Arka Pandit, Ph.D.
Motivated by the need for sustainability and resilience in an increasingly uncertain world, my primary research interest encompasses two of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: “Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable” and “Ensure access to water and sanitation for all”. To progress towards achieving the aforementioned research goals, my research focuses on:
- development of integrated adaptable urban infrastructure systems for sustainability and resilience optimization at the systems level,
- development of sustainable and novel materials and technologies to remove and recover nutrients from point and non-point sources, and
- sustainable and resilient water-wastewater-stormwater systems that ensures equitable access across the socio-econo-demographical divide.
B.S Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Engineeing, Science and Technology, Shibpore, India
1. Chai, R.‡, Pandit, A., (2018) “Managing the Influx of Nutrients to Coastal Areas from Non-Point Sources at the Watershed Scale” Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology (Under Review)
2. Pandit, A., Crittenden, J.C. (2018) “Quantifying Full Spectrum Resilience of Urban Water Systems: A Framework” Water Resources Management (Under Review)
3. Pandit, A., DesRoches, R., Rix, G.J., Crittenden, J.C. (2018) “The SuRe (Sustainable and Resilient) Zone of Urban Infrastructure System (UIS) Planning & Design” Journal of Infrastructure Systems (Under Review)
4. Pandit, A., Brown, H., Newell, J. P., Chang, M. E., Weissburg, M., Xu, M., … Crittenden, J. C. (2017). “Infrastructure Ecology: An Evolving Paradigm for Sustainable Urban Development”. Journal of Cleaner Production, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.09.010
5. James, J-A.C., Thomas, V., Pandit, A., Crittenden, J.C. (2016) “Water, air emissions, and cost impacts of air-cooled microturbines for combined cooling, heating and power (CCHP) systems: A case study in the Atlanta region” Engineering, 2 (4), 470-480.
6. Pandit, A., Crittenden, J.C. (2016) “Index of Network Resilience (INR) for Urban Water Systems” International Journal of Critical Infrastructure, 12(1/2), 120-142.
7. Pandit, A., Lu, Z., Crittenden, J.C. (2015). “Managing the Complexity of Urban Systems” Journal of Industrial Ecology 19(2), 201-204.
8. Pandit, A., Crittenden, J.C. (2015) “Resilient Urban Systems: Where We Stand Now and Where We Need to Go” Solutions, 6(1), 74-81.
9. Minsker, B., Baldwin, L., Crittenden, J., …, Pandit, A., Parker, J., Rivera, S., Surbeck, C., Wallace, W., and Williams, J. (2015). "Progress and Recommendations for Advancing Performance-Based Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure Design." J. Water Resour. Plann. Manage., 141(12): A4015006.
10. Sengupta, S., Pandit, A (2011) “Selective Removal of Phosphorus from Wastewater Combined with Its Recovery as a Solid-Phase Fertilizer” Water Research, 45(11), 3318-3330.
11. Ergas, S. J., Sengupta, S., Siegel, R., Pandit, A., Yao, Y., Yuan, X (2010) “Performance of Nitrogen Removing Bioretention Systems for Control of Agricultural Runoff” Journal of Environmental Engineering, 136(10), 1105-1112.
- CE 571: Biological Wastewater Treatment
- CE 572: Physicochemical Water Treatment
- CE 590: Water Chemistry
- CE 592: Surface Water Quality Modeling
- EG 270: Engineering Thermodynamics
- CE 370: Introduction to Environmental Engineering
- CE 374: Environmental Engineering Laboratory
- CE 412/512: Sustainability and Management of Infrastructure Systems
- CE 470/590: Water and Wastewater Treatment Design
- CE 471: Water and Wastewater Treatment Design Laboratory
- CE 494: Environmental Transport Modeling