Online RN-BSN and Online RN-BSN/MSN Application Procedures
Application Deadlines for RN to BSN Pathway
Applications for the RN – BSN Pathway are received on a space available basis. The following deadlines are tentative for students to plan for submission of their documentation.
- Fall Admission – March 15th
- Spring Admission – July 15th
- Summer Admission – January 15th
RN-BSN Application Procedures
Applicants to the Online RN to BSN Pathway are required to complete both a Primary Application and a Supplemental Application. Applicants are NOT required to submit an Application for General Admission to the USA Office of Admissions.
RN to BSN students are admitted each fall, spring, and summer semester. Applicants are accepted during the time periods listed above. Applicants are required to complete both a Primary Application and a Supplemental Application.
RN to BSN applicants are required to complete two applications - Primary and Supplemental. First, complete the Primary Application in NursingCAS, then complete the Supplemental Application. It is very important to complete the Primary Application first so that it moves through the following stages: received, complete then VERIFIED. Once it is verified you may complete the Supplemental Application.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their completed Supplemental Application is submitted by the deadline for the semester for which they are applying. Only completed applications will be considered for acceptance.
Step 1 Primary Application
The Primary Application is completed through The Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS). Applicants are responsible for any fees required by NursingCAS for their services.
The primary purpose of the Primary Application is to collect official transcripts. Applicants must request official transcripts from ALL college and university studies, regardless of the outcome of enrollment. Include all undergraduate, graduate, and professional institutions you have attended, even if the courses were not required for admission to a nursing program or were transferred to another institution. Include any non-degree programs (e.g., summer school) and foreign institutions attended, whether or not the coursework was transferred to a U.S. institution or resulted in a degree. Enter each institution only once, regardless of the number of degrees or gaps in the date of attendance. Please check with your degree conferring University to confirm they are regionally accredited before applying.
A transcript is ONLY considered official if it is sent directly from the college or university to NursingCAS. These documents become the property of the NursingCAS and will not be returned to the applicant. We recommend transcripts be ordered two months before the deadline and that the applicant confirm receipt of these transcripts one month before the deadline.
Applicants who are finishing an Associate Degree in Nursing between the application
deadline and the beginning of the semester for which they are applying are required
to send a transcript to NursingCAS in time to meet the application deadline and then,
if accepted, they are required to send an official degree-conferred transcript to
NursingCAS Application Status changes status from In-Progress, to Received to Complete then Verified.
In-Progress - NursingCAS will send you a confirmation email acknowledging that your application was submitted. Note that submitting does not mean your application is being reviewed by your programs. Depending on what materials were already received, submitting changes your application status from “In-Progress” to “Received” or “Complete.”
Complete - In general, an application is complete when:
- All official transcripts have been received and posted to your application.
- Your application fee payment was submitted and marked as received.
- You submitted your application and received an email confirming it was successfully submitted.
- Your application Program Status is “Complete.”
Verification - Once all of your required application materials are received, your application's status changes to Complete and your application is placed in line to be verified. Verifications occur in chronological order and on average take two weeks to complete. Once your application is verified, you will receive a notification and your application's status will change to Verified.
Complete all sections of the document required by NursingCAS.
- High School transcripts are not required for entrance into our undergraduate program.
- The only applicants who are required to complete the TEST section are International applicants who have been instructed by our Office of International Services to submit their TOEFL scores.
- Please complete all information required under Professional Experience AND attach a typed curriculum vitae (CV) or resume which denotes all RN experience, employment history, certifications, publications, etc. Please be as thorough as possible, as this information will be reviewed intensely by the Undergraduate Admissions Committee.
- Letters of reference are not required for admission to our programs.
- The Personal Goal Statement will act as the writing sample for your application. This writing assignment will be reviewed by the Undergraduate Admissions Committee. Please discuss your educational and professional goals, short term and long term, and address how earning your degree will help you reach these goals. The Personal Goal Statement should be a minimum of 350 words. Please use APA formatting when writing your Personal Goal Statement.
- Privacy Statement - You are required to complete the Advisor Release Section and Certification and Verification Statement of this section.
- RN to BSN Pathway is specifically designed for Registered Nurses with a current RN license seeking a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- RN to BSN/MSN Pathway is specifically designed for Registered Nurses with a current RN license seeking a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and desiring to continue to pursue their Master of Science in Nursing degree upon completion of the BSN.
Only those applicants who comply with all requirements for the Primary Application Instructions listed above will be considered for admission.
Step 2 Supplemental Application
The Supplemental Application is the application which is submitted directly to the College of Nursing at the University of South Alabama.
- The Supplemental Application is submitted electronically to the BSN Office at the USA College of Nursing.
- Please note that the Supplemental Application should be completed AFTER you have completed your NursingCAS application and it has moved through the following stages: received, complete, then VERIFIED. Once it is verified you may submit the Supplemental Application.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their completed Supplemental Application is submitted to the College of Nursing by the deadline for the semester for which they are applying.
- This application requires a non-refundable processing fee of $50.00. A Credit Card or Debit Card is the required form of payment for the $50 processing fee.
Once a student earns the BSN degree in the RN-BSN/MSN Program at USA, they are required to apply for admission to the MSN portion of the program. Please email email@example.com prior to the application deadline to receive instructions to apply as a RN-BSN/MSN student. A special code will be sent to you to waive the application fee.
Students may immediately begin the specialty component of the MSN curriculum to prepare for a career in Informatics, Nursing Administration, as a Clinical Nurse Leader, or Clinical Nurse Specialist in Adult/Gerontological nursing. Students who wish to pursue nurse practitioner preparation must obtain a minimum of 2 years of clinical experience before beginning clinical nurse practitioner specialty courses and have a competitive overall undergraduate GPA to compete for a seat in the NP specialty they select. Courses for the specialty component of the curriculum are offered online. Clinical requirements are completed in faculty-facilitated preceptorships.