text only
University of South Alabama
Home Index Search Directories Faq
Counseling and Testing Services


How Can I Tell If I Have A Problem?

Drug or alcohol problems can affect everyone regardless of age, sex, race, marital status, income level, or lifestyle.  You may have a serious problem with drugs or alcohol if:

  • You drink or get high on a regular basis.
  • You lie about the amount of drugs or alcohol you are using.
  • You have given up activities such as sports, homework, or hanging out with friends who don't use drugs or drink.
  • You believe that in order to have fun you need to drink and/or use drugs.
  • You turn to alcohol and/or drugs to relieve stress.
  • You drink or use more drugs to get the same effect you got with smaller amounts.
  • You drink and/or use drugs alone.
  • You have had trouble at work or in school because of drugs or alcohol use.
  • You become angry when others question you about your use of alcohol or drugs.
  • You have experienced blackouts.
  • You have made promises to yourself and others that you would stop drinking or using drugs.
  • You feel alone, miserable, and depressed.
Source:  National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
For assistance, contact the USA Substance Abuse Program at
(251) 460-7980.

University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 / 1 (251) 460-7051
For questions or comments Contact Us
Date last changed: April 4, 2013 11:48 AM

University of South Alabama