2019 Coastal Venture Competition
What is the Coastal Venture Competition?
The Coastal Venture Competition is an inaugural two-stage competition. For the first stage students will submit a 1-2 minute video describing their business idea/product. In the second stage finalists will prepare a presentation of their idea/product to present live in front of a panel of judges and an audience for a chance to win $4,000
How do I enter the Coastal Venture Competition?
• To enter the first stage of the Coastal Venture Competition students create a short
video (1-2 minutes) explaining their business idea. If you are unsure of how to make a video, or if you would like access to video making
equipment please see Dr. Nelson in The Mitchell College of Business Room 116. The video should inform the viewer in an entertaining manner about who the entrepreneur
is, what his or her business does or will do, who the customers are, and why those
customers might buy what the entrepreneur is selling.
The video can be submitted by posting it on youtube* and sending a link to the video with your name, jagmail, college of study, and J# to email@example.com. You will receive a confirmation email when your video has been received.
*It is important to note if you wish to keep your video private you can post it on YouTube as unlisted (NOT private) or bring it on a flash drive to Dr. Nelson in The Mitchell College of Business Room 116.
• For the second stage of the competition you will be notified if you are a finalist. Finalist will prepare a 10 slide presentation of their business idea and present it live to a panel of judges and an audience. Student presentations will be judged on presentation quality & professionalism, likelihood of success, understanding of various aspects of their business, and ability to answer questions directly related to their business. *Any supplemental material must be submitted with presentation.*
** All videos become the property of the Melton Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and may be used to promote the Melton Center and future contests. However, if you share your video privately we won’t show it to anyone other than the judges**
|Competition Information Session||February 12, 2019||3:00 PM||MCOB 220|
|Competition Information Session||February 28, 2019||12:00 PM||MCOB 220|
|Competition Information Session||March 6, 2019||4:00 PM||MCOB 204|
|Videos Due||March 29, 2019||5:00 PM||N/A|
|Finalist Presentations & Supplemental Materials Due||April 11, 2019||5:00 PM||N/A|
|Pitch Competition Finals||April 12, 2019||1:00 PM - 5:00 PM||TBD|
• You must be a University of South Alabama student to participate.
• All submissions must be legal, moral, ethical, and may not represent the University of South Alabama in a bad light.
• The Melton Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation is the final arbiter of a business’s eligibility for inclusion in the Coastal Venture Competition.