Article I: The Establishment
Section 1. The organization shall be recognized as the Vietnamese
Student Association (VSA) of University of South Alabama.
Section 2. The times, places and manners of meetings shall be
decided by the Board of Officers.
Article II: The Purpose
The Vietnamese Student Association establish this Constitution to
introduce the Vietnamese culture through the following aspects:
(1) To build relations with campus culture organizations and other
student groups at the University.
(2) To welcome incoming Vietnamese students and other minority students
and assist in their transition to the University life.
(3) To provide opportunities for students to interact with each other
and share their cultural experiences with the University and the
(4) To establish communication with Vietnamese organizations at other
Article III: Membership
Section 1. The Vietnamese Student Association shall be composed
of members who show an interest in the Vietnamese culture.
Section 2. Membership shall be open to all students, staff, or
faculty in the University or community.
(1) Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 (GPA below 2.5 will be put
on probation and cannot participate in events.
(2). Non-Student must abide by normal school standards where applicable.
Section 3. Members must attend at least 3/4 of the meetings and
actively participate in at least 2 events.
Article IV : The Board of Officers
Section 1. The Board of Officers shall consist of President,
Co-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and CISO representative.
Section 2. All officers serve for a term of one academic year.
Each officer may run for re-election.
Section 3. Office vacancy may be filled by a temporarily
designated member of the Vietnamese Student Association, nominated by
members. This temporarily designated appointee would serve in the vacant
until an election can be held for that particular office.
Section 4. Each officer shall attend all meetings. If an officer
is unable to attend a scheduled meeting, he or she must notify the other
officers immediately. Each officer may not miss more than two,
consecutive meetings without an excuse deemed reasonable by two-thirds
vote of the other officers.
Section 5. Each officer shall perform duties as specified in
Sections 6 through 14, and other such duties as pertain to the office.
Section 6. The President and Co-President shall have the power:
(1) To serve as chief executive officer and supervise all VSA functions.
(2) To schedule meetings and preside at these meetings.
(3) To break tie votes.
(4) To appoint ad hoc committees at his or her discretion.
(5) To maintain relations with Vietnamese organizations at other
(6) To recommend considerations of VSA activities as well as
participation in campus-wide activities.
(7) To review budget with the Treasurer and other officers if necessary.
(8) To appoint a new member to the Board of Officers in case of the
removal of either the Secretary, Treasurer.
(9) To attend CISO meetings and represent VSA interests.
(10) To report to VSA members of CISO activities.
(11) To organize social activities during each semester.
(12) To plan extra-curricular activities.
(13) To supervise activities to welcome new VSA members.
Section 7. The Secretary shall have the power:
(1) To record the minutes of every meeting.
(2) To keep a record of attendance at each meeting.
(3) To contact and notify VSA members of all meetings and activities.
(4) To maintain and make available a directory that lists all VSA
Section 8. The Treasurer shall have the power:
(1) To maintain financial records of VSA transactions.
(2) To notify the President and Co-President of the VSA financial status
(3) To collect dues and fees.
(4) To prepare the budget proposal to be submitted at the time deemed
necessary by regulations.
(5) To manage the VSA account at the Students Activities of Account and
inform the President of any transaction.
Section 9. The CISO Representative shall have the power:
(1) To attend mandatory CISO meetings.
(2) To inform VSA members of activities and events that pertain to
(3) To makes connections with the Vietnamese Students Association and
Section 10. No person except a VSA member may be eligible to the
Board of Officers.
Section 11. An officer shall be removed from the Board of
Officers by a three-fourths vote of the active membership. The active
membership shall be composed of members described in Article III,
Article V: Elections
Section 1. The Board of Officers shall be elected at the next to
the last meeting of the spring semester to a term of one year, and shall
serve until their successors have been duly elected.
Section 2. Nominations for each office shall be announced at the
meeting preceding to next to the last meeting. Nominations may remain
open until the day of elections.
Section 3. Each officer shall be nominated and elected in the
order that they are listed in Article IV, Sections 5-11.
Section 4. A majority of the voting members must be present in
order to hold an election. The President shall have the power to arrange
another meeting, if necessary, where there shall be a majority of voting
members to hold elections.
Section 5. Elections shall be done by secret ballot or by show of
Section 6. A candidate for an office must receive a majority vote
in order to be elected. In the event that no candidate receives a
majority vote on the first ballot, the candidate having the least number
of votes shall be dropped and a second ballot shall be taken. The
procedure shall be repeated if necessary until a candidate receives a
Article VI: Amendments
Any amendments to the Constitution shall be adopted by a majority vote.
A written notice of the proposed amendment shall have been given at
least two weeks prior to a meeting. There shall be no voting by proxy.
All such amendments shall become effective immediately, pending approval
by the Student Association.
Article VII: Ratification
The Constitution of the Vietnamese Student Association has been ratified
by a majority vote of the VSA members on August, 2005.