Creativity takes courage. — Henri Matisse
Oracle Submissions Guidelines // DEADLINE OCT 30, 2014
Submission of Written Work
- Submit each piece of work, including author bio, in separate documents and name each file “[Last Name]_[Title of Piece].” No more than one piece should be on a single document. Identifying information should be nowhere on the page. Include a bio of 150 words or less. E-mail submissions in a Word document. Submissions will not be accepted in any other format.
- Fiction and Nonfiction: Maximum of three (3) submissions. No more than 3000 words. Double spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman or Times typeface.
- Poetry: Maximum of three (3) submissions. 200 lines or less. 12-point, Times New Roman or Times typeface. Format your work as you wish it to be read. Though we will be publishing poetry of any kind, we are particularly interested in hybrid works, concrete poetry, and forms we’ve never seen before.
- Stage/Screenplays: Maximum of three (3) scenes. Include a brief synopsis of the entire work and an explanation of the submitted scenes. Introductions should be no more than five sentences. 12-point, Times New Roman or Times typeface. Format your work as you wish it to be read.
- Written submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All submissions must be previously unpublished.
Submission of Artwork
- For each piece of work, specify what medium you used and what category you would like to submit to in the body of your submission e-mail. Make sure your work is titled. Submit all work in CMYK, 300 dpi, JPEG format, and title each document “[Last Name]_[Title of Work].” In a separate Word document, submit an author bio of 150 words or less.
- Categories: Ceramics, Painting, Illustration, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Drawing, Glass
- Maximum of three (3) pieces in each category per artist.
- If you need your work photographed, you must deliver it to the office of diane gibbs in the Graphic Design Building of the Visual Arts Department, Room VAB 342.
- Art submissions should be sent to email@example.com
Theme for 2015
Though we encourage submissions of any theme, this year we are particularly interested in written work and artwork that is focused on human anatomy, the body, prosthetics/amputations, and medical technology. This can be taken literally or abstractly. Written work can be both creative
or critical. Do not let this deter you from submitting work of any theme! We want it all.
For Additional Information
If you have any questions about layout or formatting, please check out the current issue, available in the English and Art Departments, to get an idea of the specifications and limitations.
The Oracle Editors understand that not all artistic endeavors fit neatly into these categories. If you have any questions regarding these submission guidelines, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that submission of work to Oracle gives Oracle the right to publish the work in the upcoming issue. Writers and artists retain copyright over their works.
It takes Oracle editors and designers 6 months from the current submission deadline to complete the issue and make final decisions about which works will be published. At this time, all those who submitted works for consideration will be notified at the email address from which they originally submitted the work. If you need to know the status of your work, please email email@example.com.