National Alumni Association Recognizes Excellence, Service
Posted on March 4, 2016 by Joy Washington
The University of South Alabama National Alumni Association honored six notable alumni and friends during its annual Distinguished Alumni and Service Awards gala March 3 at the Mitchell Center. A reception was held at the Waterman Globe followed by dinner and the awards program.
“These are extraordinary individuals with a passion for excellence and serving others,” said President Tony G. Waldrop. “We honor them this evening for their outstanding achievements and service to their communities and the world.”
This year’s recipients of the Distinguished Service Award:
- Diana Kahler Laier ‘83, and Dr. James Emil Laier, owners of Southern Earth Sciences, Inc.
- Christopher L. Lee, executive director of the J.L. Bedsole Foundation, is the V. Gordon Moulton Service Award recipient.
This year’s recipients of the Distinguished Alumni Award:
- Jonathan L. Hursh, ‘04, founder and president of Included, a global non-profit organization, and Utopia, a design and urban planning firm.
- James H. “Jimmy” Shumock, ‘80, secretary of the USA Board of Trustees and chief executive officer of Thompson Holdings and Thompson Engineering.
- Dr. Mark S. Williams, ‘80, chief physician executive for Tenet Healthcare and Brookwood Medical Center in Birmingham.
“During the awards gala, we recognize the achievements and contributions of alumni, advocates and donors of USA,” said Director of Alumni Relations Karen Edwards. “We are pleased to honor those who are committed to advancing USA’s values and mission, and we look forward to this annual event.”
The University of South Alabama National Alumni Association was founded in 1974 with a mission to support and positively influence the goals of the University through an active relationship with the University, its alumni, students and friends. It exists to provide support to the University. The vision of the USA National Alumni Association is to provide comprehensive programs, services, and resources to benefit the University, its alumni, students and friends.
USA currently enrolls 16,462 students and has awarded more than 82,000 degrees. The number of individual alumni in USA’s history total more than 67,000.
Latest University News
Honors Student Wins Top Poster AwardMonica Sai Pasala, a junior biomedical sciences major, conducted resea...
November 21, 2017
South Raises $245K for United Way AgenciesMore than 2,300 employees and retirees donated, making USA the leader ...
January 1, 2016
South Recognized for Rising Retention RatesUSA received the national 'Return on Education Award' for improving pe...
November 20, 2017
South Holds International Education WeekUSA hosted events throughout the week celebrating international educat...
November 17, 2017