Canvas Transition Information for Faculty
After 9 years of using Sakai, South Alabama is changing its learning management system (LMS). It’s “Bye Bye Sakai” and “Hello Canvas”. The Innovation in Learning Center within the Office of Academic Affairs has recommended Canvas after an 8-month review process that included vendor demonstrations, hands-on testing by a campus task force of faculty, staff and students and conversations with other institutions who have made the transition from Sakai. By moving to Canvas, the university community will be able to access a modern LMS with intuitive tools for building courses and learning with them, mobile apps for faculty and students, easier collaboration and feedback using multimedia tools and enhanced grading capabilities.
Canvas Fundamentals Face-to-Face Faculty Training Course
- February 7 (9am - 1pm) Friday
- February 11 (9am - 1pm) Tuesday
- February 21 (9am - 1pm) Friday
- February 28 (9am - 1pm) Friday
Upcoming Faculty Trainings (registration will open on the first of the month for which the course is offered)
- March 6 (9am - 1pm) Friday
- March 10 (9am - 1pm) Tuesday
- March 20 (9am - 1pm) Friday
All Training Sessions will be in the ILC Classroom, please bring a laptop computer
Canvas Fundamentals for Faculty Fully Online Course
Please register using the form below and select which month you would like to begin training. Completion of the final module of training should be completed no later than the last day of the month you choose. Upon signing up here, you will be enrolled in the course (within three business days) and an email with instructions for getting started will be sent to you. Once registered the training course can be found by visiting Canvas LMS. Please login using your complete Jag # (J00123456) and email password.
Sakai Course Migration Information
- You will have access to Sakai until December 31, 2020.
- Please visit the USAonline Resources page (see section "Backing Up in Sakai") for helpful guides on backing up or downloading your resources and content from Sakai.
- We will migrate sites from Sakai that use tools to deliver content and facilitate student interaction beyond the Syllabus and Resources tools.
- Please be sure to list all of the courses regardless of semester that you will need in the Canvas LMS.
Click here to submit a course for migration
Request a Personalized Course Site
The Canvas LMS does not allow instructors or students to create Personalized Course Site/s (AKA Project Sites in Sakai). These type of sites will require the manual addition of participants by the requestor (the site is not linked to Paws/Banner). In order for this request to be fulfilled, please explain the purpose and intended use that goes beyond a simple file repository. If you intend to use this for file storage and sharing, please consider other tools the University provides, such as Google Drive.
Click here to submit a request for Personalized Course Site/s