (Nursing), 1997
- BSN, Troy University (Nursing), 1994
- BS, Troy University (Biology), 1991
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy-Hypnosis for Fatigue (CBTH4Fatigue), 2018
- Certificate, University of South Alabama, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, 2017
- Educating Nurses About Reproductive Issues in Cancer Healthcare (ENRICH), 2015
- Preparing Professional Nurses for Cancer Survivorship Care, 2014
- Certificate, University of South Alabama, Oncology, 2014
- Certificate, University of South Alabama, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, 2000
- Peterson, M., Minchew, L., & Spencer, R. (2017). Structured chemotherapy education: A review of the literature. Journal of Gynecologic Oncology Nursing, 4-14.
- Minchew, L. (2017). Singing the songs of life and work. Journal of Christian Nursing, 34(1), 10.
- Minchew, L. & Morgan, C. (2016). An innovative strategy for enhancing advanced practice nursing students’ interview skills. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(11), 663-664.
- Minchew, L. A. (2016). Primary Care Module 3: Musculoskeletal, neurologic, & psychosocial disorders. In WHNP Certification Exam Review Course & Women’s Health Update. Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health’s (NPWH) Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner: Washington, D.C. Available online at https://www.npwh.org/courses/curriculum/details/598
- Johnson, K.J., Minchew, L.A., Richter, S., Craft, C., & Lerner, R. (2016, July 21). Providing breast cancer survivorship: Lessons learned from a pilot project implementation. Cancer Nursing, 40(5), E51-E61.
- Minchew, L. (2015). Examining rural elderly women’s gynecological cancer screening practices using the precaution adoption process model. Journal of Gynecologic Oncology Nursing, 24(2), 24-34.
Ongoing Research Support
- Minchew, L., & Zlomke, K. (2018-present). Identifying Current Practices and Barriers to Creating a Healthy Home Environment. 2017-2018 University of South Alabama College of Nursing Dean’s Grant
Completed Research Support
- Morgan, C. (Project Director) & Minchew, L. (Co-Project Director). (2011). BSN to DNP for Women’s Health Nurse Practitioners. Health Resources Services Administration.
- Minchew, L. (Principal Investigator). (2011). Postpartum Depression Screening in Group Prenatal Care Participants. USA College of Nursing, Dean’s Grant, $3,000.00.
- Messer, C. (Project Director); Minchew, L. (Co-Project Director). (2011). A Centering Pregnancy Program for the University of South Alabama. March of Dimes.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Project Planning, and Residency Courses
- NU 613 Organizational and Systems Leadership
- NU 612 Clinical Prevention and Population Health
- NU 607 Scientific Underpinnings of Advanced Nursing Practice
Graduate Courses Taught
- MCN 541 Health Promotion/Disease Prevention & Issues for the Women’s Health NP
- MCN 538 Introduction to Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
- MCN 542 Women’s Health NP I
- MCN 543 Women’s Health NP Practicum I
- MCN 544 Women’s Health NP II
- MCN 545 Women’s Health NP Practicum II
- MCN 546 Women’s Health NP Practicum III
- MCN 547 Women’s Health NP III
- NU 518 Advanced Nursing Assessment
- NU 578 Pharmacology for Advanced Practice Nurses
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- MCN 348 Childbearing/Childrearing Nursing Clinical
Honors and Awards
- Duke Johnson & Johnson’s Nurse Leadership Fellows Program, Durham, NC.
- Chair and Lt. Governor’s Appointee, Alabama Office of Women’s Health Steering Committee, Montgomery, AL.
- Board of Directors, Society of Gynecologic Nurse Oncologists
Outstanding Regional Nurse Practitioner Award – Bay Area, Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, 2016
- Volunteer of the Year Award, Alabama Office of Women’s Health, Montgomery, AL, 2014
- President’s Award for Excellence, Sigma Theta Tau International
- Honor Society of Nursing, Zeta Gamma Chapter, Mobile, AL 3013
- Excellence in Nursing Education Award, Sigma Theta Tau
- International Honor Society of Nursing, Zeta Gamma Chapter, Mobile, AL 2012
- Excellence in Teaching Faculty Award, University of South Alabama, College of Nursing, 2010