Please select the link below to access the official USA Thesis and Dissertation Guide. This guide gives the required process to successfully complete the master's thesis and the Ph.D. dissertation at USA. Please note the rules and requirements shown in this document must be followed to achieve a thesis or dissertation that will meet the standards for final approval.
Students are welcome to call the Graduate School office at (251) 460-6310 to set up an appointment to discuss any questions they may have with the thesis/dissertation process at any time during the academic year.
For information on due dates for each semester of the academic year, please see the Graduate School calendar at http://www.southalabama.edu/colleges/graduateschool/resources/calendar_201718.pdf.
- Guide for Preparing the Prospectus
- Guide for Preparing Theses and Dissertations
- Thesis - Dissertation Timeline
- Thesis Template
- The Top 15 Errors Most Frequently Encountered on Theses and Dissertations
- Latex template - please contact the Graduate School for this template to be emailed to you in a zip file.
- T/D FAQ'S
- Sample Institutional Review Board (IRB) Approval Notice - IF your research involves HUMAN SUBJECTS, you MUST obtain IRB approval http://www.southalabama.edu/departments/research/compliance/humansubjects BEFORE your research begins. This form MUST be listed in your Appendix section. See sample thesis on this page for formatting.
- Line Spacing Template
- Subdivisions Formatting Guide
- Signature Page Template
- Title Page Template
- Table of Contents Template
- List of Tables Template
- List of Figures Template
- Cover Page Template
- Abstract Preparation Template
- Biographical Sketch Template
- USA Graduate School Checklist for Thesis/Dissertation Submission
- Sample Thesis by Kari Servold - Please note that Ms. Servold did not utilize subdivision headings and only used chapter headings in her paper. To see how subdivision headings should be organized in Table of Contents and in your paper, see the thesis template document listed above.
The thesis template written by Dr. Hain (who is no longer with the University of South Alabama), copyright date of June 2002, is OUTDATED and should NOT be used. Please only use the template published on this page by the USA Graduate School.
Some graduate students preparing a thesis or dissertation may find it useful to look at a previous thesis that has been through the approval process. A past student has graciously given permission to use the attached thesis for this purpose. You should follow the USA Thesis and Dissertation Guide to understand all the requirements for a thesis or dissertation document, but the attached model may be useful to visualize the document that you are preparing. The document can serve as a template to help you properly set up your own document. Note that the Thesis and Dissertation Guide allows some variation as to preferred styles in different academic disciplines, so depending on your discipline there will be some variation from this sample document.
Opportunities Are Endless When Your Efforts Are Focused.