Veteran Affairs


Welcome Student Veteran

The University of South Alabama is proud to welcome you to our jaguar family. USA appreciates your time in service to our nation and aims to facilitate your academic success by providing support, resources and information that meet your needs as a veteran and a student.

All veterans, veterans' dependents, and active duty personnel may utilize services provided by the Office of Veteran Affairs. This office is operated by staff members of the University of South Alabama. All degree programs are approved for the education of veterans, service members, and dependents of veterans eligible for benefits under the programs of the state and federal Department of Veterans Affairs.

New Students

New veteran students should report to the Office of Veteran Affairs at the time of application to the university. Certification for benefits must be requested in writing and signed by an advisor for each term.

Due to changes in benefit allowances and VA policies, students using VA benefits should regularly visit the VA home page at Students should also maintain regular contact with the Office of Veteran Affairs at (251) 460-6230 or

Students receiving veteran's benefits are responsible for the payment of all tuition and fees at the time of registration. The G.I. Bill may not meet the total cost of attendance. For a net price calculator, please go to Students may also apply for Financial Aid to cover any unmet need. Post 9/11 students may be an exception. It is the student's responsibility to assure that all requests for VA and Federal Tuition Assistance are submitted in advance and in a timely manner. A payment plan is offered through the University of South Alabama Federal Credit Union. For more information about this plan call (251) 706-0255.

Information regarding VA benefits, including eligibility, payment information, remaining entitlement, or the address of the nearest regional office is available through the VA at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) or online at

For information concerning "Transfer Credit from Military Service School", see the 'Enrollment Services' Section of the USA Bulletin.