University of South Alabama faculty and staff contributed a record $343,670 to Campaign USA, the University’s first comprehensive fund-raising campaign that seeks to raise $75 million for USA programs, faculty, students and construction over three years.
USA received gifts from 64 percent of its employees, an 11 percent increase in participation over last year. Some 2,743 participated in the eight-week campaign, according to Dr. Joseph F. Busta Jr., vice president for development and alumni relations.
This year USA faculty and staff contributed $227,106, and the University matched gifts given to endowments with an additional $116,564. Last year’s total was $292,659, including matching funds.
President Gordon Moulton told the employee campaign volunteers at the luncheon at the Waterman Globe in the Mitchell Center that their participation and support of the University was vital to its success.
“You really are making a difference, not only with this internal campaign, but with our face to the community when we are out there promoting the University,” he said. “It sends a message to the community that we believe in ourselves, in what we do, and in the programs we have on this campus.”
The 2007 campaign was led by Dr. Thomas Wells, dean of the School of Continuing Education and Special Programs, and Beth Anderson, administrator of USA Medical Center.
“Annual giving through our employee faculty/staff campaign plays an integral role in our ability to further education, research, service, health care and economic development,” said Dr. Busta. “It is an investment in the future of our institution with inestimable returns to our faculty, staff, students, and the patients we serve.”
Gaynell Glaude, a custodial worker in the maintenance department, won a digital camera through a drawing of USA employees that participated in the campaign or returned the cards to their departmental representatives.
The 2007 Faculty/Staff Annual Fund Campaign is part of Campaign USA, which was launched in March 2006 and, to date, has raised $51.6 million. The Campaign USA Leadership team is comprised of local civic, business and national leaders, many of whom are alumni. Jim Yance, chairman of Campaign USA, thanked the employee volunteers and discussed the importance of the employee campaign to Campaign USA.
Campaign USA will enrich all aspects of USA, from its academic colleges and schools to its hospitals, athletic programs, libraries and campuses. The money raised will be used to fund such items as undergraduate and graduate scholarships, professorships, classroom and laboratory equipment, and health care innovations. Funds will also be used for capital enhancements to USA’s track and tennis programs, a University archives building, and campus plaza and bell tower.
For information on Campaign USA, go to www.campaignusaleadership.com or call (251) 460-7032.
Departments with 100 percent participation:
- Academic Affairs
- Athletic Administration
- Auxiliary Enterprises Director’s Office
- Baldwin County Campus
- Brookley Center Administration
- Campus Recreation
- Center for Continuing Education and Conference Services
- Children’s and Women’s Hospital Administration
- Children’s and Women’s Hospital Security and Grounds
- Children’s and Women’s Hospital Supply Processing Distribution
- College of Allied Health Professions Cardiorespiratory Care
- College of Allied Health Professions Physician Assistant Studies
- College of Arts and Sciences Music Department
- College of Engineering Chemical Engineering Department
- College of Engineering Civil Engineering Department
- College of Engineering Dean’s Office
- College of Engineering Mechanical Engineering
- College of Medicine Physiology Department
- College of Nursing Adult Health Nursing
- College of Nursing Baldwin County Nursing Program
- College of Nursing Community/Mental Health Nursing
- College of Nursing Maternal/Child Health Nursing
- Computer Services Health Services Foundation
- Counseling Office
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Graduate School
- Hospital Accounting
- Internal Audit
- Mitchell Cancer Institute Clinical Trials
- Office of Admissions
- Office of Student Orientation
- Office of Veterans Affairs
- President’s Office
- Public Relations
- Publication Services
- Registrar’s Office
- School of Computer and Information Sciences
- School of Continuing Education Developmental Studies Program
- School of Continuing Education Emergency Medical Services Training
- School of Continuing Education English as a Second Language
- Student Center Operations
- University Attorney’s Office
- USA Medical Center Infection Control/Employee Health
- USA Medical Center Social Services
- USA Medical Center Staff Development
- USA Medical Center Transplant Center
The University of South Alabama
Since its founding in 1963, the University of South Alabama has been one of Alabama’s fastest growing universities, currently enrolling more than 13,300 students in a wide range of academic programs in Allied Health Professions, Arts and Sciences, Mitchell College of Business, Computer and Information Sciences, Continuing Education and Special Programs, Education, Engineering, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. The University has awarded 60,000 degrees.
In addition to teaching and research, USA is one of the largest health care providers in the Mobile region, with its faculty physicians and two hospitals – Children’s & Women’s and USA Medical Center – involved in more than a quarter million patient encounters annually.