text only
University of South Alabama
Home Index Search Directories Faq
Counseling and Testing Services

 

Alcohol Poisoning: What You Should Know
 
 

What is alcohol poisoning?

 
Alcohol poisoning is an acute, toxic condition that results from excessive amounts of alcohol being consumed within a relatively short period of time. Alcohol poisoning may be fatal when it is associated with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .30 or higher. Death from alcohol poisoning may result from respiratory and/or cardiac arrest or choking on one's vomit leading to asphyxiation. Even if the person survives, irreversible brain damage may occur.
 

What are the signs of alcohol poisoning?

 
  • Mental confusion
  • Passed out and cannot be aroused
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Slow or irregular breathing
  • Seizures
  • Low body temperature
  • Pale or bluish skin color
 

What should I do if I suspect someone has alcohol poisoning?

 
Recognize that alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency. Seek help immediately by calling 511 if you are on campus and 911 if off-campus. Turn the affected individual on his/her side and stay there until help arrives. Do not hesitate to seek help because you are concerned about the person's possible reaction later. It is better to be safe than sorry.
 
For further information contact the USA Substance Abuse Program at
(251) 460-7980.
 
 

University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-7051
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: April 4, 2013 11:48 AM
http://www.southalabama.edu/counseling/poison.html

University of South Alabama