USA Pays Tribute to Academic All Stars
Posted on April 28, 2016 by Joy Washington
The University of South Alabama honored 40 students as 2016 Academic All Stars and recipients of national scholarships, fellowships and research experiences.
A reception was held recently to honor and present awards to the students for their dedication and academic success. President Tony Waldrop welcomed the students and their families and shared the importance of this recognition.
“It’s important that we celebrate our students for their outstanding achievements,” Waldrop said. “We are proud our students serve as ambassadors for the University, and we applaud them for their success.”
The Academic All Stars reception was created three years ago to recognize outstanding students receiving national recognition for excellent work through research and fellowship/scholarship opportunities.
The program is planned by Dr. Marsha Hamilton and Dr. Sally Steadman, scholarship coordinators for the USA Honors Program. Dr. Michael Doran, director of the Honors Program was also recognized for his work. Also recognized for supporting and mentoring the Academic All Stars are Goldwater Scholarship Committee Chair Dr. Michael Spector and Dr. Jack Shelley-Tremblay, undergraduate research mentor.
“It’s important that we honor our students for their outstanding academic achievement,” said Dr. David Johnson, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs. “We are proud these students are receiving prestigious national awards.”
Here are the USA 2016 Academic All Stars, by name, major and hometown.
- 2014-2016-Catherine Zivanov, chemistry, Semmes
- 2015-2017-Robert Mines, chemical and biomolecular engineering, Pensacola, Fla.
Goldwater Honorable Mention
- 2015-Mikayla Walters, chemical and biomolecular engineering, Ocean Springs, Miss.
- 2016-Angela McGaugh, biomedical sciences, Pensacola, Fla.
- 2016-Madison Tuttle, chemistry, Ocean Springs, Miss.
- 2014-16-Nick Grondin, meteorology, Newington, Conn.
- 2015-17-Bethany Cobb, geology, Mobile
Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- University of Michigan-George Moore, mechanical engineering, Lucedale, Miss.
- Harvard-Tony Miller, chemical engineering, Mobile
- Rutgers-Robert Mines, chemical engineering, Pensacola, Fla.
- Texas A&M-Christine Paschal, meteorology, Virginia Beach, Va.
- University of Nottingham, UK.-Catherine Zivanov, chemistry, Semmes
Tau Beta Pi Scholarship Recipients
- Benjamin Burleson, chemical engineering, Satsuma
- Bradley Harris, chemical engineering, Mobile
- Ryan Hutchison, chemical engineering, Seattle, Wash.
- Robert Mines, chemical engineering, Pensacola, Fla.
- William Spikes, chemical engineering, Mobile
- Brannon Kerrigan, electrical engineering, D'Iberville, Miss.
- William Mullins, electrical engineering, Pensacola, Fla.
- George Moore, mechanical engineering, Lucedale, Miss.
- Boni Yraguen, mechanical engineering, Roseburg, Ore.
Study Abroad Scholarships
- Charles Barrow, foreign languages, Mobile
- Matthew Daugherty, mechanical engineering, Mobile
- Megan McDowell, English, Huntsville
Project Go Leadership
- Caroline Murrell, foreign languages, Alabaster, Ala.
National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship
- Robert Mines, chemical and biomolecular engineering, Pensacola, Fla.
- Boni Yraguen, mechanical engineering/Georgia Tech, Roseburg, Ore.
- Ric Poirson, computer science/University of North Carolina, Ocean Springs, Miss.
- Honorable Mention, Bobby Faulk/USA psychology, Mobile
Department of Defense Smart Fellowship (Includes internship/permanent position)
- Joshua Marshall, systems engineering, Moss Point, Miss.
- Cody Salter, systems engineering, Theodore
American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship
- Emily Turner, basic medical sciences, Ocean Springs, Miss.
- Naga Annamdevula, basic medical sciences, Andhra Pradesh, India
American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Adam Morrow, basic medical sciences, Muscle Shoals, Ala.
American Academy of Physician Assistants, Veterans Caucus
- Veronica Dawson, physician assistant studies, Charlottesville, Va.
National Health Service Corps Scholarship
- Chasity Gibson, physician assistant studies, Phenix City, Ala.
Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions Scholarship
- Dalton Newell, physical therapy, Toomsuba, Miss.
Golden Key International Honor Society
- Sharon Drye, doctor of audiology, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching
- Meagan O’Neill, instructional design, Spanish Fort
AICHE/Separations Division Graduate Award
- Meagan Bunge, systems engineering, Springfield, Mo.
Latest University News
Fulfilling a Lifelong Dream in Marine BiologyPh.D. student Meredith Diskin spent her summer on a fellowship at the ...
September 17, 2018
National Down Syndrome Society Honors USA StudentBenjamin Pelham, the first student to be admitted into PASSAGE USA, is...
September 14, 2018
Alumni Association Honors Faculty, AlumnusThe USA National Alumni Association annually recognizes five faculty m...
September 11, 2018
40 Years of Hundreds of Years of HistoryStarted as a photo archive at Brookley Field, USA's Doy Leale McCall R...
September 10, 2018