3.3.4.? Emeritus Dean
The institution may confer, at its discretion, the tile of “emeritus” on any Dean who, at the time of retirement, had 10 or more years of honorable and distinguished service to the University of South Alabama.
All academic Deans holding rank of Dean at the University are eligible for consideration for emeritus status. The Dean must have retired officially from the University of South Alabama and have ten or more years of service at the university. Deans entering into retirement as the result of a disability may be exempt from the ten year requirement. Deans may also be considered by exception posthumously.
Eligible Deans are recognized for emeritus status for honorable and distinguished service to the university. It is expected that this would be evident in significant contributions in one or more of the following areas: teaching, research, service, scholarship, or administration.
· At the time of retirement the eligible Deans will be considered for emeritus status by the Provost / Vice President for Health Sciences.
· With a favorable vote from Faculty Senate, the Provost / Vice President for Health Sciences will send a letter to the President. The nomination letter must address one or more of the stated criteria. Additionally, current curriculum vitae must accompany the nomination letter. Deans not considered at the time of retirement due to differences in historic policies, may also be recommended.
· The Provost / Vice President for Health Sciences will review all materials / recommendations and forward a recommendation along with the nomination materials / recommendations to the President.
· The President will review all materials / recommendations and forward a recommendation to the Board of Trustees. All recommendations will be considered by the Board of Trustees only once each year, during the September meeting.
· Upon approval of the Board of Trustees, the President will send a letter to the candidate notifying her/him of the emeritus appointment. The duration of the emeritus appointment is for life unless terminated earlier by the Board of Trustees.
Benefits / Privileges
· Emeritus Status is an honor that includes the following privileges to the extent available:
· Name included in listing of Emeritus Deans
· Certificate with name and emeritus status
· Library privileges including opportunity to use electronic databases within library
· Invitations to various university events
· May serve by invitation on various university related committees
· May be invited to serve as guest lecturer or in other volunteer service
· University email account available
· May be a member of recreation center
· May use Faculty Club
· May attend university cultural events