Second Year Experience
Ready for the Next Level!
For many of us, the second year can be quite a strange time in our lives, as it is a significant period of transition. To help with this transition, Second Year Experience (SYE) is here as a multi-faceted effort for the success of second year students here at South. We use evidence-based high impact practices to increase student retention by directing students to available resources on campus. A major focus of SYE is to assist students who are first generation or have an unmet financial need. A team of specially trained professionals are here to support second year students. This team includes a vice president, a director, a coordinator, and an academic records specialist.
We are committed to ensuring that underserved students are given the useful resources they need to better cement their success on and off campus.
- Transformational Leadership Program - Leadership skills development for second-year students connecting them to experiences such as internships, study abroad, undergraduate research, experiential learning, and diversity/global learning.
- Experiential Learning - Getting experience and course credit has never been easier.
- Academic Coaching - A great way to get started picking what path a student wishes to walk.
- Center for Academic Excellence - An amplified learning center offering tutoring and a variety of other free services to help USA students succeed.
The Transformational Leadership Program is a leadership and skills development program for second-year students, with a special focus on students who identify as first-generation, have unmet financial needs, and/or from a minoritized group in higher education, which supports strategic efforts to close equity gaps and graduate more students. This position requires the Faculty to dedicate 10-12 hours per semester to the guidance and development of the students within the program. Each Faculty Fellow will be a part of a nine month (August-May) Faculty Learning Community hosted by USA's Innovation in Learning Center to maximize their ability to assist the students.
Responsibilities of the Faculty Fellow include:
- Active participation in the ILC SYE Faculty Learning Community
- Building a productive and trusting mentor/mentee relationship with up to five students
- Helping students develop SMART goals and action plans for their second year
- Provide insight on various scholarships, work-study, and internship opportunities as well as appropriate university resources that benefit student growth
- Collaborate with professional staff to provide accurate and relevant information
- Submission of end-of-semester reporting documentation through the ILC SYE Faculty Learning Community
Our Team is on Your Team
|Activity Director||Coordinator||Academic Records Specialist|
|Kristi Clayton||Donnie Lindsey||Ricky DuPree|
|(251-) 460-7074||(251-) 341-4065||(251-) 341-4064|