Professional Liability Insurance
Among the requirements for admission to Teacher Education Candidacy in USA’s College of Education is proof of professional liability insurance. While professional liability insurance may be purchased from a variety of vendors, the simplest way to obtain coverage is through the National Education Association (NEA). Please follow the steps below to join NEA, which automatically includes professional liability insurance. Go to www.nea.org.
- To the right of the logo, there is a blue header. Inside the header, click on the words “JOIN NEA”.
- Page 1 - HOW TO JOIN THE ASSOCIATION
- Different types of memberships are listed. Scroll to the bottom and click on “Student Memberships”.
- Page 2 - JOIN THE NEA STUDENT PROGRAM. CLICK ON THE STATE WHERE YOU ARE ATTENDING SCHOOL.
- Click on “Alabama”.
- Page 3 – STUDENT ENROLLMENT/RENEWAL FORM
- If you have been a member in the past, click on CHECK MY MEMBERSHIP STATUS. If you membership is no longer valid, follow the step to renew.
- FIRST TIME ENROLLEES ONLY: If you have never been a member of NEA and purchased Liability Insurance, and are not required to purchase liability insurance immediately for a current course or field experience, take advantage of the Early Enrollment Program and wait until after April 1st to enroll. Click on “Enroll for Next Membership Year, September 1, 2016 to August 31, 2017.” Although it states that coverage begins September 1, 2016, when you print your verification letter from their website, the letter will state that you are covered immediately – from the day you joined through August 31, 2017.
Remember to add $3.50 for local dues when you are registering. This will bring your total to $28.50.
You must provide a copy of your registration (whether you join online or via mail) as proof that you have liability insurance. You will need to provide this documentation to the Advising Center or the Office of Student Services when you are applying for admission to teacher candidacy. You will also need to provide this documentation to the Office of Field Services when you are applying for student teaching. Remember that annual membership for NEA begins September 1st and ends August 31st. You are responsible for maintaining your membership in order to provide documentation of professional liability insurance for both teacher candidacy and student teaching purposes.