The University of South Alabama will celebrate Homecoming 2008 on Saturday, Feb. 16, with a public groundbreaking ceremony and fireworks show for the University’s new Moulton Tower and Alumni Plaza. The 6 p.m. event will take place between the Lady Jags and Jaguar Men’s basketball games against Florida Atlantic University.
The Moulton Tower and Alumni Plaza will create a landmark in the center of USA’s main campus. The plan includes architectural elements designed to honor the University’s history and encourage the facility’s incorporation into campus life and celebrations.
“The University of South Alabama Moulton Tower will be a symbol of unity for our faculty, staff, students, alumni and supporters, as well as an important icon reflecting both the growing strength of the University and the ever-increasing positive impact USA is having each day on the people it serves,” said USA President Gordon Moulton. “The Moulton Tower will become a campus focal point that students and alumni can use for important moments and significant events in their lives.”
During the Homecoming basketball games, the University will be honoring with complimentary tickets special guests including: all USA alumni; kindergarten through 12th grade students, teachers and administrators from Mobile and Baldwin counties and all other area counties; and, all USA students and employees. Tickets are available for the Lady Jags game at 4 p.m. and the Jaguar Men’s game at 7 p.m. Each honored guest is eligible for up to 10 complimentary tickets. (Please see below for ticket details.)
The Moulton Tower and Alumni Plaza groundbreaking ceremony at 6 p.m. will include performances by USA’s pep band, cheerleaders and dance team. The event will feature the unveiling of a 30-foot-tall rendering of the Moulton Tower. Once completed, the new tower will stand more than 130 feet high at a site just west of the Mitchell Center and the Jaguar sculpture. Hundreds of balloons will be lifted to 130 feet in order to illustrate the height of the Moulton Tower. A free fireworks show will cap off the festivities.
The project includes arbors, water gardens, and the beautiful 130-foot clock tower, which will feature an electronic bell carillon. In addition, an open-sided, multi-purpose activity space under the tower will seat 142. An open-air amphitheater will encourage outdoor classes and performances. Walls of Honor underneath the tower will list key individuals who have led the University including: University presidents; Board of Trustees chairs; National Alumni Association presidents; Student Government Association presidents; and Faculty Senate chairs. All lifetime members of the USA National Alumni Association will also have their names listed on one of the historic walls.
Other Homecoming Activities:
The USA National Alumni Association also will sponsor a Jag 5K Run at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 16, on campus. The event is open to the public. For more information, call (251) 460-7084. Registration forms are available at McCoy Outdoor Company, 3498 Spring Hill Avenue, until noon on Thursday, Feb. 14.
An alumni reunion reception will be held at 5:15 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 16, at Alumni Hall. For reservations, call (251) 460-7084 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The celebrated reunion classes for this Homecoming are: 1968, 1973, 1978, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003 and 2008.
Ticket and Parking Details:
• Free USA Football T-shirts will be given away at the games. The first 300 people at the Lady Jags game will get free shirts, as will the first 1,000 at the Jaguar Men’s game.
• All Homecoming events are free and open to the public except the basketball games..
• Because record crowds are expected for the games, tickets should be picked up early. Tickets may be purchased at the Mitchell Center ticket office from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. General admission to the Lady Jags games is $5 for adults and $3 for teenagers and senior citizens. Children 12 and under are admitted free. At the Jaguar Men’s games, tickets are $12 on the lower level and $5 on the upper level, with $3 tickets for students ages 6-17. Children 5 and under are free.
• Each honored guest is eligible for up to 10 complimentary tickets. Tickets for larger groups of honored guests are available by calling the USA Office of Public Relations at (251) 460-6211. Guests can pick up their complimentary tickets early at the Mitchell Center ticket office weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. or at Alumni Hall from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Or, the tickets can be picked up at the Mitchell Center ticket office just prior to the game.
• Plan to arrive on campus one hour before the events as the Mitchell Center is expecting one of the largest crowds in history.
• The best parking is located by the Mitchell College of Business or just west of the College of Engineering. For a printable parking map, go to www.southalabama.edu/usamaps/images/gamedaymap.jpg. JagTran will be in operation for all games.
• A USA alumnus includes anyone who has ever attended USA in any capacity, whether or not he or she earned a degree. An alumnus should give his or her name and years attended to the attendant at the ticket window.
• Kindergarten through 12th grade students, teachers and administrators from Mobile, Baldwin and all other area counties can get tickets by identifying themselves to the ticket attendant.
• USA employees and students can get tickets by showing an ID card, pay stub, name tag, business card, or by wearing a uniform. Employee tickets are now available at the USA Human Resources offices on campus, at the Medical Center or at Children's and Women's Hospital.
Summary of USA Homecoming Events on Saturday, Feb. 16:
• 8 a.m.: Jag 5K Run
• 4 p.m.: Lady Jags vs. Florida Atlantic at the Mitchell Center
• 5:15 p.m.: Alumni Reception for celebrated classes at Alumni Hall
• 6 p.m.: Moulton Tower and Alumni Plaza groundbreaking ceremony and public fireworks show to be held just west of the Jaguar sculpture at the Mitchell Center
• 7 p.m.: Jaguar Men vs. Florida Atlantic at the Mitchell Center
For more information about ticket promotions or Homecoming events, contact the USA Office of Public Relations at (251) 460-6211.
For a Homecoming schedule and JagRun application form, click here. (PDF Document)