Creative Writing Concentration
"And for heaven's sake, publish nothing before you are thirty."
- Virginia Woolf, "A Letter to a Young Poet" (1932)
To major in English with a Concentration in Creative Writing, all requirements for the English major must be met. In addition, CW students must take:
- EH 200, EH 391, and EH 395. (9 credit hours)
- At least one 400-level CW course. (3 credit hours)
- One additional CW course. (3 credit hours)
The five courses required for a Concentration in Creative Writing simultaneously count towards the English major's six-course elective requirement.
The department's creative writing courses are as follow; required courses are marked with an asterisk:
- EH 200: Introduction to Creative Writing*
- EH 391: Fiction Writing: Crafting the Story*
- EH 393: Creative Nonfiction Writing
- EH 395: Poetry Writing: Spoken Word and Other Forms*
- EH 483: Advanced Fiction Writing: Forms and Workshop
- EH 485: Advanced Poetry Writing: The Contemporary Lyric
- EH 487: Screenwriting for Film
- EH 488: Screenwriting for Television
- EH 497: Adv. Creative Nonfiction Writing
Our Creative Writing Faculty
Frye Gaillard | USA Writer in Residence
Specializes in Southern culture and history.
HUMB 272 | 460-7952 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Busby Parker | Part-time Faculty in Creative Writing
Specializes in creative writing and the processes of contemporary publishing.
Charlotte Pence | Assistant Professor of Creative Writing
Director of Creative Writing and Director of the Stokes Center for Creative Writing.
Specializes in poetry and creative nonfiction.
HUMB 277 | 460-6149 | email@example.com
Nathan Poole | Assistant Professor of Creative Writing
Specializes in fiction.
HUMB 256 | 460-7417 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Adam Prince | Stokes Visiting Writer
Specializes in fiction and screenwriting.
HUMB 277 | 460-6149 | email@example.com