Xin-Min Zhang's CV
- B.S., Mathematics,
Shaanxi Normal University,
- M.S., Mathematics,
University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1987
- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1990
- Professor of Mathematics,
University of South Alabama,
- Associate Professor of Mathematics, University of South Alabama,
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, University of South Alabama,
- Teaching assistant and Teaching associate, University of
Massachusetts at Amherst, 1985-90
- Instructor, Shaanxi Normal University, PRC, 1975-85
- A note on the Self-Map of the Interval,
J. Math. Res. Exposition, 5(1985), No. 2, p144. MR 87j:58055.
- Newman's Theorem for Spherical Submanifolds,
Bull. Inst. of Math., Academia Sinica, 21(1993)326-336. MR 95h:53083.
- Isometric Immersion of Minimal Spherical Submanifolds
Via the Second Standard Immersion of the Sphere,
Tamkang Journal of Mathematics, 23(1992)149-159. MR 93h:53066.
- Eigenvalue Estimates for Higher Order Elliptic Equations
(with Ku-Ku), Tamkang Journal of Mathematics, 25(1994)267-278.
- Analytic and Geometric Isoperimetric Inequalities (with
Ku-Ku), Journal of Geometry, 53(1995)100-121. MR 96f:52012.
- A Refinement of the Discrete Wirtinger Inequality,
Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications,
200(1996)687-697. MR 97h:26012.
- Bonnesen-Style Inequalities and Pseudo-Perimeters for
Polygons, Journal of Geometry, 60(1997)188-201.
- Isoperimetric Inequalities on Surfaces of Constant
Curvature (with Ku-Ku), Canadian Journal of Mathematics,
- Inequalities for Symmetric Means, Symmetric Harmonic Means,
and Their Applications (with Ku-Ku), Bull. Austral. Math. Soc.,
- Schur-Convex Functions and Isoperimetric Inequalities,
Proc. AMS, 126(1998)461-470. MR 98d:26005.
- Generalized Power Means and Interpolating Inequalities
(with Ku-Ku), Proc. AMS, 127(1999)145-154.
- Optimization of Schur-Convex Functions,
Mathematical Inequalities and Applications, Vol.1, No.3,
- A New Criterion to Measure the Efficiency of a Design (with
D. Bhaumik), Sankhya-The Indian J. Stat., ser. B, Vol. 60
- Dynamic Geometry of Polygons, (with R. Hitt),
Elemente der Mathematik , 56(2001)21-37.
- Markov Chains and Dynamic Geometry of Polygons, (with Hitt
and Ding), Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 367(2003)255-270.
- Sierpinski Pedal Triangles, (with Hitt and Ding), preprint.
- Calculus and Isoperimetric Quotients , Alabama Journal of
Mathematics , Vol. 20, No. 2, (1996)17-22.
- Geometric Interpretations of the Continuous Mean , (with A.
Shah), Pi Mu Epsilon Journal , Vol. 10, No. 9, (1998)712-721.
- From Twin-Peaks to Multipeaks: An Application of Jensen's
Inequality, Missouri J. Math. Sci. , Vol. 11, No. 2,
- Discrete Analytic and Geometric Inequalities---Lewis-Parker Lecture.
Alabama Journal of Mathematics , Vol. 24, No. 2, (2000)1-16.
Conferences and Presentations
American Mathematical Society meeting 969,
Ohio State University, Sept. 21-23, 2001.
Presentation: Sierpinski Pedal Triangles
Second Southern Conference on Computing 2000,
Hattiesburg, MS, Oct. 26-28, 2000.
Program committee member.
Second US-Hungary Workshop in Discrete Geometry and Convexity
Auburn, AL, March 21--26, 2000.
Presentation: Markov Chains and Dynamic Geometry of Polygons,
Lewis-Parker Lecture, (one-hour invited talk) Troy, AL, Feb. 15, 2000
Alabama Association of College Teachers of Mathematics.
Presentation: Discrete Analytic and Geometric Inequalities.
American Mathematical Society meeting 941,
Univ. of Ill. at Urbana, March, 1999.
Presentation: Dynamic Geometry of Polygons
The 14th SouthEastern Analysis Meeting,
Tuscaloosa, AL, Feb. 27-28, 1998.
Presentation: Analytic Inequalities Related to Schur-Convex Functions
The 12th Auburn Min-Conference on Real Analysis,
Auburn, AL, March 1997.
Presentation: Inequalities for symmetric and harmonic symmetric means
- Affine Geometry of Convex Sets,
Halifax, NS, Canada, July, 1996.
Presentation: Some Bonnesen-Style Inequalities for Polygons
- 1996 AMS-IMS-SIAM Joint Summer Research Conferences.
Discrete and Computational Geometry,
Mt. Holyoke, MA, July, 1996.
- The 11th Auburn Min-Conference on Real Analysis,
Auburn, AL, March 1996.
Presentation: Schur-Convex Functions and Isoperimetric Inequalities
- The 5th Annual USA/USM Min-Conference on Undergraduate
Research in Mathematical Sciences, Mobile, Feb. 15, 1996.
Presentation: Calculus, Isoperimetric Quotients, and Majorizations
- 1995 AMS-IMS-SIAM Joint Summer Research Conferences
Finsler Geometry, Univ. of Washington, Seattle, July, 1995.
- American Mathematical Society meeting 892, New York, April 1994.
Presentation: Analytic and geometric isoperimetric inequalities.
- Summer Geometry Institute,
Park City, Utah. July, 1992.
- University of South Alamaba, departmental colloquium talks.
1. Sierpinski Pedal Triangles, Nov. 9, 2000.
2. Dynamical Systems in Classical Geometry, Nov. 11, 1999.
3. Optimization of Schur-Convex Functions, Jan. 15, 1998.
4. Generalized Power Means and Their Applications, Nov. 1996.
5. Schur-Convex Functions and Isoperimetric Inequalities, Nov. 1995.
6. Newman's Theorem, Transformation Groups, and Hilbert's Fifth Problem, Fall 1992.
- University of South Mississippi, invited talks.
1. Discrete Analytic and Geometric Inequalities, Nov. 15, 2001.
2. Sierpinski Pedal Triangles, Sept. 28, 2000.
3. Dynamical Systems in Classical Geometry, Jan. 28, 2000,
Aadressed to USM Scientific Computing PH.D program Seminar.
The same talk is presented to the Math dept at USM on March 16, 2000.
4. Optimization of Schur-Convex Functions, March, 1998.
5. Generalized Power Means and Their Applications, Nov. 1996.
6. Calculus and Isoperimetric Inequalities, March 1996.
7. Bonnesen-Style Inequalities for Convex Polygons, April 1996.
- Wellesley College, invited talk, 1990,
First eigenvalue and volume estimates for compact spherical minimal submanifolds
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of South Alabama
Mobile, Alabama 36688
Business telephone: (251)-460-6264
Click here to email me