The following current information is supplied for your assistance in applying for an intramural research grant:
- All applications involving human use require approval of the Institutional Review Committee. Applications involving biohazards require approval of the Institutional Biohazards Committee. IRB Protocol format and information may be obtained from SuzAnne Robbins, (251) 460-6808. Approval of biohazards may be obtained from Alison Henry, (251) 460-6509.
- Applications involving animal use require approval of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. Each investigator submitting a grant application must have an approved IACUC protocol in his/her own name in order to be cleared for this approval. Protocol format and information may be obtained from Danny Housley in the IACUC Office, (251) 460-6863.
- These committee approvals must be obtained before funds will be released for your research project. JIT forms will be required if protocol is not approved by the application submission date. JIT forms can be found at http://www.southalabama.edu/hsgrants/jitforms.html.
- The budget item page should be complete, indicating the percentage of effort you will devote to this project, and there should be justification for each budget item. If more than one year's research is involved in your research plan, point out what you hope to accomplish in the one year of intramural funding.
- In compliance with NIH regulations, be sure to indicate in your application under Human Use and/or under Vertebrate Animals the specific information required.
- The USA Cancer Research Fund requires a transmittal sheet to be completed with each intramural application. Since this same form is used when submitting an extramural application, this form has been modified for this purpose.
- Approvals: You must sign and date as the Principal Investigator and your chair and dean must sign and date the form as well. If you are faculty in the College of Medicine, Ashley W. Turbeville will sign on behalf of the dean. If another faculty member will devote effort to the project, then that faculty member and his/her chair must also sign and date. If you cross colleges then you must also have the faculty member, chair and dean of the college sign the transmittal sheets.
- The Research Advisory Committee receives intramural applications twice a year. Please call Ms. Ashley W. Turbeville or Ms. Maria C. Greenwald at (251) 460-6307 if we can help you in any way with information or necessary forms.
- Submit all materials as PDF files to Ms. Ashley W. Turbeville, USA Health Systems Grants Administration and Development, by May 1, 2012. Please mail original signature hard copies in campus mail to Ms. Ashley W. Turbeville, USA Health Systems Grants Administration and Development, CSAB 170.
USA Cancer Research Fund RFA
USA Cancer Research Fund Transmittal Sheet
USA Cancer Research Fund Transmittal Instructions
USA Cancer Research Fund Application
USA Cancer Research Fund Application Instructions