Admissions at the University of South Alabama
Frequently Asked Questions
Advising Majors FAQ
Meal Plan/ID/Parking FAQ
Transfer Information FAQ
Registration FAQ
Orientation FAQ
Miscellaneous FAQ
Admissions Home
Contact the admissions department at South AlabamaCONTACT US

USA Office of Admissions
2500 Meisler Hall
390 Alumni Circle
Mobile, AL 36688-0002

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Central Time, Monday-Friday
Phone: (251) 460-6141 or
(800) USA-JAGS
FAX: (251) 460-7876


Miscellaneous FAQ  

Q. What is the purpose of USA Days? 
A. USA Days are USAs Saturday visiting days for prospective students and their parents to visit the campus. These days include meetings (with deans, faculty, students, financial aid officers and admissions officers), a tour of the campus (including residence halls), and a variety of other events. The program begins at 9:00 am central time and concludes at approximately 3:00 pm. Click here to register to be a part of USA Days online .

Q. How safe is the campus? 
A. Very Safe. There is a University Police Department on campus that consists of a Chief, three Sergeants, an investigator, a Crime Prevention Specialist, four Corporals, thirteen Officers, and one administrative person. All sworn officers have completed the minimum standards for Police Officers for the State of Alabama. University police have full powers granted by the State of Alabama. Police matters are handled within the department, including arrest, initial complaint taking and criminal investigations. Crime reports are submitted to local law enforcement as needed for cooperative or mutual investigative purposes. 
Q. What activities does USA have to offer? 
A. USA has 182 student clubs and organizations ranging from intramural sports to SGA and Greek organizations. There really is something for everyone here.

Q. What fraternities/sororities does USA have? 
A.  USA has 8 sororities: Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Sigma Theta, Kappa Delta, Phi Mu and Zeta Phi Beta. USA also has 10 fraternities: Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Kappa Sigma, Omega Psi Phi, Pi Kappa Alpha, Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon and Phi Beta Sigma.


Q. How does the pre-paid college tuition program work? 
A. The pre-paid college tuition program is  set up by parents and is paid up in installments and then can be used for college tuition. USA does accept the pre-paid tuition program for the state of Alabama. We also accept Florida's plan with a few fees for the transfer.


Q. What types of Graduate programs does USA offer? 
A.  The Graduate School offers many different graduate degrees with numerous areas of concentration. Visit theGraduate School web site for more information.


Q. Does USA have a campus radio/television station? 
A. USA does have a television station, Jag TV, and it is seen in all of the residence halls as well as various buildings throughout the campus.

Q. Is USA fully accredited? 
A. USA was admitted to membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) at an annual meeting on December 4, 1968. The total program of the institution was fully accredited by this action. In addition to the Southern Association, USA has programs accredited by the following organizations:  
the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, the American Chemical Society Committee on Professional Training, the Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs, the American Medical Association Council on Medical Education, the American Occupational Therapy Association, the American Physical Therapy Association, the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association, the Association of American Medical Colleges, the Computer Sciences Accreditation Commission, the Joint Revue Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology, the National Accreditation Association for the Clinical Laboratory Sciences, the National Association of Schools of Music, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, the National League for Nursing and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.

Q. If I get an education degree at USA, can I teach in any state? 
A. Not necessarily. Our education programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and USA does offer education programs that lead to certification (although not all of our education programs involve certification). If you are enrolled in a program that leads to certification, you will receive (upon graduation) a stamp on your transcript from NCATE. This stamp (through NCATE) is recognized in 46 states, allowing you to teach in any of them (although some states, like Texas have additional requirements). The remaining 4 states do not honor an NCATE stamp (from any school). Please visit NCATE's website for more information. 


Q. Is USA a 2 or a 4 year college? 
A. USA is a 4 year university, however, we do have several 2 year programs that allow certification.

Q. What is the ACM (Academic Common Market) and what does it apply to at USA? 
A. The ACM is a cooperative tuition-reduction agreement among SREB (Southern Regional Education Board) States. If the public institutions in the students home state don't offer programs in a particular field of study, it may be possible to arrange a waiver of out-of-state tuition to attend a cooperating SREB public institution of higher education in another participating state. Students must be admitted to the college or university with the particular program. Then the student should contact the ACM Coordinators for their home state (not the state where the institution is located) to go through the process to determine eligibility. For information about what the ACM applies to, please visit the SREB's website .


Contact the admissions department at South AlabamaIMPORTANT DATES