Canvas Transition Information for Faculty
The LMS migration has concluded, and all courses should now be taught in Canvas. Sakai
will be available to Faculty through May 2021. Please begin archiving any materials
you wish to save.
Need Help Duplicating Your Canvas Course?
After 9 years of using Sakai, South Alabama is changing its learning management system (LMS). It’s “Bye Bye Sakai” and “Hello Canvas”. The Innovation in Learning Center within the Office of Academic Affairs has recommended Canvas after an 8-month review process that included vendor demonstrations, hands-on testing by a campus task force of faculty, staff and students and conversations with other institutions who have made the transition from Sakai. By moving to Canvas, the university community will be able to access a modern LMS with intuitive tools for building courses and learning with them, mobile apps for faculty and students, easier collaboration and feedback using multimedia tools and enhanced grading capabilities.
Canvas Fundamentals for Faculty Fully Online Course
Please register using the form below and select which month you would like to begin training. Completion of the final module of training should be completed ***no later than the last day of the month you choose***. Upon signing up here, you will be enrolled in the course (within three business days) and an email with instructions for getting started will be sent to you. Once registered the training course can be found by visiting Canvas LMS. Please login using your complete Jag # (J00123456) and email password. For more information on training please visit our USAonline Training Page.
If you need help completing a module task after hours please consult our USAonline Training Page for technical support information (available 24/7). They will not be able to address issues such as: fundamentals course enrollment or removal. This must be addressed to the ILC.
Click here to enroll in Online Training Course
I finished the course, where is my certificate?
I need a proctoring solution for my course
Please visit the USA Proctoring Center page for more information. Restrictions apply to which courses are eligible.
Sakai Course Migration Information
- No more formal migrations can be processed by the ILC. The deadline to submit Sakai sites (course sites and project sites) was originally April 30, then extended to a hard deadline of July 31.
- If you wish to have additional content from Sakai migrated into Canvas, review these
guides to help you move your content in your sites:
- Please click here to find resources for backing up or downloading content from your Sakai sites.
- If you have downloaded a copy of your Sakai course using Common Cartridge export, then please click here to view a guide for importing that content in your Canvas site. Please note that this does not export quizzes or question pools successfully from Sakai but does move Resources and Lessons/Lessons Builder content fairly well.
- You will have access to Sakai until December 31, 2020, though all courses will be offered for students in Canvas for Fall 2020.
- Please remember that Banner will create course sites for every term populated with student rosters. Your task will be to import content from previous terms or your migrated sites to those course sites.
Request a Personalized Course Site
The Canvas LMS does not allow instructors or students to create Personalized Course Site/s (AKA Project Sites in Sakai). These type of sites will require the manual addition of participants by the requestor (the site is not linked to Paws/Banner). In order for this request to be fulfilled, please explain the purpose and intended use that goes beyond a simple file repository. If you intend to use this for file storage and sharing, please consider other tools the University provides, such as Google Drive.