Parking, Pipes, Power, Roads and Roofs to be Upgraded
Posted on April 20, 2017
The University’s continuing infrastructure enhancements on the main campus will shift into a higher gear during the upcoming summer semester. Work is scheduled to begin in earnest on May 7, the day after spring commencement exercises. Here is a summary of the activities, with scheduled start and end dates:
- May-Start of Fall Semester: A 248-space, gravel parking lot will be built in the wooded area north of the new Connector Road and east of Health Services Drive. The site will include sidewalks and JagTran access.
- May 7-August 1: Restricted parking at the Student Center, Alumni Hall and Seaman’s Bethel to accommodate installation of underground piping and the reconfiguration of the Student Center loading dock for improved traffic flow and delivery access. The Bookstore entrance will serve as a temporary delivery location.
- May 8-early June: Closure of Cleverdon Parkway for the installation of new turn lanes where Cleverdon meets Old Shell and Hillcrest roads. Detour routes will be provided.
- May 8-August 1: Restricted parking at the Instructional Laboratory Building and Life Sciences Building to accommodate equipment storage for new roofs on those buildings.
- May 8-August 1: Occasional detours just west of the Laidlaw Performing Arts Center for an underground piping project.
- May 8-most of summer: Closure of Tonsmeire Drive to accommodate the construction of an Alabama Power substation north of The Grove.
- Late May to mid-June: Closure of USA South Drive at the traffic circle for underground piping installation.
- Mid-July to late July: Closure of Stadium Drive at the traffic circle for crosswalk improvements.
- Throughout the summer: Reduced parking in the vicinity of the residence hall under construction next to New Hall and the Jaguar Training Center east of the football practice fields.
Also, several campus roads will receive restriped turning lanes along with crosswalk painting this summer. While all roads should re-open by Aug. 1, scheduled work is subject to change, especially if weather conditions require adjustments to various projects.
For specific questions about the projects, please call Facilities Management at 460-7127. Updates on the work will be announced to the University community as needed.
Latest University News
Medicine From Bench to BedsideThe USA Center for Lung Biology has success in investigating lung dise...
June 14, 2018
Poarch Creeks Donate $500,000The Poarch Band of Creek Indians' gift will fund the Chief Calvin W. M...
June 11, 2018
'We Needed to Tell This Story'USA and Spring Hill College faculty are collaborating on a documentary...
June 4, 2018
Green Light for Stadium Site WorkSouth's Board of Trustees authorized preliminary work on a campus foot...
June 1, 2018