The Executive Council is responsible for upholding the SGA Constitution, carrying out the policies of the SGA, and enforcing the laws of the SGA. The officers of the Executive Council are President, Vice President, and Treasurer, each with his or her respective function.
The Executive Council formulates the semester budget and presents it to the Senate for approval, as well as attends to other SGA matters under their authority.
The executive officers hold daily office hours and meet weekly at various times in the SGA office. As a student, you are invited to meet with your officers any time to share opinions and ideas.
- President: Chief executive officer of the SGA and is responsible for all aspects of student governance.
- Vice President: Serves as president of the Student Senate and is responsible for overseeing all legislative processes of student government as well as managing all SGA committees.
- Treasurer: Responsible for managing the SGA budget and all funds allocated to student organizations.
- Attorney General: Ensures that all laws and rules of the SGA are enforced and acts as the prosecutor for SGA. In addition, the Attorney General works with the Governmental Affairs Committee to promote STARS & the Higher Education Partnership activities.
The Judicial Branch is comprised of the Chief Justice, Attorney General, and eight Associate Justices, known as the Supreme Court. The Judicial Branch of the SGA is responsible for interpreting the SGA Constitution and all laws passed by the Student Senate. In addition, the Supreme Court hears student disciplinary cases as requested by the Dean of Students, or his or her representatives. The Chief Justice, presides over the Supreme Court. The eight Associate Justices are appointed by the President, with Senate Approval.
- Chief Justice: Presides over the Student Supreme Court and the University Traffic and Parking Committee. In addition, the Chief Justice is responsible for protecting the rights of the students and upholding the judicial processes of SGA.
The Legislative Branch of the SGA is the Student Senate. The Senate formulates SGA policy in accordance with the constitution and makes the laws of the SGA. In addition the Senate provides a forum for the discussion of university-wide issues ever Monday night at 8:00 PM in the Student Center Ballroom.
SGA Elections are held during Spring Semester every year. The SGA Senate is composed of students elected from every college and division on the basis of the percentage of students enrolled in each respectively. The Senate elects a President Pro-Tem from within its membership who supervises the senate committees and presides over the Senate in the absence of the Vice President. Senators are required to participate in at least one special committee and may also participate in a standing committee.