Students, Organizations Recognized for Leadership
Posted on May 20, 2015 by Joy Washington
The University of South Alabama held its Student Organization Leadership Awards luncheon recently to honor and showcase the wonderful campus and community projects being done. Several students with the help of campus organization members have made a huge impact this academic year.
“Our office is responsible for the registration and supervision of over 200 student clubs and organizations ranging from social to professional/departmental, religious organizations, honor societies and special interest groups,” said Brigette Soderland, assistant director of student activities. “There is something for everyone.”
The award recipients:
- Program of the Year – Epsilon Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. This organization has hosted Breast Cancer Awareness events on campus, including Think Pink lemonade stand, Handprints for Memories, and the Breast Cancer Carnival. This organization also donated $1,000 to the USA Mitchell Cancer Institute.
- Emerging Leader of the Year – Shravya Utlapali of Camp Kesem USA. She is known for her enthusiasm and dedication to the organization. Camp Kesem is a newer organization on campus that facilitates a summer camp for children of parents that have been diagnosed with cancer.
- Outstanding Student Leader of the Year – Jared Elmore of the Rock Climbing Club. He is known for his dedication to the organization and his passion for climbing. He uses care to implement safe climbing practices and draw others to the sport.
- Graduate Student Leader of the Year – Psychiatry Student Interest Group Network, PsychSIGN. This organization hosted a Lunch & Learn series for medical school students. This organization provides networking and research by providing health and mental screenings for the Mobile community. These screenings are located at the Flea Market at no cost to the public.
- Student Organization of the Year – USA Sustainability Council. This organization has established an on-campus recycling program. The members were also involved with the Mardi Gras Ecoteam, Coastal Cleanup and Dog River Clearwater Revival.
The mission of USA Student Activities is to connect students with organizations, services and programs that will enhance their interests and passions while complimenting academic development. USA Student Activities encourages both individual and group experiences that foster interpersonal relationships, promote the application of practical and useful skills, and enhance the academic learning environment. USA Student Activities values experiences that inspire leadership, cultivate diversity, encourage campus and community engagement and clarify individual values.
As part of the Division of Student Affairs, USA Student Activities seeks to provide students with developmental opportunities beyond the scope of the classroom through involvement in activities, campus and community service, and student organizations. A current list of organizations is available on the USA web site.
Latest University News
Fulfilling a Lifelong Dream in Marine BiologyPh.D. student Meredith Diskin spent her summer on a fellowship at the ...
September 17, 2018
National Down Syndrome Society Honors USA StudentBenjamin Pelham, the first student to be admitted into PASSAGE USA, is...
September 14, 2018
Alumni Association Honors Faculty, AlumnusThe USA National Alumni Association annually recognizes five faculty m...
September 11, 2018
40 Years of Hundreds of Years of HistoryStarted as a photo archive at Brookley Field, USA's Doy Leale McCall R...
September 10, 2018