Using My GI Bill

Using the GI Bill


We understand that using educational benefits at South is an important part of being a JagVet. Although this may be a new experience, these steps can simplify the process.


▼   How do I get started?

Become a Jaguar! Once you have applied, the Admissions team will assist you with the admissions process. 

Remember to check your JagMail. This is the University's official means of communicating with you. We will send notifications to you through your JagMail, so check it early and often.

▼   Which educational benefit should I use?

We encourage you to research educational benefits you may qualify. 

Learn about VA Educational Benefit chapters here. 

▼   How do I apply for benefits?

Complete the application for VA Educational benefits at Shortly after submitting the application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the Veterans Administration.

                 A. Provide the Office of Veterans Affairs a copy of your Certification of Eligibility

                 B. Create a file in the Office of Veterans Affairs by completing the following forms:

Database Entry Sheet

File Data Sheet

Statement of Understanding.


C. If you have used your veterans benefits prior using them at South, go to and complete the VA Form 22-1995 (veterans) or VA Form 22-5495 (dependents), Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.  Provide a copy of the confirmation page to the Office of Veterans Affairs.



▼   When will I receive my stipend and benefits?

This depends on the chapter of your benefit.

Undergraduate Students

A. For students using Chapter 33 Post 9/11, you must submit a Request for Certification. Your Request for Certification must be signed by your academic advisor every semester verifying the courses enrolled in are in accordance with your degree plan. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that your Request for Certification is submitted before the start of the academic term. The Office of Veterans Affairs will process your certification request. You may email your signed Request for Certification to for quicker processing results. Your tuition and fees will be paid directly to the University from the Veterans Administration, while your Monthly Housing Allowance and books Stipend will be paid directly to the student.

 B.  Students using Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 will need to submit their Request for Certification and complete their monthly verification by telephone at (877) 823-2378 or by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment  (W.A.V.E) system (

C. If using Chapter 35, please submit a request for certification. Your stipend will be provided to the student from the Veterans Administration. 

D. Students who are using Chapter 31 will need to provide a copy of your 22-1905 once received from your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. The Veterans Administration will send payment for tuition and fees (as indicated on the student's 22-1905) directly to the University. You will also submit a Request for Certification,  then the Office of Veterans Affairs will email USA Bookstore, where you will pick up your textbooks from the Scholarship Desk. 


Graduate Students

A. Graduate students may submit a degree plan that outlines the courses required to meet their degree requirements. Once the Office of Veterans Affairs has received your degree plan, please email us at and let us know the number of credit hours you plan on taking for the semester. 

B. Graduate students also have the option to  email your signed Request for Certification to for quicker processing results. 

C. Once you have been certified, your benefits will be disbursed in a similar fashion as undergraduate students. Please see the undergraduate  section above for details. 


▼   I've been certified, when will I get paid?
Once you have been certified, it can take as much as 6-8 weeks for the VA educational benefits to be fully processed. We encourage you to submit documents for your file and complete the Request for Certification as soon as possible.