Admission Requirements for RN-BSN/MSN
The College of Nursing Admissions Committee and the Dean of the College select applicants best qualified for and most likely to succeed in the study of nursing. Students are admitted without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, or qualified disability. Students must be in good standing with all academic institutions/nursing programs that they have attended in order to be admitted to the BSN program.
Students applying for the RN-BSN/MSN Pathway must have completed all eighteen (18) undergraduate prerequisite courses prior to applying to the RN to BSN Professional Component. These 59 semester hours of college credit may be completed in your hometown area, at an accredited institution and transferred to this University.
State Board of Nursing Authorizations
Each State Board of Nursing has requirements for online programs. Due to these requirements, we are not accepting nursing applications from South Dakota and New York at this time.
- Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States of America.
- Completion of an accredited diploma or associate degree in nursing and a current registered nurse licensure with no restriction. Restrictions include participation in voluntary discipline programs.
- Complete all eighteen (18) required prerequisite courses at a regionally accredited school. These 59 credit hours of general education courses are in addition to the nursing courses completed to become a Registered Nurse.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all academic course work completed at all institutions, including repeated courses.
- Minimum grade of “C” in all pre-requisite courses.
- Minimum University GPA of 3.0.
- Submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to NursingCAS
- Primary Application in NursingCAS VERIFIED prior to Application Deadline.
- Supplemental Application submitted to USA with a $50 fee by the deadline.
- Admission will be contingent on a negative drug screen, an acceptable background check, and completion of all Medical Records in CastleBranch. Students are responsible for costs related to these requirements.
- Students are responsible for all costs related to monitoring/proctoring tests and identity authentication when required by a course.
Registered Nurses seeking a BSN degree who do NOT meet the above specific academic requirement of an overall GPA of 3.0 should consider the Online RN-BSN Pathway offered by the USA College of Nursing, to obtain the BSN.
- Fall Semester Deadline is March 15
- Spring Semester Deadline is July 15
- Summer Admission - Deadline is January 15
- Late Applications are accepted, based on space availability
Applicants to the Online RN to BSN Pathway are required to complete both a Primary Application and a Supplemental Application. Applicants are NOT required to submit an Application for General Admission to the USA Office of Admissions.
The Primary Application is completed through The Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS). Applicants are responsible for any fees required by NursingCAS for their services.
The purpose of the Primary Application is to collect official transcripts. Applicants must request official transcripts from ALL college and university studies, regardless of the outcome of enrollment. Include all undergraduate, graduate, and professional institutions you have attended, even if the courses were not required for admission to a nursing program or were transferred to another institution. Include any non-degree programs (e.g., summer school) and foreign institutions attended, whether or not the coursework was transferred to a U.S. institution or resulted in a degree. Enter each institution only once, regardless of the number of degrees or gaps in the date of attendance.
A transcript is ONLY considered official if it is sent directly from the college or university to NursingCAS. These documents become the property of the NursingCAS and will not be returned to the applicant. We recommend transcripts be ordered two months before the deadline and that the applicant confirm receipt of these transcripts one month before the deadline.
Applicants who are finishing a prerequisite requirements between the application deadline and the beginning of the semester for which they are applying are required to send a transcript to NursingCAS in time to meet the application deadline and then, if accepted, they are required to send an official transcript to the University of South Alabama Admissions Office showing the final grades for courses completed prior to beginning the RN-BSN Pathway.
Status of NursingCAS Application will change from Received, to Complete, then Verified.
- Received status means NursingCAS has received your application but there is something missing (transcript, application fee).
- Complete status means NursingCAS has received all documents necessary to process your application.
- Verified status means NursingCAS has verified the information you entered into the application with the transcripts they received and they have calculated your undergraduate grade-point averages as appropriate.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that NursingCAS receives all transcripts, application fee, and completed application one month before the deadline for the semester for which they are applying in order for their application to reach the verified status by the application deadline.
- Complete all sections of the document required by NursingCAS.
- High School transcripts are not required for entrance into our RN-BSN program.
- The only applicants who are required to complete the TEST section are International applicants who have been instructed by our Office of International Services to submit their TOEFL scores.
- Please complete all information required under Professional Experience AND attach a typed curriculum vitae (CV) or resume which denotes all RN experience, employment history, certifications, publications, etc. Please be as thorough as possible, as this information will be reviewed intensely by the Admissions Committee.
- Letters of reference are not required for admission to our programs.
- Privacy Statement - You are required to complete the Advisor Release Section and Certification and Verification Statement of this section.
- Please select the RN-BSN Designation if you are a Registered Nurse and only want to complete the requirements for the BSN degree.
The Supplemental Application is the application which is sent directly to the College of Nursing at the University of South Alabama.
- The Supplemental Application is submitted by mail to the BSN Office at the USA College of Nursing. Please download the application and save it to your computer. Select Fill & Sign at the top right and then select Add Text. You may then fill out the application electronically before you save, print, and sign it.
- Please note that the Supplemental Application should be completed AFTER you have completed your NursingCAS application and it has moved through the following stages: received, complete, then VERIFIED. Once it is verified you may complete the Supplemental Application.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their completed Supplemental Application is mailed to the College of Nursing in time for it to reach our office by the deadline for the semester for which they are applying.
- This application requires a non-refundable processing fee of $50.00, made payable to USA College of Nursing.
- Applications should be addressed to:
University of South Alabama
College of Nursing
Health Sciences Building, Room 3068
5721 USA North Drive
Mobile, Alabama 36688-0002