The University of South Alabama recently dedicated the Alfred and Lucile Delchamps Archaeology Building, which will serve as a public museum of ancient artifacts and a teaching and research center as home of the USA Center for Archaeological Studies.
The new building will be home to a cache of historical artifacts and will be open to the public. All area fourth-graders will visit the building as part of their Alabama history curriculum. The University’s archaeological research and public service has resulted in the acquisition of more than one million artifacts.
The modern, two-story facility features space for archaeology research and teaching, as well as a display hall and gallery. The display area will be used for exhibits from the University’s art and natural history collections, as well as a venue for traveling exhibitions from other institutions. It will be used to preserve significant archaeological and historical artifacts, as well as display them to the public. The grounds also include a collection of historically significant native Alabama plants.
The Alfred and Lucile Delchamps Archaeology Building was created in part through the generosity of the Delchamps family through an estate gift. Mr. Delchamps, along with his brother, Oliver, opened a small downtown Mobile grocery store in 1921. Their venture developed into the first supermarket-sized grocery retail chain in Alabama and eventually expanded to Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi.
The University of South Alabama also wants to thankfully acknowledge the contributors who made the Alfred and Lucile Delchamps Archaeology Building possible:
- Alfred and Lucile Delchamps
- The Crampton Trust
- The Hearin-Chandler Foundation
- The J.L. Bedsole Foundation
- White Smith Land Company Inc.
- Mr. and Mrs. M. Palmer Bedsole, Jr.
- Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas H. Holmes, Jr.
- USA National Alumni Association
The Alfred and Lucile Delchamps Archaeology Building was designed by Walcott Adams Verneuille Architects and built by Bayshore Construction Co.