Serving Southern Hospitality™ Certification
Serving Southern Hospitality™: Customer Service Excellence
Course content by Dr. Chip Bell
Certified Trainer sponsored by Scarlet Pearl Casino Resort: Maria Salter, Training Manager, Scarlet Pearl Casino Resort, D'Iberville, Mississippi
Tuesday, March 10, 2020
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Jefferson-Davis Campus, Hospitality and Resort Management Center, 2226 Switzer Rd. Gulfport, MS 39507.
$125 per participant (plus Eventbrite fees)
- USA Certificate of Completion
- Serving Southern Hospitality™: Customer Service Excellence workbook
- An autographed copy of Kaleidoscope by Dr. Chip Bell
- Snacks and light refreshments
Limited seating: 30 participants
Participants in this foundational course will learn the six core competencies hardwired into the expression of service delivered with “Southern Hospitality.” They reflect the demonstration of a set of skills and practices performed with a particular style and manner.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
Lesson 1: CHARMING: Guests Remember How You Make Them Feel
- Learn the reasons value unique (service with ingenuity) trumps value added (service that takes what guests expect and merely adds more).
- Discover helpful lens through which to see opportunities for captivating surprise.
- Learn techniques for setting the stage for distinctive experiences for guests.
- Gain perspectives on how to add warmth to surprise and sincerity to delight.
Lesson 2: GRACEFUL: Make Guests Feel Like Royalty
- Understand the power and payoff of helping guests feel special in the way they are served.
- Learn techniques for transforming a guest into one who becomes a strong advocate for you as well as your organization.
- Appreciate the influence sincere caring has on the disposition and memory of your guests.
- Learn techniques for communicating the type of passion and enthusiasm that drives away spirit leeches (people whose attitudes bring pessimism).
Lesson 3: HELPFUL: The Infusion of Kindness into Service
- Gain an appreciation for the power of your helper role, attending to the needs of your guests, especially when their experience is less than expected.
- Learn techniques for spotting opportunities to be a guest caretaker.
- Develop competence in removing the anxiety in guest experiences.
- Gain perspectives in ways to see opportunities for elevating the ease and comfort of all guest experiences.
Lesson 4: CURIOUS: A Contact Sport for Mutual Learning
- Gain a new understanding regarding the importance of dramatic listening.
- Learn specific techniques for improving your skill as a great listener.
- Understand techniques for creating a special, welcoming experience for your guests.
- Acquire tools for bringing enthusiasm and energy to all guest encounters.
Lesson 5: SENSORY: Decorating with the Spice of Service
- Learn unique but practical ways to ramp up the sensory experience of hospitality service.
- Gain skills in being a sensory auditor of your guests’ experiences by finding opportunities (and barriers) that communicate favorably (or unfavorably) to the guests subconscious.
- Learn approaches to ramping up the fun and gaiety in guest experiences.
- Gain the confidence to add adventure and humor to guest interactions.
Lesson 6: HONORABLE: Serving with a Code
- Learn ways to tie a mission to everyday actions that ensure congruence and consistency to guests’ experiences.
- Gain skills in effectively interacting, especially when under the pressure of an interpersonal conflict situation.
- Learn how to examine a guest relationship through the lens of trust.
- Gain valuable techniques for recognizing potential threats to guest trust and broken
Originally from Southern California, Maria is a Veteran of the United States Air Force. She met and married her husband Brian while they were both stationed in San Vito de Normani, Italy. Married for over 31 years, the couple has two (2) sons, Zachary & Logan whom they love very much.
In 2009 Maria achieved a goal she never imagined she could and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Sport Coaching and Education from The University of Southern Mississippi. A proud Golden Eagle, Maria kept going and completed a Master of Science in Workforce Training & Development through The University of Southern Mississippi’s Department of Human Capital Development in 2011. In between, and after, Maria has had a thirst for knowledge and continues to pursue certifications to include but not limited to, Certified Training Professional – USM HCD; Certified Serving Southern Hospitality Trainer – Chip Bell; Certified Taking Flight with DISC Trainer – Taking Flight with DISC; Certified CARE (Controlling Alcohol Risks Effectively) Trainer – American Hospitality & Lodging Educational Institute; a certification in Strategic Workforce Planning through the Human Capital Institute; along with many others.
Her career in Human Resources and experience in dealing with people from all different cultures and backgrounds makes Maria a well-versed hospitality professional. Having worked in various roles from the front line to management through Human Resources in the hospitality and gaming industry since 1995, Maria is the Training Manager responsible for all learning and development program with the Scarlet Pearl Casino Resort, where her standards of service ensure her guests (internal and external) are well cared for.
When she is not at work, Maria is an active volunteer in her community. She has been on the Board of Directors with the Dixie Girls Softball as well as a T-Ball coach in Bay St. Louis for 3 years, is a graduate of the Leadership Hancock County Class of 2015/2016, serves on the Leadership Hancock County Steering Committee, is a CASA Volunteer, and has a seat on the Board of Directors for the Hancock County Affiliate of Habitat for Humanity. Maria is also a Licensed Realtor in the State of MS and enjoys working with first time home buyers.
No matter how busy she is she always finds time to hang out with her three (3) amazing guys and their fur babies!