Biology Assignment (Amy Prendergast)
Assignment: Use Biological Abstracts database to find an article on a topic such as cloning or biological diversity. Compare this article to a website found with a search engine.
- Go to the University Library’s web site (http://library.southalabama.edu/)
- Click on Articles, Indexes, Databases
- Under Indexes/Databases Listed by Title scroll down to Biological Abstracts
- Start search using keywords.
- Pick an article that looks good from the results and look at the complete record to see the descriptors/subject headings.
- Choose appropriate descriptors, go back to Search, and use descriptors to narrow search.
- Choose an available article from the results. To check if an article is available, if there is a “Link to” link, click it. Otherwise, click on “Check Full-text Journal List for availability.”
- Write a brief annotation, noting the date of article, author affiliation if any, and any other relevant information. Indicate how available - full text, or in Library print or microform holdings.
- Use an Internet search engine like Google to find a website using the same descriptors/subject headings.
- Choose a website and write a brief annotation.
- Compare the two with regard to authors (address or other biographical info, affiliation, qualifications), currency of publication/updating, and bibliography or other resource information given.