USA Receives Record Number of Study Abroad Scholarships for 2015
Posted on June 29, 2015 by Joy Washington
The University of South Alabama Study Abroad program has received more than $100,000 in scholarship funds, which have been awarded to support students studying overseas this summer.
“The increase in funding for study abroad students at USA has had a huge impact on the number of students we have been able to help go abroad,” noted Bri Altier, coordinator of international education at the University. “We are proud to say we have gone from 74 students going abroad during 2013-2014 to 175 students being able to travel and study during the 2014-2015 academic year.”
USA’s scholarships and grants totaled $121,212 for the Study Abroad program. The University also received an additional $9,000 from the national Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship, which provides funds for students who show a high financial need while studying abroad. The total amount awarded for USA Study Abroad for summer 2015 is $130, 212.
Sources of the Scholarships and Grants for USA Study Abroad:• The International Education Study Abroad Scholarship
• The Honors Program
• Foreign Languages and Literatures
• The James and Ivel Caldwell Scholars and Nowlin-Caldwell Scholarships
• Caldwell Endowment
• The Hooker-Kubik Endowment
• National Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship
Here are some of the more than 100 USA students benefiting from the scholarships and grants to support travel abroad this summer:
Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship Recipients:
- Charles Barrow, a foreign languages and literatures major from Theodore, Ala. He’s attending a USA faculty-led program in Russia to study Russian.
- Matthew Daugherty, a mechanical engineering major from Mobile. He’s attending a USA faculty-led program in Russia to study Russian.
- Megan McDowell, an English major from Madison, Ala. She’s attending a USA faculty-led program in Japan to study history.
Hooker-Kubik Endowment Recipients:
- Kassy Urena-Rodriguez, an international studies major from Eight Mile, Ala. She’s attending a USA faculty-led program in Russia to study Russian.
- Aurora Herriott, an information technology major from Mobile. She’s attending a USA faculty-led program in Russia to study Russian.
Here are two of the 75 International Education Study Abroad Scholarship Recipients for this summer:
- Jan-Dominique de Jesus Santos, a French major from Mobile is attending The Centre International d’Etudes Françaises, CIEF, which is an internal structure of the University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne in France. She will study French.
- Becky Bruhl, a sociology major from Mobile. She’s attending a USA faculty-led program in the United Kingdom to study sociology and history.
For students who are interested in participating in a Study Abroad experience, there are requirements and policies. Each student must be in compliance with all USA academic and student code policies, which are listed in the USA Bulletin and The Lowdown.
Students should have a minimum of a 2.25 overall grade-point average. Also, students whose GPA is between 2.0 and 2.25 must meet with their academic advisor and the Study Abroad coordinator to discuss participation and program options. Students who have a 2.25 grade-point average will also be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. In addition to USA's GPA requirement, students must meet the GPA requirements of the host institution.
Funding is available for USA Study Aboard students during all semesters,” Altier said. “The new and long-standing scholarships for the Study Abroad students have been an invaluable asset in making study abroad a reality for many USA students."
For more information visit, http://www.southalabama.edu/departments/ie/studyabroad/index.html.
Caption: Morgan Brown, a USA study abroad student is showing great school spirit while studying in Italy during the summer of 2014.
Latest University News
Six Investing Tips for a Turbulent MarketWant to know how to time the market? Don't bother trying, says South's...
February 21, 2018
University Libraries Celebrate 50 YearsSouth's libraries begin a year-long celebration that will showcase the...
February 20, 2018
Theatre USA to Present 'She Kills Monsters'The contemporary comedy will run from Feb. 16 to Feb. 24. Tickets are ...
February 16, 2018
Associate Dean Named to International BoardDr. Krista Harrell will represent South on the Association of College ...
February 14, 2018