Michael P. Windham
- PhD in Mathematics, Rice University (1970)
- BA (magna cum laude), Rice University (1966)
- 1995 - 2005, Professor, University of South Alabama
- 1986 - 1995, Professor, Utah State University
- 1976 - 1986, Associate Professor, Utah State University
- 1971 - 1976, Assistant Professor, Utah State University
- 1970 - 1971, Instructor, University of Miami
- 1995 - 1996, President, Classification Society of North America
- 1995 - 2001, Chairman, Mathematics and Statistics, University of
- Born September 23, 1944 in Houston, Texas
- Wife - Carol Thompson Windham
- Sons - David (1970) and Jonathan (1974)
- College of Science Teacher of the Year, Utah State University - 1995
- Concavity in data analysis (2003) Journal of Classification, 20,
77 - 92.
- Robust clustering, (2000) Data Analysis: Scientific Modeling and
W. Gaul, O. Opitz, M. Schader, eds. Berlin: Springer, 385 - 392.
- A geometric approach to cluster validity for normal mixtures, (with
J.C. Bezdek, W.Q. Li, Y. Attikiouzel) (1997) Soft Computing,
1, 166 - 179.
- Robustizing model selection (1995) Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 57, 599 - 609.
- Information ratios for validating mixture analyses, (with A.
Cutler) (1992) Journal of the American Statistical Association,
87, 1188 - 1192
- Numerical comparison of the RFCM and AP algorithms for
clustering relational data, (with J.C. Bezdek and R.J.
Hathaway) (1991) Pattern Recognition, 24, 783 - 791
- Parameter modification for clustering criteria (1987) Journal of
Classification, 4, 191 - 214
- Local convergence analysis of a grouped variable version of
coordinate descent, (with J.C. Bezdek, R.J. Hathaway, R.E.
Howard and C.A. Wilson) (1987) Journal of Optimization Theory and
Applications, 54, 471 - 477
- Numerical classification of proximity data with assignment
measures (1985) Journal of Classification, 2, 157 - 172
- Cluster analysis to improve food classification within
commodity groups, (with C.T. Windham, B.W. Wyse, and R.G.
Hansen) (1985) Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 85,
1306 - 1314
- Geometrical fuzzy clustering algorithms (1983) Fuzzy Sets and
Systems, 10, 271 - 279
- Comparison of techniques for assessing effects of load
uncertainty upon a long term phosphorus model, (with R.
Malone, D. Bowles and W. Grenney) (1983)
Applied Mathematical Modeling,
7, 11 - 18
- Cluster validity for the fuzzy c-means algorithm (1982) IEEE
Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 4, 357 - 363
- Random differential equations in river water quality
modeling, (with B. Finney and D. Bowles) (1982) Water Resources
Research, 18, 122 - 134
- Cluster validity for fuzzy clustering algorithms (1981) Fuzzy
Sets and Systems, 5, 177 - 185
- Statistical parameters of cluster validity functionals, (with
J.C. Bezdek and R. Ehrlich) (1980) International Journal of
Computers and Information Science, 9(4), 323 - 336
- Reliability for linear differential equations with noisy
coefficients (1979) Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 5,
141 - 145
- Finitely-generated F-algebras with applications to Stein
manifolds, (with E.R. Heal) (1974) Pacific Journal of
Mathematics, 51, 459 - 465
- Robustizing mixture analysis using model weighting (1996) From
Data to Knowledge: Theoretical and Practical Aspects of
Classification, Data Analysis and Knowledge Organization,
Proceedings of Gesellschaft für Klassifikation, Oldenburg,
Germany, 1994. W. Gaul, D. Pfeifer, eds. Berlin:
Springer, 116 - 123.
- Mixture analysis with noisy data, (with
A. Cutler) (1994) Proceedings of International Federation of
Classification Societies, Paris, to appear
- Information-based validity functionals for mixture analysis,
(with A. Cutler) (1994) Proceedings of the First US/Japan Conference
on the Frontiers of Statistical Modeling: An Informational
Approach, H. Bozdogan, ed., Amsterdam: Kluwer, 149 - 170
- Statistical models for cluster analysis (1991) in
Symbolic-Numeric Data Analysis and Learning, E. Diday and
Y. Lechevallier, eds., New York: Nova Science, 17-26
- Analysis of continuous assignment clustering
results (1988) in Classification and Related Methods of Data
Analysis, H-H. Bock, ed., Amsterdam: North-Holland, 173-178
- A unification of optimization-based numerical classification
algorithms (1986) in Classification as a Tool for Research, W.
Gaul and M. Schader, eds., Amsterdam: North Holland, 447 - 451
- Classification with weights (1983) Studien zur Klassifikation,
13, 250 - 257
- Utah State University Summer Research Minigrants:
Representative sub-systems of social systems - 1973
Stochastic integration and differential equations - 1976
Weighted objective function clustering algorithms -1983
- Audio-visuals for calculus, Utah State University Learning
Resources Center, 1971.
Return to Contents
- Fast algorithms for estimating mixture parameters, (with H.
Walker) Army Research Office ($55,000) National Science Foundation
- Cooperative agreement with USDA Human Nutrition Information Service
($14,000, C. Windham PI)
- NSF Travel Grant to IFCS87 Aachen ($512)